Best Budget Sub for around $200 bones...

S

swamyg1

Audioholic Intern
I'm kind of new here but here is what I'm lookin at...

I'm in a smaller apartment so I don't want to shake other people out... my main room may be around 14' X 25'. I'm on a budget so I feel like my choices are kind of limited. I'll be pairing it with atoms or titans and a cc-170 or cc-270 center (paradigm setup). It's about 60% movies and 40% music...

The candidates are:

Mirage S8 8" sub ($199 but might be too musical and small)
Velodyne VX-10 ($144 but heard it was crappy)
Athena AS-P4000 ($149 but might be too boomy?)

I would appreciate any input anybody has on this... is there anything that I might be leaving out that would be a better fit here?

Thanks.

S

swamyg1

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the response...

my room is about 2500 cubic feet... Those Yamaha subs seem to have pretty good reviews, but they are a bit higher than my $200 budget (nevermind, I found it for around $200). I was looking at the other subs because the retail seems to be much higher, particularly on the Mirage and Athena... but price does not always equal better performance.

I will now consider the Yamaha... but I would like to get more opinions on this.

Bring it:)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I Would go with the Athena. I reviewed its older brother, and it did an admirable job. For 149, you can't beat it. Oh, and its not that boomy. The DPS-12 was better, but not by much.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
since all your choices are available in stores, try to listen to them there ...

and note that a subwoofers performance is highly dependent on room size, so you should consider the size of the demo room and your room ... the bigger the room, the harder it will be for the subwoofer.

your room is already considered "medium/average" in most standards.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
swamyg1, check out the short list I came up with here. Lots of good input and a few of these may be exactly what you're looking for... -TD

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
This is a tad over your budget, but may work for you. Nice specs for the price. Make sure you have the room - it's big, and heavy (around 50lbs).

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=601533800

Here's the driver's magnet out of the box:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/tpc3416/XSUB005.jpg

And the amp...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/tpc3416/4-29-05020.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/tpc3416/4-29-05018.jpg

Here's a review from a forum member (see post 6 for specs):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=571552&page=6&pp=30&highlight=craigsub+xsub

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me throw one more candidate at you...

swamyg1 said:
I'm kind of new here but here is what I'm lookin at...

I'm in a smaller apartment so I don't want to shake other people out... my main room may be around 14' X 25'. I'm on a budget so I feel like my choices are kind of limited. I'll be pairing it with atoms or titans and a cc-170 or cc-270 center (paradigm setup). It's about 60% movies and 40% music...

The candidates are:

Mirage S8 8" sub ($199 but might be too musical and small)
Velodyne VX-10 ($144 but heard it was crappy)
Athena AS-P4000 ($149 but might be too boomy?)

I would appreciate any input anybody has on this... is there anything that I might be leaving out that would be a better fit here?

Thanks.

take a look at PSB's subsonic subzeroi A good little sub with lots of omph for the money

S

swamyg1

Audioholic Intern
Wow,

Thanks for all the input guys... but now I feel like I have too many choices! Haha. I like the XSUB, but I feel like it may be a bit big for my apartment and neighbors... but I will still take it into consideration! That PSB is nice but maybe out of my price range...

I think I'm back to 2 of the original 3:

Mirage
Athena (a lot of people lean towards this, but it's fugly)

and

Yamaha
XSUB

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
there's no such thing as too big :) you can always turn it down if it is ... you cant turn it up if its already at max volume :)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
If aesthetics is a concern, the AV123 x-sub might be a good option. The white shadow maple is pretty nice looking, even the black satin finish wouldn't look too awkward out in the open. Granted $240 shipped might be a little out of your price range, but the FR is pretty good on it for a small form factor sub.. -TD

S

swamyg1

Audioholic Intern
If I found the Yamaha YST-SW315 for $200 do you guys think that would be a deal that I shouldn't pass up? With so many options it's tough to choose, especially when you can't hear them all with your own ears.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you are right to look for the best deal both online and in the stores...
but listen to them first (even if you're not buying from that particular store)

btw, what type of music and movies do you prefer?

S

swamyg1

Audioholic Intern
Hey!

I took your advice and went to Best Buy right after I read your post. Unfortunately there are no local tweeters that have a decent selection of subs otherwise I would be all over it. Unfortunately, there was a problem with their system so I didn't get the full effect... it was very, very frustrating. So, I kind of got to listen to 2 of the subs:

The Mirage S8- sounded nice... really nice. Clean and deep but maybe not capable after a certain limit. I'm not sure about it being an 8"... I wish it I would have snagged the S10 when it was around for $250.

The Athena sounded good too... it definitely sounded capable and deep, but frankly I can't stand the way it looks... and it's definitely not hard wood floor friendly... it also seemed very light for the sound it was producing.

They also had a Yamaha YST-SW215, that's the 8". It had a nice weight to it, BUT IT DIDN't WORK at all. I liked the aesthetics too... but no LFE? Does the YST-SW315 have an lfe jack on it?

So, this is where I am at... I still don't know. Too many options and no demos. I wish someone would just tell me my best option... I could go up to $250 depending on how sweet the deal is. I want a quality sub.

By the way, I listen to Classic Rock and Rap... maybe some Techno...
I like the commercial blockbuster flicks and good Independent movies.

Thanks!

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
which model athena did you test out? the as-p4000? how did it compare to the Mirage? Besides looks, which had more impact? extension?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
both the 215 and 315 has an LFE input. you stick the cable to the hole that says "L" (mono)

can you find other dealers where you can listen to the yamaha subs?

try to aim for a minimum 10" woofer for your sub. you're gonna need it for your size of room and music tastes

S

swamyg1

Audioholic Intern
I would say the Mirage had more extension... but the Athena AS-P4000 had more impact... the Mirage sounded cleaner, but not as deep. It must be the difference between the 8" and the 10". People say that Athena is a steal for the price... I am looking for the best bang for the buckaroo.

I agree with the Needing a 10" for my tastes... I was kind of weary about an 8" to begin with, I guess that rules out the Mirage. Thanks for all of your help.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Not to hijack the thread, but I am in the same boat as you. Room is not gonna be bigger than 15x15, and I need a Sub. Which one did you find really thumpy? I want something that hits you in the chest, as I listen to rap music and will probably do 80/20 music/theater. My studio 20's don't quite get the lows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis