Best center kit up to $150?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Hi,

I have JBL Studio 230s as mains. I’ve recently bought a used Chorus CC 700 center. It’s pretty good but sounds rather localized. Another used speaker in my budget is JBL S-Center II.

Could I get something noticeably better for $150 (total price for a kit)? I have until Saturday to tell the Chorus seller whether or not I’m keeping it.

Thanks.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I would buy another JBL Studio 230. Nothing beats 3 identical speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure of your dimension requirements, but dont compromise too much. If your gonna do DIY, I'd do a coaxial 2 or 2.5 way. SEAS makes a good unit.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Max height 18cm (7.1 inch). Depth about 50 cm (19.5 inch) if not ported. Width 75cm (29.5 inch). Any SEAS kits I should look into?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Yeah sorry, I meant s flat pack. I have to have it. Don’t wanna have to deal with cutting mdf with holes and all that.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
...... I still recommend the JBL! I know it seems "cheap" because of "plastic" but the audible effect of the differing crossovers has caused the "premium" model to not live up to your expectations.

Although I totally agree with everettT, since you are so close that a coaxial design might be best, it also requires your time and labor when that JBL should fit right in and sound matched to your existing speakers!

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
...... I still recommend the JBL! I know it seems "cheap" because of "plastic" but the audible effect of the differing crossovers has caused the "premium" model to not live up to your expectations.

Although I totally agree with everettT, since you are so close that a coaxial design might be best, it also requires your time and labor when that JBL should fit right in and sound matched to your existing speakers!
Hello again! :)
I’m confused, are you saying that a 3 way design is better for close listening? What do you mean by the audible effect of differing crossovers?

Also I find the timbre to match just fine with the current center. I’m just so close to it that I can’t help but notice where voices are coming from, and I don’t even know if a different speaker will solve this or not. I’ve seen a post about a similar issue with a klipsch kl-650 thx ultra2.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
and I don’t even know if a different speaker will solve this or not.
And to that end... wasn't the JBL the cheapest option?

Not being sarcastic, and not telling trying to tell you "what you are hearing isn't real" but just in realizing how close you are sitting, I feel strongly that it's the best solution given your options and listening position.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
And to that end... wasn't the JBL the cheapest option?

Not being sarcastic, and not telling trying to tell you "what you are hearing isn't real" but just in realizing how close you are sitting, I feel strongly that it's the best solution given your options and listening position.
The jbl is a bit more expensive ($40 or so) but I could probably get a better price.
I’ll contact the seller, maybe I could get to isten to it before Saturday see what it’s like up close.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The jbl is a bit more expensive ($40 or so) but I could probably get a better price.
I’ll contact the seller, maybe I could get to isten to it before Saturday see what it’s like up close.
Ah, I was mistaken and this explains why you are concerned.

I hope it works out for you, post back or even add your system to our Pros n Joes gallery!

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I’m just so close to it that I can’t help but notice where voices are coming from, and I don’t even know if a different speaker will solve this or not.
Is this your first system? Maybe you just need to adjust to it because you are suppose to know that the sound is coming from the center. Thats kinda the whole point. With a stereo system (2 channels) the effect is very different. If the center, left, and right blend in as far as a similar sound quality then you're all set.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Is this your first system? Maybe you just need to adjust to it because you are suppose to know that the sound is coming from the center. Thats kinda the whole point. With a stereo system (2 channels) the effect is very different. If the center, left, and right blend in as far as a similar sound quality then you're all set.
I think you’re right. When I A/B the two settings, with and without center, I immediately notice that voices eminate from the center. However, when I stop doing that and just watch something, I forget about it soon. Today I watch Iron Man and it was nice being able to understand dialogues without subtitles. I was looking at the action instead of the bottom of the screen, for a change.

I wonder if my search for a better center is pointless. I’m spending way too much time on this. :p

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I think you’re right. When I A/B the two settings, with and without center, I immediately notice that voices eminate from the center. However, when I stop doing that and just watch something, I forget about it soon. Today I watch Iron Man and it was nice being able to understand dialogues without subtitles. I was looking at the action instead of the bottom of the screen, for a change.

I wonder if my search for a better center is pointless. I’m spending way too much time on this. :p
You did Level Match each channel, yes?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Ok, I got to compare the S-Center II with the Focal. They were connected to a stereo receiver, music only, in a tiny room. Distance was barely 2 feet from the speakers. The JBL sounds more open (less directional), more detailed and is louder. The downside is that it’s actually less pleasant to listen to at high volume levels. The Focal definitely sounds boxy in comparison, but is more composed and not fatiguing at high volume levels.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, I got to compare the S-Center II with the Focal. They were connected to a studio receiver, music only, in a tiny room. Distance was barely 2 feet from the speakers. The JBL sounds more open (less directional), more detailed and is louder. The downside is that it’s actually less pleasant to listen to at high volume levels. The Focal definitely sounds boxy in comparison, but is more composed and not fatiguing at high volume levels.
That is a highly objective assessment! So what is the verdict?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis