Best Mid level DVD Player?

R

Redbone

Audioholic
Hello, I just recently upgraded my system to entry level audiophile consisting of NAD Amps and processors, Focal/JM Labs speakers and a Hsu sub. I still have my old Yamaha DVD C920 for the digital end but am interested in updating it to something of the same caliber as the other components.

The Yami is a 5 disc which is a nice feature for music, video is pretty good as well for a $399 machine and the sound is adequate. I feel I am missing something in the music and movie end and want to upgrade. I have considered the NAD T752 but am not familiar with it and know it has only gotten mediocre reviews. I have also considered the Arcam DV79 as a frontrunner. To bad it only plays one disc.

Any suggestions as to what the best for around $800 would be much appreciated. Or at least an improvement over what I have.

amx

amx

Audiophyte
Denon DVD 2910

Pioneer Elite Dvd player lookup the model number.

Bravo 2 Dvd player

Looking into other High end SACD and DVD-audio supporting players

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I am trying to get away from the Jap sound and am interested in the more refined English sound like Rotel or Arcam. I love Denon but I don't know if it is in the same league as Arcam or Rotel. I intend to look into it though, Thanks.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Redbone, I know you like the best there is, and obviously you can't compare Rotel with Denon, but I tell you, I used to think that way also a couple of years ago and I still do when purchasing certain items, but with electronic gadgets I learned that it's not worthed to spend too much money on a piece of equipment, for a simple reason that technology moves so fast, you buy a something today, a year later is out of style or absolete.

I beleive that as long you buy a decent unit and not a real cheapo with the features you're looking for, it should be enough to satisfy you, untill another comes on the market with better features that attracts more.
That's only my opinion, I am not trying to change your mind in any way.

Mr.T

R

Redbone

Audioholic
I hear ya bro. I love Denon they invented the CD and I have had many great recievers from them and CD players. But getting a Denon would probably not be to much different from my Yami- Where as a Rotel, Regae Planet, Arcam or Cambridge Audio would probably be.

Cheers on the technology thing- I am all about that.

Last year I wondered into a high end store and discovered how much better NAD. Rotel, Arcam and others sound then my usual Sony, Denon, Pioneer etc and speakers like JM Labs, Totem, Harbeth and Quad are so much better than Boston Acoustics, CSW, JBL, I almost crapped my pants when I heard the clarity on one of these systems compared with a Best Buy system- for nearly the same price. :eek:

Example:

Before I bought my Reciever this year I listened to the Denon 3805 supposedly a revelation. I liked it, sounded good and clean. Then I heard the NAD T763 and the musicality floored me as well as the power. I think the Denon might do better H/T but I really love music.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Redbone, I had no idea of your extensive knowledge about professional Audio equipment. Obviously you don't need our help or suggestions to decide what to buy, you just need the big bucks and a large room at home to appreciate your professional sound system.

Mr.T

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

While I like Denon players, they didn't have anything to do with creating the CD. That format was created by engineers from Sony & Philips.

If you go in for pro reviews in the rags, then the new midpriced Rotel has been raved by all. If I recall, TAS called it the Budget Component of the Year, and maybe Digital Component of the Year.

I like my Denon DVD-2200 enough that I use if for most of my CD listening.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
I'm with you Rob, Rotel is 100% professional stuff, but I like Denon too!

Mr.T

A

adamd

Audioholic Intern
Check out the Cambridge Audio Azur 540 D (DVD/DVD Audio) - $349

IMHO the best DVD player under $900 anywhere.

I did all the research and sampled all the other options(denon, nad, etc.).

The Cambridge Audio Azur 540D was far superior in build and picture quality and superior in audio quality. It uses (6) 12 bit/54Mhz video DAC's

I am using it with and NAD T743 receiver and a Paradigm Monitor Series ver.3 speaker setup.

I will soon be adding a 3 channel amp to drive the fronts and center(will let the NAD handle the surrounds)

Check out the specs for the 540 D here:
http://cambridgeaudio.com/540d_dvd.html

Buy it here(these guys are the best):
www.spearitsound.com

If you are looking for the next level above the 540D check out the Rotel RDV-1060 ($900).

Just my thoughts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis