Best receiver/amp in the world?

P

PierreIsHere

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>I am willing to bye the Denon AVC-A1SR(Denon AVR-5803 in the States), I compared it online to the Sunfire Ultimate Receiver and the Pioneer Flagship and the Onkyo 989 Upgrade 2. I decided on the Denon, it's going to cost me 4500$ from a local dealer. Shall I go separates? Sunfire? B&amp;K 507?

I can be more specific about the details if anyone is willing to suggest anything.

In other words, would 4500$ get me a decent Processor/pre-amp, and separate power amps enough to outperform the Denon AVR-5803?

My current receiver is the Sony STR-777ES. Previous amps, Yamaha DSPA1, and Yamaha 2092.</font>

P

PierreIsHere

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>I think I'm going separates!!

I'm now looking into the B&amp;K Ref50 processor/pre-amp and the B&amp;K 200.7 power amp.

Researching those processors also:

Anthem AV20
Tag Maclaren AV32R
Proceed AVP
Lexicon MC-1
Rotel 1066 (Rotel is releasing a new processor in May, 1098)

I am full throttle on this now, do not hesitate to contact me on msn,yahoo,icq.

I have to make a purchase soon, my new speakers are hanging on the walls, very vexing.

Comments, suggestions pls.</font>

R

rpgonzalez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>STOP! hehe.. now that I have your attention. Hmm, .. the denon seperates will cost more than they are worth IMO. I think you figured that out. You are going into processors.. I personally have found even &quot;hi end&quot; processors to be riddled with sonic problems. Too many things happening at once, too many things in the &quot;way&quot; of true transparency. Of course seperates instead of a receiver will help this problem. I have also found DVD's to have lesser quality than redbook especially if you intend to do something crazy like get a DVD-a player.(I know RLA is loading the shotgun as I write &nbsp;
) The longevity of multi-channel for music is a roll of the dice. Not only that, but my two channel set up runs circles around a surround system at producing 3d imaging...

Anyway, so I bought an HK AVR-500 for movies. I dont notice the loss in audio quality because my eyes are busy popping out my head because of the DVD player I could afford. &nbsp;Then I went for an integrated two channel. The likes of Creek, Arcam , Naim, Plinius, Musical Fidelity, LFD, Unison research, Classe, Bryston and nohr for music wil knock a 3-4k procesor/seperate system to the curb.

My system:
HK AVR-500 receiver
Arcam A-85 integrated
Silver lace Interconnect
Belden Digital IC
$2300

that leaves room for a used bel canto outboard dac, power line conditioner, upgraded speaker cable, and a pair of axiom M80's. &nbsp;

Good-day</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PierreIsHere

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Gonzalez,

Thanks for the reply  

I am not going for the Denon separates, initially I was taken by the Denon AVR-5803 (Denon's flagship receiver).

I like everything about the Denon AVR-5803, absolutely everything you could ask for in a receiver, except for the remote control.

BUT, while reading about the Denon, I noticed the B&amp;Ks, I'm talking about the B&amp;K Ref 50 processor/preamp and the B&amp;K 200.7 power amp.

In my part of the world the difference will be 1000$.

So what shall I go for? Denon AVR-5803 Receiver or the B&amp;Ks?

Or anything else suggested for the price of 5500$?

As for the DVD player, I'd like to wait a little at this stage.

Regards,</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rpgonzalez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>In that case... the B&amp;K is the best processor on the market IMO without spending some super extreme amt of money. &nbsp;I have heard good stuff only. The denon... well.. the denon is tweeters house brand. &nbsp;I havent heard it... but denon is typically mid-fi and B&amp;K is typaically hi fi (as far as audiophiles are concerned).</font>

P

PierreIsHere

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>I am outside the US, so I need some help with where can I buy it online from a reliable and cost efficient source where they accept international credit card...

I've looked into the Aragon Stage One pre-amp and the Aragon 2007 7x200 watts 8 ohms both THX Ultra 2, for 5898$.

The B&amp;Ks 5410$.</font>

A

autochicago

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>If you want a B&amp;K Ref 50, buy one on eBay from someone willing to ship it to you. &nbsp;You can typically pick one up for around $2,500, usually new in box.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Pierre,
I don't know if you've purchased anything yet but your evaluation of the 5803 is bang on.
Recent professional reviews have equated it to all but the Highest end Separates.

I have the upgraded 5800 (with the Denon link). &nbsp;There are 2 factors with this unit compared to others that are some times overlooked.
POWER: It is THX ULTRA2 cetified with 170w of power. &nbsp;This means that it has 7 completly separate 170w amplifiers. &nbsp;I run 2 sets of 4ohm speakers (Totem Model 1) and in a smallish room of 15x10x8 &nbsp;at a balance output of 75db I only get to minus 24 on the volume dial and thr eciever is not even warm to the touch.
Flexibility: You don't have wait for expensive combi dvd-a/sacd players so you can use both formats conveniently. &nbsp;The 5803 has 2 sets of analog in's so you can buy discontinued players of each cheaply and let the Denon do the A/D conversion.

Setup: you can do distancing from your speakers in .1ft or meter incrments.
This unit is awsome it even upconversts s/vid to component for video.

Now the bad part. &nbsp;The Manual is terrible but we have a forum that will get you through it.

I know they don't give it away but i love mine and feel it's cheap for what it does.

Pierre I&quot;m not against separates but i means that you have to make all the right decisions with regard to the components.

good luck,
Peter m.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The Pioneer flagship model ASX10i is very well reveiwed as both an AV and music performer ..... especially when used in partnership with the Pioneer iLink top-of-the-range DVD player. (787 I think)
This combination also allows the signal from the DVD player through to the processor to remain in the digital domain which apparently makes a noticeable difference in sound.

It also has a pretty sophisticated internal processor for tuning speakers to your room.

Cheers</font>

P

PierreIsHere

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>If I am to get a receiver it'll be the Denon 5803, but I'm going the separates way. I didn't purchase anything yet, I was convinced that the B&amp;K Ref. 50 &amp; the B&amp;K 200.7 is the best combo for me and I even negotiated a price with a dealer, but then I came along lots of complaints about a hum or a hiss and some quality control issues with the B&amp;K Ref. 50 and Parasound released the Halo C1 &amp; C2, so I'm waiting again.

IMO the Anthem AVM-20 is a great preamp, but since I'm outside the US the multi voltage is an issue for me, the AVM-20 is 120V 60Hz only while the B&amp;K and the Parasound are ~110V-220V 50-60Hz.

If I got a good price on the Parasound C2 preamp and the A51 5x250W-8Ohms amp I'll go for it.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>hello,
i just thought i share my own views on separates. i have been through a number of recievers from yamaha to onkyo and denon. and countless other brands and although they are very good they just can't compare to the quality of good separates.i personally own the B&amp;K REF 50 mated to a parasound 6 channel amp. i listen to both music and i enjoy home theater. the B&amp;K REF 50 is outstanding very awesome pre/pro. i also use to own the ref 30 i have had no problems with the B&amp;K pre/pros. i have seen all the great reviews on the pre/pros from various websites and magazines, and i have to agree that for the money the B&amp;K ref 50 is possibly the best. you can also find the ref 30 for about 1200 on e-bay and audiogon. just thought i share my opionon. hope this was helpful to you.  have a great day</font>

R

Rolystone44

Audiophyte
what to do?

Hello
I have about $1.500 to spend on a receiver, but I don't know which one to buy, I was looking on the Onkyo tx-nr901 , the yamaha htr 5790 or the Denon avr-4802R, I need some advice please, I have good set of 7 speakers w/ onkyo tx-ds777 5.1, but now is broken and I want to go higher

R

Rolystone44

Audiophyte
what to do???????

How you doing body, I'm want to buy a good receiver for 1500, I was looking on the Onkyo tx-nr901, the yamaha rx-v2500 and the Denon avr-4802R, any advice will be serious consider, I have a good set of 7 speakers and a subwoofer W/ Onkyo tx-ds777 5.1 but I want to upgrade, please show me the way

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis