Best place to sell equipment?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have some listings here. I know about Audiogon as well. But where is the best place to sell our stuff without big setup fees? I can’t seem to sell anything here and after my last eBay expense, I’m not sure I ever want to sell with them again. Looking for alternatives. Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can always try craigslist for a simple sale.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Audiogon & Craigslist are my go to. Careful with Craigslist, but I have sold a ton there. I don't like Audiogon since their upgraded website, but used to sell often before. Never had a bad result with Audiogon

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have some listings here. I know about Audiogon as well. But where is the best place to sell our stuff without big setup fees? I can’t seem to sell anything here and after my last eBay expense, I’m not sure I ever want to sell with them again. Looking for alternatives. Thanks
My best place is Craigslist. As long as you use good common sense and follow there guidelines on how not to get burned I've never had a bad purchase or sell. Hell I just sold a hottub that came with my house that I don't use enough today. Put the posting up last night and it was gone by today

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I hate selling stuff. Craigslist is creepy, ebay is awful. Anymore I try to repurpose it to another room or give it away.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Craigslist is only as "creepy" as you allow it to be for you. Phone calls only after a couple of e-mails, meeting in person at a "safe place" such as a police station, photos of the actual item (and not pics pulled from the web) all help. Cash only.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
i created an alternate email account just for craigslist. i was jason bourne for a long time but i got too much spam and abandoned it.

facebook usually has a local page to sell whatever. it also has the marketplace.

my last ebay purchase was good. the previous one was a set of fake blurays though. got s6 & s7.

i started to click the return buttons and the chat opened up.

they refunded my money and they dealt with the seller.

i guess all of them can be the best or worst.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Have had very good luck w/Audio Mart. Audiogon is a last resort for me. The good thing is, however, if you do not sell your item in 30-days you get an additional 30-days to do so. However, I do not like the changes made to the Audiogon site. I have also used CL and/or FB in the past with some success. Might not be a bad idea to try the AVS and/or Polk classifieds sections. Best wishes @ematthews!

Cheers,

Phil

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've made most of my electronics sales on Craigslist, but a couple successes on Offerup as well.

I agree that CL leaves a slimy feel, but it works. I've sold at least 3 cars and god knows how much little stuff that way.

Alway keep in mind that there are bots crawling these websites for emails and phone numbers. Never put those in a listing as plain text. I get around it by putting my phone # in a JPEG and adding that as a listing image. So if I get a call I know it's from a real person who actually read the ad and looked at the pictures.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I've made most of my electronics sales on Craigslist, but a couple successes on Offerup as well.

I agree that CL leaves a slimy feel, but it works. I've sold at least 3 cars and god knows how much little stuff that way.

Alway keep in mind that there are bots crawling these websites for emails and phone numbers. Never put those in a listing as plain text. I get around it by putting my phone # in a JPEG and adding that as a listing image. So if I get a call I know it's from a real person who actually read the ad and looked at the pictures.
one thing to add. make sure not to have gps or any type of tags activated on your camera when snapping a pic of your handwritten phone number before sending it.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
one thing to add. make sure not to have gps or any type of tags activated on your camera when snapping a pic of your handwritten phone number before sending it.
Good point. Phone cameras can certainly betray you, if you have location info embedded. I actually did mine up in MS Word, hit Print Screen, and pasted it into MS Paint.

I learned the hard way, the first time or two that I sold a car on CL... they will spam the living daylights out of your phone if they get your number. Dealerships, bots, "we'll sell it for you for a fee" places, all those scumbags.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Good point. Phone cameras can certainly betray you, if you have location info embedded. I actually did mine up in MS Word, hit Print Screen, and pasted it into MS Paint.

I learned the hard way, the first time or two that I sold a car on CL... they will spam the living daylights out of your phone if they get your number. Dealerships, bots, "we'll sell it for you for a fee" places, all those scumbags.
same goes for ms office software. open any doc and click on info. it will have a plethora of info including yup you guessed it the name of the author.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis