Best HTIB for around $500. I know they are usually junk. Please HELP!

J

joedog

Audiophyte
I know this thread has probably been on here before but I wanted to updated advise.

I am really trying to stay on a budget here since I have a decent setup in my main family room and just spent a bunch of money finishing my basement. This is for my basement and room is about 15x18. So I need to know the very best Home Theater in a Box for around $500 and I know they are usually junk and not worth it but there has to be one or two that are not that bad. I dont understand all of the terminology but I do want a receiver preferrably without a built in DVD player. I really want a Blue Ray player so a system without a DVD or blue ray is fine and I will just add a Blue ray seperately later.

Am I correct in saying that Onkyo seems to have some of the better HTIB. I also dont want to be limited with stuff like the HDMI pass through, does this really matter? Like I said I am new to all of this.

I have considered putting together seperate components but it keeps becoming too expensive, even if I try to get a refurbished receiver. But you have any good ideas for this approach please let me know.

I hate to spend $500 on something that is not worth it but I dont know what else to do.

I really need some guidance here, please help. Any suggestions are appreciated.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I think most people think that Onkyo HTIBs are about as "good" as they get. This site just did a review on the Onkyo HT-S5200 that was pretty favorable (it runs a little less than $500 on Amazon).

HDMI pass-though isn't a big deal as long as you're willing to cough up just a few more dollars (not many) for a Toslink cable to carry your audio in tandem with the HDMI.

I think most here will suggest that you start with a cheap receiver and two decent speakers first, upgrading to a sub and then surrounds at a later date. However, if you've already got another set-up in the house and want this system just for home theater, it's probably a moot point.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I would certainly get a pair of towers and a receiver first. Then build it into a 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your room size and budget. Again thats assuming that you will have a budget down the road for this.

ChrisFox

ChrisFox

Audioholic Intern
If you're going with one, get one with a decent receiver. One with plenty of inputs/outputs. Then save up and get yourself a decent set of speakers to replace the ones that came with the kit. Don't upgrade speakers 5 or 6 times down the line, ends up being cheaper to save up and buy speakers that will last you 20 years. Good speakers will always sound good.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In your about 2160sqf space I doubt any HTIB will do good job of filling it properly.
For now get refub Onkyo avr from accessories4less, pair of Behringer 2030P bookshelfs and a Dayton 120 Sub from parts-express.
Total budget:
Behringer 2030p - $130
Dayton 120 - $120
Onkyo tx-sr507 - $250

Options for later update:
2 more pairs of behringers = $260 to complete 5.1
Next: Behringer BFD Pro DSP1124P + 2nd Dayton Sub-120 - 100+120

However Look for AH reviews, some Onkyo sets were OK (mostly for good included receiver)

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
what about checking audiogon.com for something used? or what is that other website accessoresforless? they seem to have good deals on refurb stuff

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis