Best Internet direct speakers

Which for you?

• Total voters
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
What is the best Internet direct speaker company and Why?

I'd have to say Swanns are one of my favorites, what about you guys?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hard to choose. Internet direct has great value (axiom, AV123, Ascends) but there is no way to listen without buying and then returning.

I will go Internet direct, but a couple show rooms wouldn't hurt.

SheepStar

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Internet direct has proven to offer great value.

That value is different for different people. You have to find the sound you like, the price you like, and then decide regardless of how you purchase.

J

Jim N.

Audiophyte
I have Odyssey Audio Loreleis (internet direct) and they have trounced everything anywhere near their price range that I auditioned locally.

Buying speakers without hearing them first is a big leap of faith but worked out well for me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
Hard to choose. Internet direct has great value (axiom, AV123, Ascends) but there is no way to listen without buying and then returning.

SheepStar
You do end up paying some small amount, but that is a LOT better than what most B&M stores will do for you. Listening in a store tells me a decent amount, but not everything I need to know. An in home audition is best, so I'm not sure what the issue is? Don't buy a whole set, just get a pair and listen.

I do like to support my local small shops that carry not so common brands, but I've done very well with internet direct brands in terms of value. My 3 favorite local shops have had problems in the last few years. 2 went out of business and the other closed to the public.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
You do end up paying some small amount, but that is a LOT better than what most B&M stores will do for you. Listening in a store tells me a decent amount, but not everything I need to know. An in home audition is best, so I'm not sure what the issue is? Don't buy a whole set, just get a pair and listen.

I do like to support my local small shops that carry not so common brands, but I've done very well with internet direct brands in terms of value. My 3 favorite local shops have had problems in the last few years. 2 went out of business and the other closed to the public.
The issue is, that if you want to hear (not buy) you have to buy and return, which can add shipping costs and waste time.

Havings stores DOES have a plus side.

SheepStar

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:
The issue is, that if you want to hear (not buy) you have to buy and return, which can add shipping costs and waste time.

Havings stores DOES have a plus side.

SheepStar
How much time does it take to pack up and ship speakers?

What is the cost/time in driving to the store and listening to speakers? Is it a waste of time if you do not want to buy?

How many stores will let you bring speakers home for a listen? How much work is that?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
silversurfer said:
How much time does it take to pack up and ship speakers?

What is the cost/time in driving to the store and listening to speakers? Is it a waste of time if you do not want to buy?

How many stores will let you bring speakers home for a listen? How much work is that?
If its a sub, it costs ALOT.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Listening to a sub in a store isn't going to tell you how it will sound in your room. Other speakers you can get a fair idea of, but a sub, no.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
How can anyone buy speakers without listening to them first?????:cool:

J

johsti

Audioholic
How can anyone buy speakers without listening to them first?????
Everyone has their opinion.

How can you audition a speaker without hearing it in your own home with your own equipment? Some dealers may let you bring the speaker home to try it out, but many do not.

Most ID companies offer 30 day listening periods. If you don't like the speakers, simply ship them back. Yeah, you will lose some cash paying for shipping, but at the end of the day you can feel confident that you made the right decision. When auditioning this way, it might be a good idea to purchase one pair of speakers rather than the whole 7.0 set. Otherwise shipping could get pretty expensive.

I'm not saying ID is better than going to your local audio store. I'm just saying I wouldn't rule out either option.

M

Mike Dzurko

Audioholic Intern
There was only one way I could vote :D However, I would sure not rule out buying locally as long as your dealer is one of the good ones who will really work with you, and let you do a home trial.

What counts is that the speakers sound good in your home, in your system, with your material. And that rather than having sound that captures your attention over the other brands in the showroom, they have great, non-fatiguing sound in your system that makes you want to play them all the time.

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
Sheep said:

SheepStar
Not to mention, when the wife wants to go grocery shopping, I like to hit the audio stores and browse, I hate grocery shopping.
Actually, what I like to do, among other things, is shop online, then have an idea what I want and go to the store and pick it up.
The only thing I don't like about online shopping is you have to be home during business hours to recieve the item. Kind of hard, when you work for a living.

Colin

T

tonymontana1984

Audioholic Intern
JoeE SP9 said:
How can anyone buy speakers without listening to them first?????:cool:
I did, bought Fluance speakers and i'm glad i did

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I guess I'm a different kind of music lover/audiophile than a lot of others who frequent this site. To me buying speakers without hearing them first is like buying a mail order bride without so much as a picture to prepare you. "Kind of like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get".:cool:

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
I also did, Acsend acoustics after several hours of research on various HT forums. I am totally happy with the Ascend product!

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
I bought a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls. Ohm only sells directly from the warehouse in Brooklyn. I wasn't satisfied with anything else that I had heard in the stores (or hi-fi shows...) so with Ohm's 4-month return policy it was worth a try.

It is a little strange to plunk down money on speakers without hearing them first, but I'm glad I took the offer, because I was able to hear the speakers in my home, against my old ones (psb). Of course it was all hooked up to my gear, so there were no issues with equipment or demo room acoustics. I have never heard gear in a store and have it sound the same in my home. I kept the speakers because for a grand, nothing could touch 'em (I compared a lot)!

J

johsti

Audioholic
To me buying speakers without hearing them first is like buying a mail order bride without so much as a picture to prepare you.
Well, if the mail order bride had great reviews, and you could audition her for 30 days and only pay for the return shipping if you weren't satisfied. Sounds like a great deal if you eventually found a keeper.:D

J

JennAir

Audioholic Intern
I justify buying my Alegria Audio speakers this way.
Compared to what I heard in the audio stores I'd have to pay several hundred $$ more to get the same quality sound. Even though I did pay to send a pair back to another company I still came out way ahead of buying in a b&m store.

J

jhan1000

Audioholic Intern
Mike Dzurko said:
There was only one way I could vote :D However, I would sure not rule out buying locally as long as your dealer is one of the good ones who will really work with you, and let you do a home trial.
The problem with my experience with a lot of B&M stores that that they don't let me audition a speaker at home. I wonder if that's a common place, or just a unique experience to myself.

I for one am grateful for the Internet Direct companies. I will hopefully be auditioning your Sapphires later this year.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis