Best HT Sub under 300$

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Im looking for a new or used preferably sub, any size as long as it does a good job on movies. thats all it will be used for, already have a music sub.
powered or not doesnt matter i can power it will my amp.

have you guys ever heard the alpha series subs? the subzero? i saw one of those for under 300

what do you think

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I have the best under 300 sub for sale if you live in the LA area. :D

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I wouldnt call that a subwoofer. More like added bass. Its not going to do much with an LFE.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
You may want to consider this Hsu:

http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html

A lot of people will tell you that an 8" isn't going to push a lot of air and probably won't play that loud, blah blah blah. However, your budget is what it is and if money is a bigger factor than SPL, watts, driver size, etc, then you have to work with what you've got. And if you've only got $300, you'd be hard pressed to beat what Hsu is offering. They're heralded all over these forums and the price point is right in your sweet spot.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
If i only had 300 bucks and wanted a real sub,i'd wait until i had 5-600 bucks.

B

bjornb17

Audiophyte
I got my Velodyne CHT-12 for $260, brand new on clearance at circuit city. Look around and you can find some sweet deals :)

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Thats not bad for music i guess,but what in movies,you not getting anything from 35 down. I wish you lived by me,i'd sell you my Klipsch,300 watts,112db max output and plays 30Hz real loud and down to 25 ok.

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
ship

would you not consider shipping it... klipsch stuff is usually pretty small, high efficiency... which model is it... the 8?

Gaius Caligula

Gaius Caligula

Audioholic Intern
My personal favorite in this price range is the Yamaha YST-SW315, which you can find online for about $200!

Yamaha YST-SW315
10" Digital Pro Series Subwoofer
MSRP $299.00

-QD-Bass (Quatre Dispersion Bass) Technology
-Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology
-A/V ready, magnetically shielded for video use
-Power Built-in 250 Watt high power amplifier
-10" down-firing driver
-Frequency Response: 20Hz-160Hz (-10db)
-Dimensions (W x H X D): 13-3/8" x 17" x 14-9/16"
-Weight: 37.4 lbs.
-Auto power on/off
-Line level and speaker level connections
-40Hz to 140Hz continuously variable high-cut filter
-High cut slope:-24dB/octave
-Volume control
-Phase normal/reverse switch
-BASS selector switch

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Malakei said:
would you not consider shipping it... klipsch stuff is usually pretty small, high efficiency... which model is it... the 8?
Klipsch KSW300 78 pounds 19X19X19 cube.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Gaius Caligula said:
My personal favorite in this price range is the Yamaha YST-SW315, which you can find online for about $200!

Yamaha YST-SW315
10" Digital Pro Series Subwoofer
MSRP $299.00

-QD-Bass (Quatre Dispersion Bass) Technology
-Advanced Yamaha Active Servo Technology
-A/V ready, magnetically shielded for video use
-Power Built-in 250 Watt high power amplifier
-10" down-firing driver
-Frequency Response: 20Hz-160Hz (+/- 3db)
-Dimensions (W x H X D): 13-3/8" x 17" x 14-9/16"
-Weight: 37.4 lbs.
-Auto power on/off
-Line level and speaker level connections
-40Hz to 140Hz continuously variable high-cut filter
-High cut slope:-24dB/octave
-Volume control
-Phase normal/reverse switch
-BASS selector switch
Its not the 20Hz i'm worried about but can you use it? My guess is maybe 75-80db at 20Hz, maybe. Much better for music,not enough for LFE.

Gaius Caligula

Gaius Caligula

Audioholic Intern
shokhead said:
Its not the 20Hz i'm worried about but can you use it? My guess is maybe 75-80db at 20Hz, maybe. Much better for music,not enough for LFE.
I believe so, it's fairly efficient for this price range, with power consumption at only 80 watts. Take a look at the manual, which provides much more detail than the above synopsis: Yamaha YST-SW315.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Ok,not bad for 300 bucks. You'll still not get the real low loud stuff but you'll get enough as long as your not in to big of a room and its not wide open. Go for it but yoy might check a few classifieds and e-bay and see whats out there for 300 bucks.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
shokhead said:
If i only had 300 bucks and wanted a real sub,i'd wait until i had 5-600 bucks.
You are not being really helpful. He wants a sub for $300.

Now for the original poster, here is some real info about how good the STF1 is.

Dr. Hsu is a fan of subwoofers that fit a specific room, like the STF-1. At the CES show, our STF-1 was located at the back of a small room, in a corner. It filled that room so well that half a dozen people thought our dual TN towers were filling the room with bass! People were really amazed. I'm talking about people with mouths open saying "all that from an 8 inch subwoofer!". I think the STF-1 will do quite well in many people's rooms.
I hope this helps.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Right. Thats way i said to wait and get a real sub. You see to me a sub isnt to have more bass even if thats a nice bonus,its to plat LFE,the low and loud stuff at 20-25Hz.You know at 100-105db. Find me a new $300 sub that will do that.

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
shokhead said:
Right. Thats way i said to wait and get a real sub. You see to me a sub isnt to have more bass even if thats a nice bonus,its to plat LFE,the low and loud stuff at 20-25Hz.You know at 100-105db. Find me a new $300 sub that will do that.
But why force what you are looking for in a sub on him?

It is crazy! The stf 1 is one hell of a sub, weather you like it or not.

btw, if you like 105db at 20Hz why did you buy a Kliosch sub that you can't get rid of?

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. This is a forum. If you read all the posts i said it seem ok for the money. I got the Klipsch 5-6 years ago. A $1000 sub for $499 was hard to pass up,would'nt you say? Belive be,you wont know the Yamaha is around if you want to compare the two side by side. The Klipsch isnt the greatest but its not bad.. I'm selling because it is abit big, 19"X19"X19" and i'm getting an SVS cylinder to tuck right back into the corner. Buy a sub to add bass to music is great. Add a sub for movies and its suppose to be low and loud. If a less expensive,smaller sub says it goes down to 25Hz,it most likly does but at 35 or so it starts to get a lot less volume,quickly. Heck mine says 25-120Hz and max output of 112db but at 25Hz,its around 90db,see what i'm saying.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
I'm also looking for a sub for movies/music, and I am seriously considering the STF-1. However, in Canada, they go for around 399.50. I have the opportunity to purchase a Paradigm PDR10 for 300.00. (not sure how old it is). How well would this stack up against the HSU?

Which would fill my room (14x17x8) the most for music (30%) and movies (70%)? I currently own a pair of Paradigm Titans as front L/R, and a Paradigm CC-150 as center. I'm also borrowing Bose 201's for surrounds and Polk Audio R30's for rear surrounds. All being run by a Yamaha HTR5760.

If it makes any difference, i eventually plan to have Mini Monitors/Monitor 5's as fronts, and 4 x Titans as surrounds.

Cheers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis