Best Projetor for me

R

Robman02134

Audiophyte
I am moving into residence this fall and seeing as I wont be able to mount anything I decided against a TV and to go to a portable projector. My family owns a Panasonic 1080p HD Cinema Projector (PTAE4000). Beautiful product but I dont want to spend the cash.

-I am looking for a projector (400-600$) it only has to go 10'

-I will use it to mirror my computer and to play my ps3

after some research I came up with these:

Optoma Home Theater Series HD65 - DLP projector

Epson XGA Projector (EX51-N)

the main difference is that the first has HDMI ports which would be nice for gaming (but would it really make a difference?)If anyone has any opinons on the products or different ones that might match my needs I would be happy to hear them

Thank you

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you intend to watch HDTV, and would like a decent experience in any manner, get the Optoma. Avoid cheap, bottom shelf business class products like the Epson like the plague. They are not intended for home theater use.

Keep in mind, with the analog sunset fast approaching, you will need that HDMI input in the very near future.

Another nice choice is the Optoma HD20 which is $1,000 but gives you full 1080p HD for that money instead of 720p video. That's a 100% increase in pixel count.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For easier setup I suggest the Sanyo PLV-z60. One of our members recently got that PJ and it's got lens shift, and a great zoom range. Perfect for a situation where you'd probably prefer a rear shelf mount.

B

bhuskins

Audioholic Intern
Another thing to consider is last years models...higher end units drop like flies in the used market after about 12 months of discontinuation. And some of these are WAY better than the best entry level stuff out there now.

S

stealthrt

Audioholic Intern
Out of the 2 projectors you listed i would say that the Optoma Home Theater Series HD65 would be your best run for the money. Im not sure what kind of graphics card you have in your computer but if it has DVI then just get a DVI to HDMI for the Optoma Home Theater Series HD65 and you'll get better picture quality (a must for anything computer screen related.)

Hope that helps!

David

M

mozi121

Enthusiast
Hi Robman,

The Optoma HD65 Plus DLP Projector Pack includes backpack, speakers & projector Perfect for games consoles.
The Optoma HD65 Plus DLP Projector projects 720p, 1080i and 1080p high definition signals and VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA+, VESA, PC and Macintosh Compatible.

Good luck!

B

BrianATS

Audiophyte
Hi Robman,
Did you ever get your home theater set up like you wanted? I think I'd go with the Optoma with 1080p as well.
Hope it worked out!

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
If you intend to watch HDTV, and would like a decent experience in any manner, get the Optoma. Avoid cheap, bottom shelf business class products like the Epson like the plague. They are not intended for home theater use.

Keep in mind, with the analog sunset fast approaching, you will need that HDMI input in the very near future.

Another nice choice is the Optoma HD20 which is $1,000 but gives you full 1080p HD for that money instead of 720p video. That's a 100% increase in pixel count.
I don't think you mean to avoid all Epson projectors. Just XGA models like the EX51-N right?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I've had too many nightmares with the Optoma flagship projector HD81-LV and the Optoma projector screens, I personally will avoid all Optoma products.

But maybe you will have better luck.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think you mean to avoid all Epson projectors. Just XGA models like the EX51-N right?
Ha, yeah, you got that right!

If it wasn't clear, I was specifically referring to the bottom of the line junk. Keep in mind this was a somewhat necrobumped thread so there are a lot of new products coming to market.

The Epson 8350 is a budget top pick today. Similarly, the Epson 8700UB is amazing and one of the best projectors for the money out there.

Epson is making the LCD chips which Panasonic has been using for years, including the new 480hz ones for the new 3D projectors. I am really happy with what Epson makes in the home theater world.

Cheap business class projectors, from any manufacturer, are not what I would typically 'recommend'. Of course, Optoma has a 4,500 lumen 1080p projector for $1,500... For certain situations that could be exactly what someone needs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis