Best Budget Sub for music only

P

perryg114

Audiophyte
I am looking for a sub for a friend of mine who is still stuck in the 70's. He has a pretty good 5.1 amp that he just bought and he wants more bass response than he is getting from some old Bose 901's that he is using as his main speakers. I am also going to try to get him to upgrade those and get all 5 speakers hooked up even if he is only going to listen to music. Don't really need wall shaking bass just something to fill in the low end a little.

Perry

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hsu STF-1. $311 shipped. Great little sub, can even fill good sized rooms with nice, tight bass.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
more bass response than he is getting from some old Bose 901's
If that's the case, he can buy any old sub and it'll be putting our more bass than a 901. ;)

You didn't mention exactly what the budget was.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
If that's the case, he can buy any old sub and it'll be putting our more bass than a 901. ;)

You didn't mention exactly what the budget was.
That's excactly what I was thinking... if he has Bose speakers, why bother dumping over $300 for a sub?!? he could replace his mains can get a much warmer, fuller sound.

But yep, need his budget. otherwise it's a crap shoot in trying to pinpoint a sub. then again anyone who's on a tight budget shouldn't be donating money to Bose for their speakers.

Last edited:
P

perryg114

Audiophyte
How about $300 for starters. He paid $1200 for those Bose 901's and they are POS speakers that have to be externally equalized (special bose box) to make them sound good at all. The box uses the tape monitor and acts as a two channel equalizer. Without it the speakers sound like crap. The tape monitor distorts all 5 channels not just the two main stereo channels. I am trying to convince him to get all new speakers and get a good modern system. He is really only interested in music cause he has a TV from 1978. I asked him if it still had tubes in it.

He has more money than GOD he just does not want to spend it.

Perry

Last edited:
ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
Yea, the Hsu STF-1, or the SVS PB10-ISD should work. You could go even cheaper possibly. But for quality, I wouldn't drop below those two. The SVS will be a bit more expensive.

He'll still have quite a gap in frequency I think between what.. 80hz and around 200hz? I forget where the roll-off on the 901's is.

In order to smooth that he he'll have to ditch those 2 901's

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
Why don't you show him how cheap an entire Acoustech speaker system is and how great their reviews are? I've never heard them personally but for less than the sickening amount he wasted on those Bose paperweights, he could have a whole new, highly regarded system. Then add any half decent sub and it'll be a whole new world for him. Before you know it he'll be shopping for 62" plasma displays! :p

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
The acoustechs are a great idea. Other than that, go with the Cadence X-sub. The SVS products are a better fit for HT, not music.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
The SVS products are a better fit for HT, not music.
My music to movie ratio is probably 90/10 and yet I will still go with the SVS PB10-ISD. Hope you won't hold it against me. ;)

irishmcmorgan

irishmcmorgan

Audioholic Intern
cadence baby

cadence xsub I use it every day for music and its works lieka charm and its loud and precise, plus my room is 24/24 feet so yeh, its loud :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis