Best Device for Internet Radio over WiFi

O

Odyssey

Audiophyte
What is the best low-cost device for listening to Internet Radio (XP Home on computer) through my home stereo over WiFi? (Can't afford the Sonos.)

Please distinguish between recording to mp3, then listening, which I am not interested in, and real time internet radio webcasts, which I am.

TIA.

P.S. Want to be able to hear Real Audio among the other usual suspects.

O

Odyssey

Audiophyte
SqueezeBox-will it play Real Audio Internet Radio streams?

Does anyone know? Not mentioned on their site, but not entirely sure that this is an appropriate question, i.e., will any of them play all of the different streams?

Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know for sure if Squeezebox will play real audio streams out of the box, but the server side software is configurable with plug-ins. If anyone has written a plug-in for streaming real audio then you could add that functionality to the server. The squeezebox site does list various plug-ins that are available. You'll have to do a bit of searching or ask on their forums to find out if what you need is available.

drunkmunk

drunkmunk

Junior Audioholic
A modded xbox running the latest XBMC (Xbox Media Center) will stream shoutcast radio. It also has the ability to stream most audio formats (mp3, wma. aac. flac...) as well as video formats (divx, xvid, real and quicktime) from your PC by simply sharing the folder on your network. pretty good multimedia system once you hook up the hd kit for component and fiber out. Here's a link to the manual that shows what streams and files it supports.

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.php?wakka=Index

E

Eric Apple

Junior Audioholic
Roku

Roku soundbridge:

www.rokulabs.com

The cheapest thing to do would be to use your PC and a free program such as iTunes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis