Best buy currently for around $250-$400

K

kpierce

Junior Audioholic
I recently purchased a Samsun HT-P38. It works fine, but does not fill the room up with sound. The back-breaker was when I realized it did not have any video outputs. So to watch a DVD I have to hook my projecter directly to the until.

I have decided to take the Samsung HT-P38 back. Now I am faced with what to get as replacement. Someone recommended the the listed ONKYO - HT-S770 with 6.1 surround sound.

I know this question is asked over and over , but here are my details. I have a media room that is about 16 X 16, I would like the fullest sound possible on my limited budget. I would like to spend around $250-$400 total for a surround sound system (initially). Is the ONKYO - HT-S770 my best best? It is running about $200 on closeout at ecost.

I have an Infocus 4805 project with a 110" screen and this is great. It is just the Samsung does not seem to fill the room and it is lacking on the video outputs.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OK, for your budget, I think the Onkyo would be OK. I installed the 780 for a customer in a room about that size, and it was decent for the price. Nothing at that price point is going to be great, but it should at least be adequate to fill that room and you can always upgrade various components down the road because there aren't any special proprietary connectors on this guy like many HTiBs.

Last edited:
K

kpierce

Junior Audioholic
As I am return the Samsung and I am ordering the other sound system from an online place, I will be without a surround sound system for a few days.
Question: Is it possible to get sound out of my Comcast cable box into a pair of speakers, or even small PC speakers with power?

I know I can connect my projector directly to the cable box for video, but is there a way to get audio?

thanks again.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A powered pair of speakers should work connected directly to the box or TV, as long as they have volume control.

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
Have you checked into the Logitech z 5500s? MSRP $400 for a THX 5.1 system, but i found them for $220 @ Buy.com They are reviewed on this website, you might look into them...

K

kpierce

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the help. j_garcia, you stated you had installed an onkyo. Can you tell me what type of wall mount the back of these speakers has? I would like to also purchase the wall mounts in advance. Does this have the single screw insert in the back?
again, thank to everyone for helping me out on this.

thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Logitech won't work, it lacks the video switching capabilities required. It also offers zero upgrade path for nicer speakers later on.

I would call this a list of the requirements from the prior conversation:

1. 5.1 sound at a minimum
2. Video switching with at least 2 component inputs to handle HD cable and a DVD player
3. Multiple digital audio inputs to handle listed sources.
4. Best bang for the buck within a very tight budget right now
5. Potential for upgrading individual components down the road

That is why I recommend the S770. It isn't great, it is good. Very good for the money. When it was $500.00 it may have been a bit over priced, but was still good for the money. A refurb for under half that price? Yeah, THAT is a deal and will sound great compared to small tinny speakers and systems that offer zero upgrade path at that price point. ie: Really cheap HTIB dedicated systems.

Within those 5 requirements, I am open to be as wrong as possible and would love to hear other recommendations that fit the bill.

Don't forget - the S770 doesn't include a DVD player - you will still need one of those right? Is that included in the 400 bucks?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
kpierce said:
Thanks for all the help. j_garcia, you stated you had installed an onkyo. Can you tell me what type of wall mount the back of these speakers has? I would like to also purchase the wall mounts in advance. Does this have the single screw insert in the back?
again, thank to everyone for helping me out on this.
I'm not sure on the 770, but the ones in the 780 have a built in keyhole slot that they just hang on a single screw. I put some small pieces of foam on the corners so the speaker would not vibrate against the wall once the screw head was slid into the slot. It's not an ideal mounting scheme, but the surrounds are very light and a single screw should be sufficient. If they are the same, the slots are an odd size though, so make sure you get a few different size screws and try them out first, because I had to make an additional trip to the hardware store to find just the right one.

K

kpierce

Junior Audioholic
BMXTRIX: I have purchased the Onkyo based on your suggestion and am awaiting it's arrival. It was advertised at $200 on eCost but then they slip $75 in there for shipping. A little expensive on that but I bought it from them anyway.

I am now trying to decide if I should just mount the speaker directly to the wall, once they arrive or purchase some of those speaker mounts so you can turn the speakers.

And yes I realize I will need a good DVD player and that was not included in the price of $400 so I am still under budget!

If you have a good recommendation, please let me know. Something that will compliment the Onkyo. That is, not to cheap, but very reasonably priced.

thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably go with some universal wall mount brackets. They aren't heavy, but they will likely be easier to mount that way. Go with the cheapest you can find, because these guys are very light.

DVD Player - Sony NS50 is only around $70-75 and should do the trick. The current Panasonics are a little better than that, IMO, and will probably run you in the same price range. If you can find a Panasonic F-87 5 disc changer, I had one and was pretty impressed with it for right around $100.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis