N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I see that a lot of people use a speakon connection. I ordered some of the normal five-way binding posts. I'm hoping to understand why so many people use the speak on connection instead.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Easy disconnect/reconnect.

No possibility for crossing wires.

Very sturdy, you can’t pull out the cable unless you pull out the jack too.

Has 4 connectors vs 2.

Cheap!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I see that a lot of people use a speakon connection. I ordered some of the normal five-way binding posts. I'm hoping to understand why so many people use the speak on connection instead.
Some may use them because they bought a pro amp.

highfigh

highfigh

Easy disconnect/reconnect.

No possibility for crossing wires.

Very sturdy, you can’t pull out the cable unless you pull out the jack too.

Has 4 connectors vs 2.

Cheap!
Wires can be crossed if the terminations are done poorly and they are available with two, four or eight connections. Also, they're rated for up to 30A of current.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Wires can be crossed if the terminations are done poorly and they are available with two, four or eight connections. Also, they're rated for up to 30A of current.
Well yeah, obviously, but if they are setup normally, they’re gonna stay that way. Unlike binding posts where if you disconnect and/or touch them wrong you send the amp into protect mode ;)

Never heard of an 8 connector speakon!

highfigh

highfigh

Even for speakers. They're great, for the reasons listed above plus they're a cleaner look than two binding posts sticking out :)
My binding posts are satin nickel- I think they look pretty good.

highfigh

highfigh

Well yeah, obviously, but if they are setup normally, they’re gonna stay that way. Unlike binding posts where if you disconnect and/or touch them wrong you send the amp into protect mode ;)

Never heard of an 8 connector speakon!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector

Speakon wasn't designed for consumer applications.

The original spacing for dual banana plugs took that into account, but people decided to use the single ones, so the problems can occur. It's unfortunate that the terminal cup manufacturers decided to follow the single plug model, rather than staying with reliable/dependable.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
My binding posts are satin nickel- I think they look pretty good.
I got the satin nickel as well. I'm not at home, but I'm looking at a pic of the back of the Crown 2502 I got and can't figure 2 things: 1) how to possible bridge the speakons; or, 2) if the normal binding posts will accept banana plugs

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Speakon wasn't designed for consumer applications.
True, they were designed for the more demanding pro on-site applications. But that doesn't mean that the can't be used in modern hi-fi systems.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I got the satin nickel as well. I'm not at home, but I'm looking at a pic of the back of the Crown 2502 I got and can't figure 2 things: 1) how to possible bridge the speakons; or, 2) if the normal binding posts will accept banana plugs
Just in how you wire the speakon connector, and yes the binding posts on the amp accept banana plugs too.

highfigh

highfigh

You can bridge with Speakon- Pg 6 of the manual (that NOBODY READS!). Yes, the binding posts can accept banana plugs- the plastic in the center will need to be removed. Pg 7 mentions banana plugs.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
O
You can bridge with Speakon- Pg 6 of the manual (that NOBODY READS!). Yes, the binding posts can accept banana plugs- the plastic in the center will need to be removed. Pg 7 mentions banana plugs.
Oh dang, all caps? You didn't write that manual did you? It wasn't your life's work, right?:D

highfigh

highfigh

O

Oh dang, all caps? You didn't write that manual did you? It wasn't your life's work, right?:D
No, but someone wrote it to help people connect their stuff without going online and asking questions so someone else could take the time to find out for them. It takes less time to find the manual online than to post a question here.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No, but someone wrote it to help people connect their stuff without going online and asking questions so someone else could take the time to find out for them. It takes less time to find the manual online than to post a question here.
Yeah, but if I read the manual I lose my man-card :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis