Best In Ceiling Speakers

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I've never seen speakers that allow you to adjust the baffle angle. I won't say they don't exist - I just haven't seen any. I'm curious as to which brand/models might have that feature.

Both Niles Audio and Speakercraft allow for Tweeter and Woofer adjustment

K

kelliarider1

Audiophyte
Best Ceiling Speaker

Read through this thread. Understood pretty much nothing, except got the general idea of what Kevin wrote. I went to the Speakercraft website and could not figure out what speaker I would need. Got lost after I clicked ceiling speakers.

Building a new house. Audio video people came out and pre-wired for 7.1 system. The room is about 12 ft wide by 20ft. We will be sitting about 13-14ft. from the screen.

I don't care to know that ceiling is not the best way to go, etc. Its pre-wired and I am fully on board with it. I don't even know what a sub-woofer does, what it looks like or why I need one. Don't know what baffle means, tweater or tweeter, etc. I am pretty happy with my Bose 123 on my den tv. SO, with that said. Can someone tell me the EXACT name of the Speakercraft ceiling speaker I should look at and what about Klipsch?

Thanks and much appreciated!

Kelli

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Well Kelli, how much are you willing to spend? What are the dimensions of the room, L x W x H? A subwoofer plays the lower bass frequencies that you hear from deep explosions and eerie deep organ notes.

The SpeakerCraft AIM5 Three should work nicely all around. For the sub, something like the http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm should work well if your room isn’t overly large, < 3000 cu. ft.

K

kelliarider1

Audiophyte
I would spend $200-$300 per speaker. My room in total is 12.6ft wide by 20 feet deep and 8.6ft tall ceilings. Not as high of ceilings as we wanted but nothing you can do about it now :)

I will check out those speakers. Thanks for the link on the sub. Next on my list is receivers, projectors and screens. So much to do and do little knowledge :)
Thanks!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Read through this thread. Understood pretty much nothing, except got the general idea of what Kevin wrote. I went to the Speakercraft website and could not figure out what speaker I would need. Got lost after I clicked ceiling speakers.

Building a new house. Audio video people came out and pre-wired for 7.1 system. The room is about 12 ft wide by 20ft. We will be sitting about 13-14ft. from the screen.

I don't care to know that ceiling is not the best way to go, etc. Its pre-wired and I am fully on board with it. I don't even know what a sub-woofer does, what it looks like or why I need one. Don't know what baffle means, tweater or tweeter, etc. I am pretty happy with my Bose 123 on my den tv. SO, with that said. Can someone tell me the EXACT name of the Speakercraft ceiling speaker I should look at and what about Klipsch?

Thanks and much appreciated!

Kelli
I know you are on board with it, but I'm genuinely curious as to why someone would choose to use ceiling speakers for a home theater experience. I would have thought that common sense would tell you that watching a screen and having the sound come from on high would be very irritating. I'm really curios as to your decision making process, given the fact that humans localize sound sources pretty accurately.

K

kelliarider1

Audiophyte
Ha. Well, until I read some of the threads in this forum, I had no idea people did anything else. Many of the posts here slammed the original poster for doing ceiling speakers so I just didn't want the same comments. It is what it is at this point. We have talked to 2-3 different audio video people and they have all said the same thing. 7.1 surround - in ceiling speakers. I just thought that is what you did for a media room. Do people just have speakers on the floor?

What exactly do I need to have in a media room? Speakers, subwoofer, projector, screen, blu ray disc and receiver? Looking to only spend about $6,000 for it all. Got a quote from BB for $15,000!! My head hurts just reading through the "proposal" from them.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ha. Well, until I read some of the threads in this forum, I had no idea people did anything else. Many of the posts here slammed the original poster for doing ceiling speakers so I just didn't want the same comments. It is what it is at this point. We have talked to 2-3 different audio video people and they have all said the same thing. 7.1 surround - in ceiling speakers. I just thought that is what you did for a media room. Do people just have speakers on the floor?

What exactly do I need to have in a media room? Speakers, subwoofer, projector, screen, blu ray disc and receiver? Looking to only spend about $6,000 for it all. Got a quote from BB for $15,000!! My head hurts just reading through the "proposal" from them.
For that much money you should be able to put together a good starter system.

Take a look at the members gallery thread.

Many members including myself have links to our pictures in our signature at the bottom.

There are many members here who know the starter market much better than I do, and will be very willing to help you.

I would say very few members here are getting their AV experience via ceiling speakers, with the exception of the surround channels, and I think even they are in the minority.

Your other options, are free standing speakers which I think are the most common here. However there are very good in wall solutions, which will put the sound in the right perspective so to speak.

I would encourage you to take a few deep breaths before spending money on equipment if you have not really thought this through. In this arena people so often spend money soon to be dissatisfied with the choice the made. It can be a lot of money down the drain.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I have only read the last page but IIRC forum member mazersteven runs speakercraft in-ceiling speakers all around with dual SVS Ultra subwoofers powered by a high end Denon AVR. You might want to PM him and he can provide you with plenty first hand experience (pros/cons) of the "in-ceiling" experience.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Here’s a nice li’l setup in a room smaller than yours that uses in-walls for surrounds: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179128

Kelli, you may want to start a new thread for your specific project. That way it won’t get lost in the shuffle. The sub I mentioned will work nicely for that room. You can put together a nice little HT setup for $6K.

PJ/Screen (120” dia.) - <$3,000
SVS Model SCS-01M Front Three Speaker Set - ~$600
SVS PB12-NSD - <$700
Niles Audio CM710FX - http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/niles/niles-cm710fx.html - $230
Niles Audio CM630 - http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/niles/niles-cm630.html - $205
Denon 2310 - <$800
Oppo 83 - $500

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
If possible, I strongly recommend you patch up the ceiling or put in a new sheet of drywall. I know someone with in ceilings for all 5 speakers. It sounds absolutely terrible. I cannot stress enough how bad of a setup it is for a HT. Try to put in-walls for the L/C/R. Leave them in the ceiling for the surrounds if necessary. If in-walls are not possible, I saw a HT with in-ceiling speakers that came down on an angle when turned on, pointing towards the listener. They were rectangular, not circular. I'd look into something like this. Sorry, but I don't know who makes them.

I have Sonance in-walls and Speakercraft in-ceilings. Both sound quite good, especially the Sonance.

C

canyontrip

Audiophyte
If possible, I strongly recommend you patch up the ceiling or put in a new sheet of drywall. I know someone with in ceilings for all 5 speakers. It sounds absolutely terrible. I cannot stress enough how bad of a setup it is for a HT. Try to put in-walls for the L/C/R. Leave them in the ceiling for the surrounds if necessary. If in-walls are not possible, I saw a HT with in-ceiling speakers that came down on an angle when turned on, pointing towards the listener. They were rectangular, not circular. I'd look into something like this. Sorry, but I don't know who makes them.

I have Sonance in-walls and Speakercraft in-ceilings. Both sound quite good, especially the Sonance.
What Sonance in-walls do you have? I went to the sonance web site and got confused with so many options. The cheaper ones seem to be S622T ($300/pair) and C210 ($100/pair) on amazon.
All others seem to be north of $300/ea!

Thanks.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
What Sonance in-walls do you have? I went to the sonance web site and got confused with so many options. The cheaper ones seem to be S622T ($300/pair) and C210 ($100/pair) on amazon.

Thanks.
I'm not sure. They are over 10 years old but I'll have a look when I get home to see if I still have the brochure.

T

Tom Cecc

Audioholic Intern

Is this what you are talking about, though they are only dipole surrounds:

http://www.kef.com/us/Custom/Wall/CiFDT

I agree with not having in-ceiling for L/C/R. I am stuck with in-ceilings because of my setup but they are only for surrounds and rears. I can't imagine them being all that great for fronts, unless, as you suggested, mounted in-wall, but even that limits a lot.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Is this what you are talking about, though they are only dipole surrounds:

http://www.kef.com/us/Custom/Wall/CiFDT

I agree with not having in-ceiling for L/C/R. I am stuck with in-ceilings because of my setup but they are only for surrounds and rears. I can't imagine them being all that great for fronts, unless, as you suggested, mounted in-wall, but even that limits a lot.
Yeah, something like that, but they were for the L/C/R and were not dipole.

Thanks.
Found the brochure. They are model S3000. I don't know what would be the equivalent speaker that they make now. These have a 6.5" woofer. It looks like a lot of their speakers now have an 8" woofer. Even better!

T

Tom Cecc

Audioholic Intern
How come you didn't go with Sonance or Speakercraft for all? I am looking at one of the Sonance Ciinema Series speaker models to replace my in-ceiling surrounds and rears. It looks nicely built and full range with an 8" woofer, 2 3" mids and a 3/4" tweeter.

- Tom

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
How come you didn't go with Sonance or Speakercraft for all? I am looking at one of the Sonance Ciinema Series speaker models to replace my in-ceiling surrounds and rears. It looks nicely built and full range with an 8" woofer, 2 3" mids and a 3/4" tweeter.

- Tom
They are in different rooms. The in-ceilings were Sonance I believe, but I recently switched them to bigger speakers and the store I often go to had Speakercraft so I went with those.

I think you'll be happy with Sonance.

K

kelliarider1

Audiophyte
After looking through the recommended items and googling what they were, it appears you think I need front speakers in addition to my ceiling speakers?

I may make a new post for starter systems too.

Thanks for the input!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis