Best AVR for music that also have 2.1 hdmi and eARC

Calin75

Calin75

Enthusiast
I know that a separate setting is to desire but my budget is not so large and also the space is limited.
So, I want to upgrade my current AVR (Denon x1400h) to one that have 2.1 hdmi and eARC but also to be good as it can be in stereo. I also have a turntable (Rega Planar 1) wich I enjoy very much. The thing is when I listen LP's it sounds way better than Tidal streaming from my Denon. That is why I want a better AVR with music.
My current setting include Q Acoustics speakers and an Emotiva sub (basX S12) wich I like very much.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I know that a separate setting is to desire but my budget is not so large and also the space is limited.
So, I want to upgrade my current AVR (Denon x1400h) to one that have 2.1 hdmi and eARC but also to be good as it can be in stereo. I also have a turntable (Rega Planar 1) wich I enjoy very much. The thing is when I listen LP's it sounds way better than Tidal streaming from my Denon. That is why I want a better AVR with music.
My current setting include Q Acoustics speakers and an Emotiva sub (basX S12) wich I like very much.
Yamaha V6A, or Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A if available will sound a lot better than lower end Denons and also has HDMI 2.1 & E-ARC.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Marantz is supposed to be a very "musical" receiver.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Calin75

Calin75

Enthusiast
Thank you.
I forgot to mention that when I listen to the turntable I have separate phono preamplifier, conected to the AVR in direct mode (Direct Auto - with room corection). I guess that my phono stage (Rega fono mini A2D) is better than incorporated DAC in the Denon receiver.

Calin75

Calin75

Enthusiast
So, between Yamaha and Marantz I incline to choose the last one, mostly because it has a bigger power supply, 650 vs 360. (RX-V6A vs. SR5015)
Or, I will wait a bit to buy Marantz SR 6015 with better room correction software.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Thank you.
I forgot to mention that when I listen to the turntable I have separate phono preamplifier, conected to the AVR in direct mode (Direct Auto - with room corection). I guess that my phono stage (Rega fono mini A2D) is better than incorporated DAC in the Denon receiver.
If you use room correction then its going digital. Thats not to say using the Rega phono stage wont sound better than the internal one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Calin75

Calin75

Enthusiast
If you use room correction then its going digital. Thats not to say using the Rega phono stage wont sound better than the internal one.

Why then the vinyl sound better? I can hear the difference.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Why then the vinyl sound better? I can hear the difference.
The ADC/DAC conversion in the AVR is very transparent so any sound coloring or such will just be a part of the sound through the process. Vinyl has its own sound signature due to the mechanical engraving/stamping and also the mechanical “reading” of the groove. There are a few sonic artifacts from this which to our ears sound very pleasant and “good”. If you record the analogue output of a RIIA and digitize it it will sound just like from vinyl. This is also why modern digital recordings can easily be transferred to vinyl and sold to those who like the vinyl sound.

Calin75

Calin75

Enthusiast
The ADC/DAC conversion in the AVR is very transparent so any sound coloring or such will just be a part of the sound through the process. Vinyl has its own sound signature due to the mechanical engraving/stamping and also the mechanical “reading” of the groove. There are a few sonic artifacts from this which to our ears sound very pleasant and “good”. If you record the analogue output of a RIIA and digitize it it will sound just like from vinyl. This is also why modern digital recordings can easily be transferred to vinyl and sold to those who like the vinyl sound.
It is not about the color of the sound. I just compared same tunes from Tidal and Spotify with LP's that I own. Let me try to describe what I hear. On the vinyl the volume is a bit lower but I hear clearly all the instruments and it gives me the impression that the orchestra, singer or band, is in front of me. Is not the same from streaming services. Maybe If I will upgrade my Tidal subscription from standard to HiFi things will change. Now it is aac at 320kbps

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
It is not about the color of the sound. I just compared same tunes from Tidal and Spotify with LP's that I own. Let me try to describe what I hear. On the vinyl the volume is a bit lower but I hear clearly all the instruments and it gives me the impression that the orchestra, singer or band, is in front of me. Is not the same from streaming services. Maybe If I will upgrade my Tidal subscription from standard to HiFi things will change. Now it is aac at 320kbps
If its two different masterings that can affect things a lot also but there are several things that are due to the mechanical way vinyl works that do change the sound significantly. If a digital system had the same accuracy and noise level specs turntables have they would be thrown in the trash :) (unless it was intentional for a specific reason)
Turntables sound as good as they do because of the things they do “wrong”, and sometimes also due to a much better quality of sound engineering and care taken.
Time and time again studies find that people dont always like completly accurate, our hearing and brain isnt made that way.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Too bad i dont remember what a youtube video was called or who made it, it was a very good piece about what exactly vinyl recording and playback does to the signal. You might be able to find it or others like it if you search. Might have been something like “why does vinyl sound like it does” or something.

Calin75

Calin75

Enthusiast
I would Not get the SR6015. You do need a receiver with a stable amp section has these Q Acoustic do dip to 4 Ohms.

This is the receiver I recommend

$399
I considered this receiver but the power source is only 360W. In comparison, on SR5015, I think, is 650W, almost double the power. Is not this detail important in overall performance?
Anyway I think is a great receiver. What about Yamaha RX-A2A? the specs are almost the same as RX-V6A (TSR-700). Why the price is higher? Is it better? In which way?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis