N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Oh lord, I maybe shouldn't have digressed. Got more people into the thread though, haha!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno if it was Dennis' plan, or Jim's, but at some point they replaced the standard binding posts between the Top- and Bass- Cabinets of the Phil 3s with a Speakon connector. Flippin brilliant if you ask me. This was my first exposure to them in real world usage. Gotta say I like them alot.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Dunno if it was Dennis' plan, or Jim's, but at some point they replaced the standard binding posts between the Top- and Bass- Cabinets of the Phil 3s with a Speakon connector. Flippin brilliant if you ask me. This was my first exposure to them in real world usage. Gotta say I like them alot.
Is it how securely they fasten, the look? I'm waiting on my duratex, so I have time to switch things up if I want.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Since I'm waiting on the duratex I'm going to go ahead and grab the speakon connectors. My question is this: 2 of my subs will be in the back of the room; given the distance from the AVR I'm wondering if 12 guage will be sufficient on a 50ft cable, or if I should place the amp itself in the rear of the room and run the rca cable from the AVR to the amp so I can use shorter cables in consideration of the impedence of the cable.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Since I'm waiting on the duratex I'm going to go ahead and grab the speakon connectors. My question is this: 2 of my subs will be in the back of the room; given the distance from the AVR I'm wondering if 12 guage will be sufficient on a 50ft cable, or if I should place the amp itself in the rear of the room and run the rca cable from the AVR to the amp so I can use shorter cables in consideration of the impedence of the cable.
You're not using so much power that you need to place the amp extremely close to the speakers, although it does fall under 'best practice' in certain applications. The pro world does this, but they always use low impedance, balanced audio feeds and not unbalanced, high impedance. Unbalanced, high impedance runs are far more likely to pick up some hind of noise and lose signal strength.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis