Best quarterback ever??

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Alright, in honor of Brett Favre's last game (maybe), I want to know who you think is the best quarterback ever.

I'm going to go with Joe Montana. I don't know if he would have been nearly as great if he didn't have great players around him, but he sure was a winner and he made the game look extremely easy. Those 49er teams were the best offensive teams ever in my opinion.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
1) Joe Montana, because of his absolutely inhuman ability to just win games. He didn't put up the stratospheric stats.. because he didn't have to. He just went out there and won ball games. Smart, cool, totally unaware of pressure.

1.2) Dan Marino, because of his absolutely inhuman ability to generate statistics.

1.25) John Elway, because he had a great mix of the two. The image of him diving headlong into two defenders and getting spun in the air in Super Bowl XXXII is burned into my brain.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I would say Joe Montana even thought Steve Young won one with pretty much the same cast. I just think the 49er's were that good. On talent alone Elway. As for Best QB's not to win the big one Jim Kelly, Fran Tarkenton( I LOVED THE PURPLE MACHINE:eek: )and Dan Marino:D

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Wow. 4 votes for Joe Montana. I never would have expected that.

I agree that Steve Young is right up there. If he didn't have the Dallas juggernaut to contend with, who knows how many Superbowls his 49er teams might have won.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
alandamp said:
Wow. 4 votes for Joe Montana. I never would have expected that.
Better make that 5.

I used to be into American football during the time of Joe Montana. In fact, at that time, it was the 49ers that I supported. Gosh, even then I had great taste. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Buckle-meister said:
Better make that 5.

I used to be into American football during the time of Joe Montana. In fact, at that time, it was the 49ers that I supported. Gosh, even then I had great taste. :D
Takes balls to back the favorite ;)

I hated the 49ers because they were in the same division with my beloved Saints and they always f'in won the division (except that one year :D)

I did enjoy watching them play, though... unlike the Cowboys. Even the sight of their uniform makes me disgusted.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
jonnythan said:
Takes balls to back the favorite ;)

I hated the 49ers because they were in the same division with my beloved Saints and they always f'in won the division (except that one year :D)

I did enjoy watching them play, though... unlike the Cowboys. Even the sight of their uniform makes me disgusted.
My God!! Now that takes BALLS to admit your a aint's fan. I will say this I pulled for them from time to time but that was because they sucked!! Hell I remember their fans going to the superdome with bags over their heads, but how times have changed!;) :)
PS: I was watching a Monday night game years ago when Peyton's Dad (Archie was QB) they lead 35-0 and the Raiders came back and beat them in the second half 42-35 and they finished 8-8 that year.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Joe Montana had a preternatural understanding of the entire field- I can't count the number of times he'd drop back in the pocket, scan the field and sidestep a rusher coming from behind him to deliver the ball right on target. He seemed to have eyes in the back of his head. He was incredibly accurate and completely unflappable- truly he had icewater running thru his veins. When the pressure what on, there's no QB I'd rather have running my 2 minute drill than Joe Montana in his prime.

Well, if there is another one it's Tom Brady. He has that same incredible poise and calm that Joe had. Funny, growing up Brady idolized Montana, then he grew up to possess as much of Joe's talents than any other QB I can name. He has great awareness of the field, too. It doesn't matter who he throws to, he doesn't seem to have or need a favorite target.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Maybe not the best QB overall, but I think the best pure passer had to be Dan Marino.
Montana, Young, Elway, Kelly, Favre all great. I miss watching those guys play, Brett Farve will be missed.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Rob Babcock said:
Well, if there is another one it's Tom Brady. He has that same incredible poise and calm that Joe had. Funny, growing up Brady idolized Montana, then he grew up to possess as much of Joe's talents than any other QB I can name. He has great awareness of the field, too. It doesn't matter who he throws to, he doesn't seem to have or need a favorite target.
I've already stated I'm a Saints fan, so it's hard to make this comment without sounding biased.

I see a lot of that in Drew Brees. I'm not ready to nominate him for the Hall of Fame just yet, but his ability to do just that is impressive. He's run the 2-minute drill this year as well (and consistently) as any QB I've ever watched. He throws well to every player on the field and makes mediocre receivers and backs look like all-stars. He's thrown to something like 17 receivers this year. Get him a Super Bowl ring or two and people will definitely start noticing him and talking about him as one of the greats.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Yeah, Drew Brees is a great QB and will do very well for many years, barring injury. I'd rank him top 5 of the guys playing now.

Still, Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings already. Football is a team sport but it's not like he road any coattails- he was a primary reason they won those titles.

Just between you and me, I think Brees will get his first ring this year. I think the Chargers will win it all.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
majorloser said:
Phil Simms
I am a huge Giants, and Phil Simms fan. But I'd have to vote for Joe Montana for best overall.

R

RMK!

Rob Babcock said:
Joe Montana had a preternatural understanding of the entire field- I can't count the number of times he'd drop back in the pocket, scan the field and sidestep a rusher coming from behind him to deliver the ball right on target. He seemed to have eyes in the back of his head. He was incredibly accurate and completely unflappable- truly he had icewater running thru his veins. When the pressure what on, there's no QB I'd rather have running my 2 minute drill than Joe Montana in his prime.
Easily best ever. I saw him play many times (shared season tics) and that pretty well sums it up. Elway would be #2

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Rob Babcock said:
Yeah, Drew Brees is a great QB and will do very well for many years, barring injury. I'd rank him top 5 of the guys playing now.

Still, Brady has 3 Super Bowl rings already. Football is a team sport but it's not like he road any coattails- he was a primary reason they won those titles.

Just between you and me, I think Brees will get his first ring this year. I think the Chargers will win it all.
Sorry, Rob. Brees got traded last year. Phillip Rivers is the Chargers QB. Brees will only get his ring if miracles happen and the Saints ... really are. ;)

Best qb...Sammy Baugh!! (For us old guys.)

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Joe Montana

Joe Montana for me...

28 seconds left in the superbowl, down by a score to the Bengals and he's telling the team in the huddle that John Candy is in the stands. Oh yeah, then he throws the game winning TD. You gotta be kidding me.... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis