Best Budget 42" Plasma for HTPC

S

scottyb

Audioholic Intern
I have been reading the forums about 42" plasmas and it appears the panny is the way to go. I am planning on purchasing the TH_P42PWD8UK and would like to know if it would provide a good resoultion for my HTPC. I will be doing web browsing, etc. I don't care if it isn't HDTV, I am eventually going to buy an SED display. I just wasn this to last about 2-3 years. The old Pioneer CRT RP tv isn't cutting it anymore.

I plan on hanging it on the wall. Is there any good mount recommendations?
If I don't hang it on the wall, I may make a custon cabinet or purchase a nice stand.
I likethe style of the bello stands, but I am looking for a cabinet/cradenza, ultra contemporary stand, any recommedations?

Do I need any additional video cards for this monitor?
I plan on ordering through Visual Apex.

Current systems configuratioin

Pioneer 55" CRT RP SD-P5185
Yamaha A3090 receiver no HDMI or composite May go to Denon in future
Sony DVD DVP NS775V
Atlantic Technology 250 series speakers
Motorola DCT 3412 from Comcast

HTPC

Intel 478 p2.4
Gigabyte 865pe board
FX5700LE MSI 128bit VGA, DVI, S-video output
300 Seagate Hard Drive
MS Media Center or Other

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PWD8UK&MFR=Panasonic

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If your primary purpose is HTPC I would bring up the following things first and foremost.

1. You want a display that is at least 1024x768 or you will be severely compromising your image integrity. 853x480 plasmas + PC = poor image most of the time. PCs are all about XGA output and 42" HD plasmas match this very well. 2-3 years is a GOOD bit of time to live with a poor image. So, I would definitely bump up a few hundred bucks for HD.

2. Plasma vs. LCD... Burn-In! Yes, this is still possible, but mostly through the use of exactly what you are planning on. Throw a PC and a plasma together and it is a recipe for potential burn-in. As long as you are aware of it, then you can avoid it. But, if you forget and leave the same image up on you PC for a few hours while you walk away, it is possible you could severely damage the screen. This is a non-issue with 37" LCD models which may be comparibly priced and worth looking at.

I guess it is about 800 bucks between the ED model and the HD model though... If it were video I would definitely recommend the ED model, but with PC - it just doesn't look very good with an ED display.

Of course, you want to connect via VGA or DVI - NOT S-Video! :)

S

scottyb

Audioholic Intern
Thanks BMX.

That was the answer I was looking for. Could you please post a couple of LCDS for me to read up on? I was thinking of the Sharp Aquos, Samsung or Sony LCD. My budget is no more than 2,000 give or take. I really am geared more towards the pc use. Looking at the internet right now on the old CRT isn't cutting it. Kills my eyes. I noticed the Sony's seem to appear brighter than the Samsungs.

Any other online video stores that are reliable and have high customer support. I am looking for fair price not bargain.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not at all into PC connectivity to my video displays, so I will claim ignorance on specific brands... but would suggest that you at least take a look at the Westinghouse LCD displays as they are coming in really high in the bang-for-the-buck category.

Not sure if you'll like them, but you can at least look at them and shop them out a bit at Best Buy. I mostly go out and window shop all the A/V stores in my area (including Sams Club/Costco) to just see what is there. Then I start shopping for price after deciding what I like most. Anything you find in store for around $2,200 will probably be available for under $2K shipped to your door from a quality manufacturer.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'd say the 32" Viewsonic is the hot ticket for $1000. If that's big enough for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis