Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
Hi,

I've done the headphone thing. Reality is, after the $300~500 price mark, it's mostly novelty and veblen level purchasing for the idea of "summit-fi" rather than actual results that you can audibly appreciate. To even begin to appreciate flagship headphones, the source media has to be extremely high quality recordings. Not just high resolution, high sampling, big file size, lossless container, etc. The actual recording itself, the process it was recorded, where, how, etc. There' a few data bases out there to guide you on media to the better recorded albums. But this is the direction you have to go to truly even get anything out of a summit-fi level setup and even then, you'd be hard pressed to differentiate a $1k setup from a $4k setup with the same very high quality recording as a media playback to compare. At that point it's literally just personal preference. Just like in speakers. After $2~4k it just gets stupid expensive and there's no true quality gain, just other features you may care to spend on, but not an audible difference that is a true quality gain that you can appreciate.

I've done 40+ pairs, all the $300+ ones from the majors and all the $1k+ planars back when they really got popular. Now, everyone offers a "high end" headphone and a planar version or something. The market is flooded. I compared a bunch, did the A+B thing, changed sources, etc. And at the end of the day, the best most expensive headphones are not always the most pleasing to listen to. Just like speakers, some things may just sound better to you personally, and there's combinations for sure, such as matching an amplifier and headphone and enjoying the result, not just buying the best of the best and spending as much as you can just to end up realizing a $300 headphone on a $200 source setup sounds better to you than a $4k setup does, despite knowing the $4k setup costs more and should be better, but isn't necessarily.

Sometimes you have to just spend a bunch, get the top level stuff and then get that out of your system and feel fine knowing you've had the expensive stuff and you can finally let go of the placebo of it and just actually listen to the audio and appreciate things. This is when you'll find out that price does NOT reflect enjoyment when it comes to liking what you hear. You can spend a lot and get a neutral, sterile result that you just don't actually like to listen to your favorite music on. You can certainly get quality stuff and enjoy it. But like many things, there's too much psych-stuff involved, placebo and magical-voodoo-boolsheet that will cloud your mind and spray paint your ears with glossy gold paint. So my suggestion: buy a flagship mode, flagship amp and dac setup, go in a quiet room, use the highest quality recordings you can and evaluate it for a week and then return it (obviously buy from somewhere that allows returns). Get this out of your system so you can say you've had the $4k+ setup on your head and you don't have any higher order dream to look for. Then just enjoy listening. If you just get to a level of quality that is going to resolve 100% of the best recordings and stop there, this happens easily in that $500~$1k range with lots of room to spare, and just try a few and find something that you truly just like the sound of, it's natural frequency response, etc. Pro-tip: it probably will not be a truly neutral headphone! But find something you enjoy and then just STOP looking for more. Just listen! Enjoy what you have and spend a few years listening to it.

View attachment 47803

So at the end of my 10+ year journey on high end headphone hi-fi, I actually ended up letting go of my most expensive setups and my favorite, all time favorite setup that was pleasing to me (the fit, the weight, the comfort, the overall sound signature, the natural frequency response, the resolution, sound stage presentation and how it paired with various sources) was actually a basic Hifiman HE-500 (the more efficient step from the previous HE-6 by Dr Fang) which I had professionally recabled with speaker taps and run it directly from a 50 watt speaker amplifier. I'm still listening to this setup to this day. 8+ years later. I have a massive thread on Head-Fi that is 240+ pages and many years old, we were all trying these inefficient planars on speaker amps. It got so popular that Emotiva re-released their A-100 amplifier to have a headphone jack with a jumper to allow it to output the full 50 watts of the amplifier for planars. But they key to my story is that.... just get a good setup that is reasonable that you just enjoy for how it feels and sounds, not something that you only like because it cost $2k~$4k. You'll get over that real fast when you spend $4k and realize a $1k setup sounded better to you. The result? You feel really wealthy knowing you could totally afford the better stuff, but your experience tells you that you enjoy something else and it's not about money it's about the enjoyment you get from what sounds good to you personally.

So my final setup, for over 8+ years now:

Hifiman HE-500 (professionally recabled by Brian at BTG Audio, speaker table cable, re-terminated posts on the headphone cups to be mini-XLR and balanced with a matching removeable cable that can be run balanced or unbalanced depending on which termination I connect to it with custom XLR 4 pin connectors with different terminations)

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2+ tube DAC using the tube pre-amp output to an older Emotiva Mini-X A-100 speaker amp, running the headphone directly from the speaker amp's posts. It soaks up a lot of energy and sounds better, to me, than any other hifi setup I've bothered trying including all those big expensive Audeze stuff and all the higher end Schiit amps and stuff. I sold it all and kept my weird little Hifiman, Tube DAC and Emotiva speaker amp and it's been awesome and I still enjoy it. I don't even shop for headphone stuff anymore, for years!

Find what you enjoy and just stick with it and enjoy new music rather than chasing some gear.

Very best,
Your logic did not work for me LOL. I have the Beyerdynamic 1990's and I heard about the Focal Clear's and then the Clear MG's so I said what the heck, I will try them to get it out of my system. Some had said they are not necessarily better but different. Though the Clear MG's have less top end sparkle that the 1990's have, the bass, mids, and highs are very balanced with the Clear MG's and after testing on many different types of music on 2 headphone amps, I concluded the Clear MG's are worthy to keep. So now I am paying $250 a month at Sweetwater to pay off these headphones. Granted on some older recordings that don't have a bright top end, I prefer the 1990's, but generally l like the Clear MG's better. The only thing I wish it had was a little bigger sound stage but all in all they are clearly better than the 1990's and Sennheiser 660S.

Last edited:
ScareDe2

ScareDe2

Audioholic Intern
Former top of the line and discontinued Sennheiser HD250 Linear 1 is the headphone that got me out of this game. I don't buy headphones anymore.

On the more expensive side, I owned the AKG K812 and the Audeze LCD2.2. I auditioned the Focal Utopia.

The Sennheiser HD250 Linear 1 is a lightweight closed back headphone that measures close to the Harman target preferred response (neutrality with good bass) and is a multiple purpose HP, from laid back listening to studio mixing. Easy to mod. Although earcups are made of plastics, it is very resistant and the headband is very flexible. This headphone doesn't break. Its survival rate is terrific. No need for a warranty with these. I think adjusted for inflation it would cost about $500 today. They stopped the production in the 90's but you have some for sale on ebay.de all the time. I often check to see if I can score a second pair for cheap in case mine go bad. I like these headphones as much as I like my pair of Yamaha NS10 horizontal studio monitors and I use them everyday.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Thanks, your post revived this thread a bit and on Easter Sunday no less.
Have never really had a good pair of headphones but am now beginning to explore these waters.
Then I recently came across this and was wondering if anyone has any experience with pairing with headphones. DJs out there?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks, your post revived this thread a bit and on Easter Sunday no less.
Have never really had a good pair of headphones but am now beginning to explore these waters.
Then I recently came across this and was wondering if anyone has any experience with pairing with headphones. DJs out there?

By a quick look I would say it is an april fools, but apparently it is a "real" deal.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
By a quick look I would say it is an april fools, but apparently it is a "real" deal.
Wtf is it? A wearable headphone amp/receiver? A wearable subwoofer?

I shall Google more after this post but there wasn't much in the way of describing what it does on that page...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A wearable subwoofer?
Well holy sheepshit... that's what it is!

"SUBPAC is a high-fidelity tactile bass system that quietly and accurately transfers low frequencies to your body. With SUBPAC you are fully immersed in the physical dimension of sound, a powerful and natural extension of the traditional audio experience.

The SUBPAC X1 is the successor to the SUBPAC S2 and M2, it is a single unit that can be used as BOTH a seatback AND a wearable."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If that thing actually works as advertised it definitely has my curiosity piqued, but I'm not gonna drop 5 hunnert bucks to satisfy it. Could be an interesting experience tho...

*PS, not to mention walking around looking like you're geared up for a Mass Effect cosplay party... lol

ScareDe2

ScareDe2

Audioholic Intern
I recall seeing that on the unbox therapy channel many years ago. I found it back :

His enthousiasm did not get me to try or buy one though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis