Best Floorstanding? Ascend Towers vs CANTON vs KEF, etc?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wait just a minute here. I thought I was the Defense? :eek: :D

I'm sure we all recommend to others what have worked best for us personally.

I think the point that ShadyJ and I were making was that although there are many options, placing the bookshelf speakers atop the subwoofers (if you have 2 subwoofers) is one option that most people have not considered.

If you don't have room for subs in the front, then, of course, placing them elsewhere is also an option.

It's definitely nice to have a door in your HT room that you can lock up when you want. :D
Have to say. Definitely jealous of the door on your HT.(and what's behind that door) some day I'll be able to say I can shut the door on mine. Till then...

Adjourned!

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
So, bringing it back home and back to my original question ... if 70% of use is for movies/TV maybe I am better off with R55Ti TOWER SPEAKERS with R56Ci CENTER CHANNEL instead of purchasing Ascend Sierra Towers and Ascend Horizon? It's $1,000 vs $3,000 investment.

Unless you tell me that Ascend set up will be very, very noticeably different in sound .... and keep in mind, I don't need the "Improved" base if Sierra Towers have it as I have a pretty good Sub that will handle anything below the crossover point.

https://rbhsound.com/r55ti.php
https://rbhsound.com/r56ci.php

vs

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/horizon/horizon.html

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, bringing it back home and back to my original question ... if 70% of use is for movies/TV maybe I am better off with R55Ti TOWER SPEAKERS with R56Ci CENTER CHANNEL instead of purchasing Ascend Sierra Towers and Ascend Horizon? It's $1,000 vs $3,000 investment.

Unless you tell me that Ascend set up will be very, very noticeably different in sound .... and keep in mind, I don't need the "Improved" base if Sierra Towers have it as I have a pretty good Sub that will handle anything below the crossover point.
I don't think you will get "very noticeably different in sound".

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that opinion based on comparing the stats of each speaker or actually hearing both? Just curious
Stats, listening to the RBH, owning other RBH and Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Phil3, and other speakers.

So drawing conclusion on what I've heard and own.

After you have listened to many speakers and have owned many speakers in your house, you get the idea.

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
CHANE SPEAKERS, has done more in a short time with speaker technology and build quality than most marketers in here could ever dream of. Post a photo of speakers..umm maybe I will jump on the wagoner's bandwagon and post up my New (CHANE L7's )Tower Speakers when they come in with my SVS entry level sub.
How do you like your Chane l7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was contemplating between the Ascend Tower and the NHT C4.
You sent me down a NHT rabbit hole yesterday with another post, lol. The C series does look pretty nice, but I think I'd stick with Ascend. You looking at the NrT tower I'm assuming? The Sierra towers with RAALs would definitely win out if they're in the budget.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
You sent me down a NHT rabbit hole yesterday with another post, lol. The C series does look pretty nice, but I think I'd stick with Ascend. You looking at the NrT tower I'm assuming? The Sierra towers with RAALs would definitely win out if they're in the budget.
Audioholics reviewed the Classic Three which was basically the same speaker. I'm still holding off right now as to which to get. The Sierra or C3. I wish I could hear them both.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
First best wishes with the move.
As for the speakers All three are very nice picks it would be a tough decision for me to choose between the three. Maybe one of the ole timers will jump in cause especially speakers that's the one aspect in this hobby that I lack a bunch of knowledge in. Meaning high-end speakers or entry level audiophile speakers. I have had many different speaker brands on my journey with this Hobby. Over 40 years with this hobby and I am still learning. If I ever decide to take the plunge and spend some money on some nice high-end speakers Legacys are at the top of my list. Just saying but I have research the three brands your talking about again all three are good choices. Best of luck and happy hunting!

Mike
Hard to go wrong with any of those , if I had the$$$ for higher end gear I’d get it ASAP . Why wait ??
Good luck finding endgame gear ⚙!! Tell us what you pick .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. 5.25 isn't very big, and even though they claim 30hz(iirc), I'd never run them that low. Funny you mentioned towers with 12's. I have towers with 12's and I've tried them crossed all over, and in my room, and with my subs the best implementation has been 100hz. Any higher didn't show any advantage, and I like to let my mains cover as much as they can. IME the presentation is just better. I have plenty of power, and my mains don't mind so... Oh. All measurements with umik-1 and REW.
I'd really like to know the total airspace for the op. Maybe just another sub would satisfy, but I'm a believer in towers and he has budget so...
It would seem Pretty expensive for a small driver but if the bass is good enough to mix well with a sub can’t be that bad . Is it for form factor why don’t they make a bigger version ?

Takes a lot to skill to Make and design them so price is cheap for them being high end ..
not many brands make anything over 8” woofers these days , but I wish more did and 10” better for dynamics. But how many times better are these 2-3k towers vs say something $500 or $1000” each ?
must be worth it to get such high praise ,what’s the raaal sound similar to other tweets like Martin Logan’s motion series ? Ml is only brand I’ve heard in person w/ motion tweeters similar but very different sounding ..
Kef also seems unique, and canton .. definitely expensive to try them out without free returns.
good luck tell us what you decide on , if it’s worth you upgrading or-not.
I can’t say much other then they all look spectacular sounding..
Too many good brands ..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis