Best Receiver for new entertainment setup

P

PlaidJack

Audiophyte
Hi,
I am looking to get a new receiver for my system that will allow the game system to send the power to the television and will give the power for the speakers I have. The more I look into it, the more confused I am getting. Here is what I currently have.

Channelmaster for OTA television
X box Series X
LG OLED CX 65 inch television
Definitive Technology BP 7004 Speakers with accompanying Center Channel and rear speakers.
There is no sub-woofer as the built is subs and center channel sub is plenty for me.

My wife is also wanting me to entertain the idea of a Sonos ARC soundbar to thin down the entertainment center.

Question 1: What would be a solid choice for a receiver? (looking to spend around $1000)
Question 2: Is a Soundbar a solid option or am I sacrificing a lot of sound quality?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Question 1: What would be a solid choice for a receiver
  • I would check offerings from Denon / Marantz / Yamaha
  • Your speakers have a high sensitivity rating, so anyone of those models should work
  • Since you have a XBSX and a TV that supports VRR & 120hz gaming, I suggest you take that into consideration when picking receiver. (i.e. current models)
Question 2: Is a Soundbar a solid option or am I sacrificing a lot of sound quality?
  • Yes, you will sacrificing a lot, not to mention connectivity options.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi PlaidJack,

I'm assuming you wanted to keep this simple, so I'd suggest you use ARC HDMI connection from the TV to the HT Receiver you buy. (I'd probably steer you towards a Denon that's capable of Dual Subs at that price point. Where are you located?) That way the TV Tuner output can flow back to the Receiver when you are watching TV if you want to listen to it in your HT setup. You'd plug the XBox into the Game HDMI input in the Receiver.

Most current HT Receivers "pass-through" the last input when the Receiver is shut down so folks who just want TV Sound don't have to fuss with the HT Receiver. My Misses would drive me crazy if we didn't have this feature. I always try to remember to set our to TV (CBL/Sat in our case) when I shut down.

Like Cos said above:

• Yes, you will sacrificing a lot, not to mention connectivity options.
There is now way I'd move off what you have speaker wise into a Soundbar!

I hope this is helpful.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Wait for sale on x4500 or new onkyo models coming next year ...
Soundbar are junk compared to even most cheap speakers. You’rs are midrange so significantly better then a soundbar!!! Keep what you got maybe add a bigger sub for clearer bass .a 15” would be perfect look around at various brands ... wish I could move my 15” to my main room , but nagging mom probably won’t allow it ...
Best part of my system, rarely used now ..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis