Best Prcessor for HDMI Video

T

Truett

Audioholic Intern
Added a Kaleidescape player to my master bedroom Marantz AV7701, but it will not play the 4K content. And won't play 4K DVDs. (The Living Room Alitude32 plays them both fine)

So I need to replace the Marantz AV7701.

I only need 5.2.4, but I want to get the very best video HDMI section for the best future-proofing.

Looking at Anthem AVM90, Marantz AV10, or even the AVM70, or a lower level Marantz. (Or others?)

Does moving to the top tier of their lines AVM-90 or Marantz AV10 make a difference on the HDMI video future proofing? Like 8k, or whatever?

Also, I believe that I would be pleased with the AVM room correction, but if I get the Marantz, I am confused on whether I would need to get Audyssey or DIRAC. Are they options? I saw that Gene didn't like something about some version of Dirac on his AV10. ??

It will also need it to be a Roon endpoint. Are any procesors I would consider, a Roon endpoint like the Altitude32? Or I could add a separate box for that if needed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't imagine there's anything better froom what I know but not familiar with all their details (i.e the Kaleidescape player). With the Marantz/Denon gear you need to purchase a separate license for the Dirac use. I'd use Audyssey and the Editor App to start.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
For the Anthem side of things, I do not believe there's anything in the AVM 90 over the AVM 70 on the video side. It's generally just expanded audio channels and better DACs/circuitry. Anthem has been advertising Roon compatibility but I don't think they've actually delivered that functionality yet - I don't actually stream to my 70 and the website still says "coming soon". Unless you must have the best audio possible in your bedroom, the 70 should be enough.

Last edited:
ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Added a Kaleidescape player to my master bedroom Marantz AV7701, but it will not play the 4K content. And won't play 4K DVDs. (The Living Room Alitude32 plays them both fine)

So I need to replace the Marantz AV7701.

I only need 5.2.4, but I want to get the very best video HDMI section for the best future-proofing.

Looking at Anthem AVM90, Marantz AV10, or even the AVM70, or a lower level Marantz. (Or others?)

Does moving to the top tier of their lines AVM-90 or Marantz AV10 make a difference on the HDMI video future proofing? Like 8k, or whatever?

Also, I believe that I would be pleased with the AVM room correction, but if I get the Marantz, I am confused on whether I would need to get Audyssey or DIRAC. Are they options? I saw that Gene didn't like something about some version of Dirac on his AV10. ??

It will also need it to be a Roon endpoint. Are any procesors I would consider, a Roon endpoint like the Altitude32? Or I could add a separate box for that if needed.
Easy. Get the Integra DRX-8.4 (or Pioneer 805 or Onkyo RZ70). Excellently reviewed by Gene, 6 HDMI 2.1 40 Gbps inputs, supports Dirac Live + DLBC, *and* is Roon Ready. In fact, I think it's the only option that hits all of your requirements, unless you count Arcam, but those units are old and have many compatibility issues with Dirac.

T

Truett

Audioholic Intern
Easy. Get the Integra DRX-8.4 (or Pioneer 805 or Onkyo RZ70). Excellently reviewed by Gene, 6 HDMI 2.1 40 Gbps inputs, supports Dirac Live + DLBC, *and* is Roon Ready. In fact, I think it's the only option that hits all of your requirements, unless you count Arcam, but those units are old and have many compatibility issues with Dirac.
Since we already have a separate amplifier (Macintosh 5 channel) I don't think I want to get a processor that has any built-in amplification. I will need to add a 4 channel amplifier for the four Atmos speakers we are adding, but I assume that those channels will not be nearly as important as the main five. May go with an Emotiva 4 channel amp for those?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Since we already have a separate amplifier (Macintosh 5 channel) I don't think I want to get a processor that has any built-in amplification. I will need to add a 4 channel amplifier for the four Atmos speakers we are adding, but I assume that those channels will not be nearly as important as the main five. May go with an Emotiva 4 channel amp for those?
Emotiva will be inferior to most (all?) built-in AVR amps. If you want a processor that's Roon Ready, I think your only options are the Arcam AV41 (again, out of date and only compatible with an old version of Dirac), StormAudio ISP Core 16, or Trinnov Altitude 16. Or you could buy the Integra and set it to full pre-amp mode.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you can afford the Altitude32 plus Marantz AV10 or VM90 for “the bedroom”, why on earth would you even touch an Emotiva? :D

T

Truett

Audioholic Intern
Emotiva will be inferior to most (all?) built-in AVR amps. If you want a processor that's Roon Ready, I think your only options are the Arcam AV41 (again, out of date and only compatible with an old version of Dirac), StormAudio ISP Core 16, or Trinnov Altitude 16. Or you could buy the Integra and set it to full pre-amp mode.
I don't want to make a mistake with an inferior amp, but is that important just for the four ATMOS speakers? Also, what do I have to add to a processor to stream Roon if it is not built in?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I don't want to make a mistake with an inferior amp, but is that important just for the four ATMOS speakers? Also, what do I have to add to a processor to stream Roon if it is not built in?
Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on burning my house down. Emotiva is filth.

If you want to stream Roon via a separate endpoint, then look into something like a Bluesound Node or Zidoo Z9X (https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/Z9X/target/VEMg6VRC2+9KKmVViAFMcQ==.html). The only drawback is that you may or may not be able to get the signal sense on your processor to automatically switch to that input when you activate Roon.

T

Truett

Audioholic Intern
Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on burning my house down. Emotiva is filth.

If you want to stream Roon via a separate endpoint, then look into something like a Bluesound Node or Zidoo Z9X (https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/Z9X/target/VEMg6VRC2+9KKmVViAFMcQ==.html). The only drawback is that you may or may not be able to get the signal sense on your processor to automatically switch to that input when you activate Roon.
Glad you pointed this out. Maybe I will consider a four-channel "D" amp from ATI. Any others to consider?

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Glad you pointed this out. Maybe I will consider a four-channel "D" amp from ATI. Any others to consider?
ATI's good. That would be my choice. You could also look at some of the Monoprice home theatre amps that have been reviewed well here.

T

Truett

Audioholic Intern
ATI's good. That would be my choice. You could also look at some of the Monoprice home theatre amps that have been reviewed well here.
I ended up ordering a 4-channel amplifier to power the four new ceiling Atmos speakers (Focal 1000 IA6C) from Audio Control. Avalon G4. I am hoping this will pair okay with the Macintosh 5 Channel amp I already have. Any comments? Also ordered a new Marantz AV10 to replace the AV7701.

Last edited:
ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I ended up ordering a 4-channel amplifier to power the four new ceiling Atmos speakers (Focal 1000 IA6C) from Audio Control. Avalon G4. I am hoping this will pair okay with the Macintosh 5 Channel amp I already have. Any comments? Also ordered a new Marantz AV10 to replace the AV7701.
Should be good!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis