Best phone for streaming audio

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
my understanding from reading is that if you're going to use bluetooth from your phone to another component, then aptX HD is the best codec, and no iphone has this feature. Assuming that is true I am looking to dump my iphone for an android phone assuming most models have aptX HD. I would be connecting to an Audioengine B1 which features aptX HD so I should be good on both ends. Comments? suggestions?

Plan B would be to use something like a Port or other broadband input device to my preamp. Just not sure I would hear a difference between aptXHD and the latter approach, streaming Qobuz, 67 year old ears.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You sure you can hear between BT's aptX vs other BT versions? No wifi instead?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Rule of thumb is if you want the best SQ, you go for wired connections.

If you're planning to stream from a service and not files stored on the phone, then I'd see what streaming devices support the service you want and see how that works for you.

Chromecast is another option since it supports both iOS and Android. That could be a good/cheap solution for you.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
You sure you can hear between BT's aptX vs other BT versions? No wifi instead?
thanks, well that's a good question. I've read that aptX HD provides a near lossless stream compared to the highly compressed stream in AAC iphones. There does seem to be a consensus that wifi is better than Bluetooth for hi res and a dongle of some sort would be cheaper than a new phone, it just involves a new interface (Sonos, MusicCast etc).

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
Rule of thumb is if you want the best SQ, you go for wired connections.

If you're planning to stream from a service and not files stored on the phone, then I'd see what streaming devices support the service you want and see how that works for you.

Chromecast is another option since it supports both iOS and Android. That could be a good/cheap solution for you.
by wired connection I assume you mean an ethernet cable to my device (in this case an STR integrated amp)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
thanks, well that's a good question. I've read that aptX HD provides a near lossless stream compared to the highly compressed stream in AAC iphones. There does seem to be a consensus that wifi is better than Bluetooth for hi res and a dongle of some sort would be cheaper than a new phone, it just involves a new interface (Sonos, MusicCast etc).
I only use my android phone's bluetooth in the car, with a receiver that IIRC is the 4.0 version (and don't believe my phones have supported aptX either, altho my latest am not really sure)....but did plug the receiver into my home setup and found the sq acceptable. At home I can use my phone to direct music either from the phone or my pc's library to my various devices wirelessly (I don't have wired wifi) without issue as well, sq is as good as my wired optical players. As far as adding a receiver, I use several Chromecast Audio units on gear without wifi.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
by wired connection I assume you mean an ethernet cable to my device (in this case an STR integrated amp)?
Yes, but I'm not sure if the amp supports the streaming service. If it does, that's the best way to do it.

Or, you could get a DAC that will plug into your phone and then do digital/analog out to the amp.

The other option would be a streaming box like a Bluesound Node 2/i. That should net you the best experience since you can control it with your phone, and would be cheaper than buying a new phone as well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used an airport express for a long time. It allows integration between phone PC and AVR. Apples remote app controls iTunes in the PC. All through the WiFi. No BT...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
By wired we mean use RCA or digital audio connections from your source (phone/streaming device) to your amplifier directly. Wi-fi or wired networking can typically carry all the data you need without a problem.

Not sure I saw you answer what it was that you intended to play back, but certainly the Bluesound Node2i is one of the more popular devices built around high quality audio streaming and would be the way I would go. Even with a $550 price tag, it's still likely cheaper than getting a new phone, and gets you where you want to go with a very solid solution.

Sonos is an option and has a lot online 'used' which could be more of a bargain than something new.

Oh, and just dropping a CD into a CD player works! :D :D :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis