Best Buy = stressful experience LOL

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Funny

As a custom a/v integrator who got his feet wet at a "big box shop" years ago I can tell you these things for certain.....

1. You got what you deserved and I find your “horrible” experience laughable.

2. The employees at BB & CC aren't just talking about the party from last night all the time. They are also laughing about how many times they can coerce other employees into going up and asking you if you need help because you aren't looking for anything but have been in the store for an hour. They are laughing at you. Don’t be pompous enough to think that you being in their department and not buying anything isn’t more annoying to them than them asking you for help is to you. If they’re not helping you, a manager is asking them why and making them try you again. There’s not a system in place to tag you as an “assertive - will ask for help” customer.

3. It is their job to ask you if you need help and they are going to do it. It’s that simple.

4. NEWS FLASH: Best Buy and your local stereo shops are not museums. They are not there for people to come in and look around so that they can go buy product somewhere else (like the internet) and save a few dollars. Nobody likes a tire kicker. And that’s what you are. You want good service from your local stereo shop and then won’t support them when they give it because their prices are too high? Give me a break! You can’t drive a Cadillac on a Chevy budget. If you want great equipment, great service, and bricks and mortar to go into and get help you have to pay for it. You should pay for it…. if it’s earned. Next time one of you guys want to go into a store to look, hear, and touch equipment that you have no intentions on buying you should man up and pay a little admission fee to the shop for viewing their exhibits. Think of it as a donation to help keep them open.

5. If stores seem like they want you to buy something or help you to make a choice and get out as quickly as possible guess what.... they do. It's the retail business model. Get them in, get their money, and get them out. It’s successful for a lot of companies.

6. I like the whole “crying about crying” comment. If you whine in a public forum people are going to call you out on it. It is what it is.

7. Last but not least… As I mentioned above, I am a custom a/v integrator. However, I do not have a brick and mortar store. Reason being: No matter how large or small a project every theater and audio system we design is custom tailored to our clients needs. How can someone who carries an inventory and stocks a show room recommend a system based on what their customer needs? They can’t (unless they’re fortune tellers) because there will always be that draw and financial need to move existing stock and sell what’s being displayed. I just want to make it clear that I have no animosity towards “lookers” for any reason other than principle. My customers are relationship and quality based and not price sensitive (usually).

Stores like BB and CC as well as your local high-fi shops are typically not my competitor and I could honestly care less as to what they sell or are doing to their customers. But I feel for those guys because I’ve been in their shoes and know how they get harassed by their managers. Know what type of customer you are and what type of store you are going into before getting all worked up.

Last edited:
B

bandit

Audioholic
In the Industry,

You mention that you should know what kind of store your going in to before getting all worked up. I'm seriously trying to decide who is more worked up - the original poster or yourself.

Its nice that you have your business and that you design custom systems for others - usually others with greater resources than the rest of us. Some of us have to go to BB or whereever because it is accesible and because it is what we can afford.

For me personally - I don't think I've ever purchased anything of importance without a couple of trips back to the store as I explore my options and possiblities. It chills me to think that BB employees are "laughing" at me when I do this. I guess I like to know what I am purchasing before I purchase no matter what the final source is.
I have purchased a few things on the interent- but now that I know I'm being laughed at when I go to "public" stores I am wondering if I should do all of my shopping on the net. Most of the speaker companies I see on the net allow you 30day home trials. I bet they aren't laughing at their customers. :cool:

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
I think you are misunderstanding my post. Or, maybe I was so worked up; I didn't communicate myself very well.

There is a difference between going into multiple stores to make an informed purchase or research a future purchase and going into multiple stores to gather intel (basically loitering and playing around) while never having even an inkling of an idea to actually spend money there. Maybe that wasn't the original poster's intention, but don't get pissed if the store wants to help you to buy something.

Many people have the idea in their head that they are going to buy online because they can save a little $. They have every right to do so. EVERY RIGHT! I have bought things online before myself. But you are wrong for complaining that the employees of whatever store you are in are trying to offer you help. The stores are there to sell you something. Not to sell something or help you make an informed purchase online from someone else’s website. If the store doesn't earn your dollar, then of course don't spend it there. But if they have the products you want, if they let you come in and listen, if they are there to answer your questions and support you after the sale, if they are priced in the ball park, etc, etc. than I'm asking why NOT buy from them?

And yes, if you are the guy who goes into BB, CC, HHGregg, or wherever and sits there bristling at the people working because they ask you if you want help... you are getting laughed at behind your back. Especially if, as the original poster did, you act like a jerk and go off on them. He's a 19 year old kid trying to do his job for Christ's sake. If you are respectful to people then of course you will usually be treated likewise. But, if you’re a weirdo who seems imbalanced, you’re going to get ripped.

If you look at any of my previous posts, I turn my nose up at no one, respect other people’s findings and ideas, am open to learning about new audio experiences, and hate audio snobs. I'm also extremely happy to do a system on even the most modest budget. Even if someone purchases from the web we will install their equipment. I don't have hate for the web shoppers. I just dislike the users who waste other people’s time with no intention of buying from them.

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
Just thought I'd throw in my opinion to this, since my point hadn't been raised.

I worked at Wal-Mart in the electronics section so my experience in selling retail may be pertinent. One of the big reasons you have people coming up to all the time is (depending on what section you're in) that they're making sure you're not stealing crap. I did it all the time with the browsers: they'd come in and just sit in the DVD, CD, games, accessories section for hours. It sucks knowing that someone could be taking all sorts of stuff and that I'd be blamed for not keeping an eye on them/checking up on them.

And like many others have said, it's their job. They don't know if you're well versed in the details of what you're looking at, or if you're just plain too shy to come and ask a question.

Also, there are plenty of a-holes out there that try to get something for nothing. Take this example: a customer walks in and goes looking at some TVs. The sales-person doesn't go over to see if he needs help, assuming the guy will come ask if he needs any. Finally, the sales-person's boss asks the shopper if he needs help, and the shopper starts *****ing and yelling that this is the first time he's been asked since he's been here and has been waiting for almost an hour. Manager calms the guy down and gives him discounts and stuff, but guess who gets *****ed at next? Yeah, the sales-person. He just cost the company money, etc. Might even get fired. You think one question is worth losing your job over? None of those kids want to take the chance on that.

Anyways, just my thoughts.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Having worked at Home Depot both as a part time salesperson, full time sales person then a dreaded department head I have been at the bottom of all the crap flows downhill heap for nearly everything discussed here lol.
It is quite true the managers, me included, have spoken to our salespeople when we see them walk by and are not greeted, qualified, etc. etc. etc.
A salesperson's job quite simply is to say "Hi, welcome to...how can I be of help." and try to satisfy that customer.

At HD if a customer complained that too many salespersons were asking them if they needed help management would have fallen over and died where they stood. Generally there are never enough salespersons...reason...it is the ONLY controllable cost/expense in a store.

I have had to give discounts to angry customers that could not find a salesperson to assist them. It is an easy, though costly, way to calm them down. Sometimes I wonder if some of them are just "acting" angry to get the discount but they get the big 10% off regardless.

I too have been asked often if I need help by salespeople at BB but always say "no thanks" if no help is needed. It only takes a second. Wandering into different aisles and different departments will always generate multiple offers to help. As has been stated it is their job.

Wander into a Lowes or Home Depot on an average day, not a weekend or sales period or evening, and count how many salespeople are on the floors. You will be surprised at how few there are.

L

lincolnhayes

Audioholic Intern
Yeah it really stinks to have a lot of people try to be nie to you. You need to try working in one of those stores, smile and greet people for eight hours and have 30% or more ignore you or look down their noses at you because they are the hippest people on the planet.

Ease up, smile back, and say no thank you. You'll walk out in a much better mood. That is unless you just dislike people in general as you come accross in your post. Good luck and DO have a nice day..

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
lincolnhayes said:
Yeah it really stinks to have a lot of people try to be nie to you. You need to try working in one of those stores, smile and greet people for eight hours and have 30% or more ignore you or look down their noses at you because they are the hippest people on the planet.

Ease up, smile back, and say no thank you. You'll walk out in a much better mood. That is unless you just dislike people in general as you come accross in your post. Good luck and DO have a nice day..
I don't think you've experienced walking through a Grand Forks, North Dakota Best Buy, a small town of 45,000 that would be non-existant without the 12,000 student University population. It's a bit different than the California Best Buy's and other Best Buy's throughout the country. Maybe it's the store management that is requiring these employees to be excessively "in your face" - and it could even bring them more sales. It probably does work for them, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. North Dakotans respond differently to overzealous sales people than Californians do. I am Californian. North Dakotans will just smile and pretend not to be bothered, even though they really are. I see this in the food industry here. If your food order is incorrect, North Dakotans tend to accept the error and not complain about it. Therefore the food industry in this state has such below standard service. Customers do not complain, food service and food quality remains sub-standard. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, but not in North Dakota.

I won't ease up, smile back, and say no thank you. It's bothersome and excessive. :)

Have you seen the movie Fargo? Watch the movie and that is exactly how the people act and speak. Thick accents (they're funny to hear :) ).

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Rob Babcock said:
I don't feel 'pampered' at BB- I feel harrassed!;) Why are there one hundred blue shirts wandering around interrupting me while only two of them are at the registers? And why does one check you out while two or three stand five feet away talking about the party they went to last night?
Hahahaha,you called that one right:D

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
JaceTheAce said:
I don't think you've experienced walking through a Grand Forks, North Dakota Best Buy, a small town of 45,000 that would be non-existant without the 12,000 student University population. It's a bit different than the California Best Buy's and other Best Buy's throughout the country. Maybe it's the store management that is requiring these employees to be excessively "in your face" - and it could even bring them more sales. It probably does work for them, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. North Dakotans respond differently to overzealous sales people than Californians do. I am Californian. North Dakotans will just smile and pretend not to be bothered, even though they really are. I see this in the food industry here. If your food order is incorrect, North Dakotans tend to accept the error and not complain about it. Therefore the food industry in this state has such below standard service. Customers do not complain, food service and food quality remains sub-standard. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, but not in North Dakota.

I won't ease up, smile back, and say no thank you. It's bothersome and excessive. :)

Have you seen the movie Fargo? Watch the movie and that is exactly how the people act and speak. Thick accents (they're funny to hear :) ).
I feel for you. I left that arm-pit of an area 20 years ago when I got out of the military.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis