best compnent rack for under 200$

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
Hi i am looking for advice for the best audio rack for under 200$

I will be getting the oppo dvd player

the outlaw 990 pre/pro (28 lbs)

and 5 m2200's (18 lbs each)

I will need to put all of this and probly more on this rack so it needs to be able to hold a few pounds.

D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
i have looked at both of those places, and so far i am thinking the rack from circuit city is the best deal at 150$

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Buy the Gusdorf

Buy the Gusdorf.

I own it, and the matching TV stand.

The TV stand is holding my Sony 34" widescreen 190 pound monster of a TV and Polk LSI Center Speaker with no wobbling or worries...... Which pretty much says the TV stand can hold anything.

I have my Denon AVR 3805, Nakamichi Cassette Player (which weighs more than the 3805) and a CD and DVD player on the audio rack. No wobbles or worries.

The Circuit City ad doesn't mention it, but the shelves are height adjustable.

It took me, a brain dead, two left hands and no thumbs, number-cruncher less than 30 minutes per unit for assembly.

The uprights are real wood that has been stained, not plastic veneer covering particle board. This means when scratched, Old English or similar product can be used to hide the scratch.

If you haven't actually seen the units, the stain color works well with Saunder's dark cherry furniture (works well with, not a direct match). I should know, I have a wall and half of Saunder bookcases in my HT room.

Weaknesses:

Packaging is not up to Saunder or other RTA furniture manufactures. I would not let the Gusdorf's be UPS'd to my home. Having said that, I had absolutely no damage or dings to any of the pieces, even though the boxes looked like they had been dropped twice.

The glass shelves are that greenish smoky color. If I was buy a glass coffee table with that color glass the WAF would through it out of the house. But for audio and TV racks, what the heck, most of the glass is never going to be seen.

The wire management is just a small slit hole cut in the back upright, but atleast I didn't have to cut my own holes. Hole size may not be adaquate (big enough) for every user, though the design of the back upright would allow the user to adjust the hole-slit size.

And there are no leveling feet on the bottom of the uprights. The no leveling feet is actually a strength for me, as I have the units on thick wall to wall carpeting and the wide footprint of the uprights sits better on the carpeting.

Overall:

I have owned the units for nearly 18 months. My rating Best Bang for the Buck.

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
The Outlaw 990 is a VERY BIG Pre/Pro!

When I order mine I had to buy a new rack because of the hight & depth of the 990; if you are getting the 7700 Amp it is also the same size.

I bought the VTI-AR406 and added an additional 11" shelf for a 7-shelf rack. The bottom shelf is already 11" and will fit the 7700 but I had to add an extra shelf and get the 11" poles, not the 8", in order for the 990 to fit on the second shelf.

Here is the 4 shelf version of the rack:

http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-AR404-VI1011.html

This will work fine if you plan to put the 990 on the very top shelf, the bottom shelf is 11" so a Large Amp will fit and the rest of the shelves are 8" apart.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis