Best picture settings for 2017 65” Samsung Q6 TV

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
If this isn’t in the right part of the forum I apologize, I didn’t really know where else to put it in but for anybody that has or has had one of these TVs, what are good picture settings to try to get the most out of his TV?

I know I asked for the best settings in the subject line and I know the best is always subjective to the person but what are some good picture settings that you guys are trying to get the best picture out of this TV?

The only thing I have hooked up to it is a PS4- not the pro model, an Amazon 4K fire stick and a Samsung ultra HD 4k Blu-ray player of about the same year manufacture. The rest of it that’s not streamed on the fire stick is just streamed via apps on the TV.

As far as the PlayStation, I do have game mode enabled and I think I currently do have the HDR mode turned off which seems to work the best for that but I’m really unsure about everything else and also since it wasn’t necessarily specified but what’s the best way to get a happy medium on the judder control without sacrificing the picture quality too much?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If this isn’t in the right part of the forum I apologize, I didn’t really know where else to put it in but for anybody that has or has had one of these TVs, what are good picture settings to try to get the most out of his TV?

I know I asked for the best settings in the subject line and I know the best is always subjective to the person but what are some good picture settings that you guys are trying to get the best picture out of this TV?

The only thing I have hooked up to it is a PS4- not the pro model, an Amazon 4K fire stick and a Samsung ultra HD 4k Blu-ray player of about the same year manufacture. The rest of it that’s not streamed on the fire stick is just streamed via apps on the TV.

As far as the PlayStation, I do have game mode enabled and I think I currently do have the HDR mode turned off which seems to work the best for that but I’m really unsure about everything else and also since it wasn’t necessarily specified but what’s the best way to get a happy medium on the judder control without sacrificing the picture quality too much?

Thanks.

CNet has some articles on basic TV setup. There are others besides this one but it's a good start.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertainment/tv-picture-settings-9-quick-tips-to-get-better-image-quality-now/
Some things like judder you have to experiment with as not all people like the result. I tend to leave the extra processing off unless it's really needed.
Much of this video still applies:

Last edited:
C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, I’ll check that out.

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
I’m thinking about one of these calibration discs. They any good? Also, being that I have a UHD 4k TV, fire stick and blue ray player, would I be fine with the top one or bottom one for best results, or does it matter?

https://www.biaslighting.com/products/spears-munsil-uhd-hdr-benchmark-uhd-blu-ray-disc/?rfsn=5620711.265e2a6&utm_source=refersion&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=5620711.265e2a6"

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I find Samsung TVs frustrating to setup. Ultimately, you will settle on the settings that please your eye and they may not necessarily be those recommended by one outfit or another after a calibration. Not sure of the exact model or region of the TV, but if there is one setting to be sure to turn on in the TV, it is the UHD color setting for each of the HDMI ports. With it off, HDR signals will be chopped off at the knees. I'm assuming everything is connected directly to the TV as no receiver was mentioned in any of the posts. If you find signal disruptions after turning on UHD color, your HDMI cables may not be up to the task.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The advantage to a calibration disk is that it is produced to a particular standard. Colours, contrast, hue and brightness, etc. can vary between TV, web and disk content. The CNet video gets most people close enough. Depends on how picky you want to be. ;) If the Firestick or disk player support 4k might as well get the UHD disk for some future proofing.

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
I find Samsung TVs frustrating to setup. Ultimately, you will settle on the settings that please your eye and they may not necessarily be those recommended by one outfit or another after a calibration. Not sure of the exact model or region of the TV, but if there is one setting to be sure to turn on in the TV, it is the UHD color setting for each of the HDMI ports. With it off, HDR signals will be chopped off at the knees. I'm assuming everything is connected directly to the TV as no receiver was mentioned in any of the posts. If you find signal disruptions after turning on UHD color, your HDMI cables may not be up to the task.
I’ve got the UHD enabled on all hdmi inputs.

The region should be USA and the model number is QN65Q7FAM.

And yes, everything is hooked into the TV.

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
The advantage to a calibration disk is that it is produced to a particular standard. Colours, contrast, hue and brightness, etc. can vary between TV, web and disk content. The CNet video gets most people close enough. Depends on how picky you want to be. ;) If the Firestick or disk player support 4k might as well get the UHD disk for some future proofing.
It’s not that I want to be or even end up being ultra picky, I just want a good picture for my TV.

But what does the UHD disk do that the one before it doesn’t? I figured the one I ordered, which is the first link in my post a few posts above would suffice.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It’s not that I want to be or even end up being ultra picky, I just want a good picture for my TV.

But what does the UHD disk do that the one before it doesn’t? I figured the one I ordered, which is the first link in my post a few posts above would suffice.

DVDs are 480i. Standard blue-rays support 1080p. UHD is 4k which is 3840x2160. 4k TVs will upsample 1080p content to 4k. Your blue-ray player may upsample as well. The standard benchmark disk is likely 1080p while the UHD disk will have 4k content. For the purpose of setting colours and contrast etc. either should get the job done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My Samsung plasmas have extensive settings suitable for use with calibration devices (like a Calman or Xrite or other such). Using a setting someone else found useful on their particular model doesn't mean it will work on yours in any case, get a real calibration if worried. The test patterns built into mine are similar to that provided on some speciality discs i picked up....but having the basics set according to such patterns can be useful and get you much of the way "there". Just copying someone else's preference settings I wouldn't put too much into.

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
DVDs are 480i. Standard blue-rays support 1080p. UHD is 4k which is 3840x2160. 4k TVs will upsample 1080p content to 4k. Your blue-ray player may upsample as well. The standard benchmark disk is likely 1080p while the UHD disk will have 4k content. For the purpose of setting colours and contrast etc. either should get the job done.
The blue ray player is Samsung and it is UHD 4k along with the TV so should I cancel my order of the regular Blu-ray version and get the other one?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The blue ray player is Samsung and it is UHD 4k along with the TV so should I cancel my order of the regular Blu-ray version and get the other one?
I think you're fine with the regular blue-ray. Settings for things like hue, contrast, brightness etc shouldn't be affected by any upscaling to 4k.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I think you're fine with the regular blue-ray. Settings for things like hue, contrast, brightness etc shouldn't be affected by any upscaling to 4k.
I’ve used the Blu-ray one it does fine on a 4 k tv .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
There is The Incredibles DVD that has a great calibrater. I used it on all my TVs.

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
There is The Incredibles DVD that has a great calibrater. I used it on all my TVs.
I think I may have used that… or well, it was either that or some Pixar movie that had a THX calibrator or something.

C

corneileous

Junior Audioholic
I’ve used the Blu-ray one it does fine on a 4 k tv .
That’s good to hear. The DVD Blu-ray version of that disk I bought was just under 30 bucks and the ultra high def 4K version was like over 35 bucks.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I think I may have used that… or well, it was either that or some Pixar movie that had a THX calibrator or something.

*It works great. I like real life colors and black levels and its easy to use. There test patterns on youtube as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis