Best AVR deals in Canada ever - AVR-X3600H, SR7013 (not currently, but has been < US$1,000 equivalent a few times)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Good to see that the AVR-X3600H has been included in Audioholics.com's product of the year.

I used to think nothing could beat the AVR-X3400H in terms of value, but I was wrong. And to top it all, I just can't get over the fact that when > 90% of the time Canadians would pay more for the same or less, but they got a few breaks in 2019 and hopefully may continue in 2020 for the likes of the even better X3600H.

At the moment, if you are in Canada or near the border, the AVR-X3600H, at C$789 to C$799 is virtually unbeatable. The ridiculously Marantz deal were available 3X last year but has not returned yet so far..

AVR-X3600H for C$789.99

AVR-X3600H for C$799.99 at Bestbuy.ca

SR7013 for C$1199 at Bestbuy and others in Oct

The X3600H is 7.1.4 capable, and appeared to be practically as powerful as the SR6014, and I expect the two are virtually the same internally, except the AVR-X3600H does not have the 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs that people rarely need, and of course the HDAMs.

The AVR-X3300H measured well in the Audioholics.com review and the AVR-X3500H measured quite well in the ASR review. The X3600H's internal look a lot like the upper range SR601X/SR701X and AVR-X4X00H series so I would be surprised if it doesn't perform as well as those on the bench.

I would love to hear your thoughts and user experience of this seemingly fantastic value.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I was glad to see Gene's thoughts on the 3600, as I had made some recommendations of the 3600 a few times in the past. Trying to give people an option over the 3500, but some thought it was outrages to suggest it might be a better product all around and the price difference wasn't justified. However I think spending a few extra bucks sometimes, really does pay off in the long run. Anyways, guess that's neither here or there so to speak.

But it can be had here in the US now for $899 with a few goodies thrown in.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
PENG, that 3600 is nice unit, I especially like the two power rails it has. Plus that fact that it is rated 4 Ohms for all channels something that seems be rare these days.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mention the crossing the border thing....can US folk avoid the gst or similar tax or get an easy refund?

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
That's a sweet price for Canadians, and the 3600 has a full set of pre outs which would be perfect for an amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
PENG, that 3600 is nice unit, I especially like the two power rails it has. Plus that fact that it is rated 4 Ohms for all channels something that seems be rare these days.
Where do you see Denon offering 4 ohm ratings? I only see 8 and 6 ohm (which is fairly typical, too)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a sweet price for Canadians, and the 3600 has a full set of pre outs which would be perfect for an amp.
Yep, and like the x4000h series, and the SR6000/7000 series, you can assign the FL and FR to some of the height/wide channels so that the FL/FR power amps are isolated from the pre-outs for higher and cleaner preamp outputs for the front channels. The effects may or may not be audible but definitely good in theory.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You would have to cross the border to do it, I suppose..
No, that's my point, if you did cross the border from US to buy one in Canada what about the tax? Here in the US a sales tax refund would be a pain in the butt to document and claim a refund for most individuals (if doing so on a regular commercial basis there are some avenues to take) just taking it to another state (and may well simply incur another tax by documentation :) ). At exportation (i.e. international) you could apply for a state exemption/refund in at least a few states I'm aware of with proper exportation documentation as proof (pain for most individuals and even most commercial concerns if not done regularly). Just curious, its the old Customs broker in me but not that familiar with Canadian Customs except to say they're pretty focused on rules.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, that's my point, if you did cross the border from US to buy one in Canada what about the tax? Here in the US a sales tax refund would be a pain in the butt to document and claim a refund for most individuals (if doing so on a regular commercial basis there are some avenues to take) just taking it to another state (and may well simply incur another tax by documentation :) ). At exportation (i.e. international) you could apply for a state exemption/refund in at least a few states I'm aware of with proper exportation documentation as proof (pain for most individuals and even most commercial concerns if not done regularly). Just curious, its the old Customs broker in me but not that familiar with Canadian Customs except to say they're pretty focused on rules.
Canada has a goods and services tax, GST, it varies among the provinces. In Ontario it is 13%.

For US citizens you should be exempted, or as you alluded to you may have to pay it at time of purchase and somehow some way get a refund. I am guessing though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
it’s in the Manual 4 Ohm rated for all channels Minimum Impedance.
I see this under ratings in the manual:

"Rated output:
Front:
105 W + 105 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
135 W + 135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Center:
105 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Surround:
Surround back / Height1 / Height2:

No 4 ohm rating. Does show something about 4 ohm on output connector....

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I see this under ratings in the manual:

"Rated output:
Front:
Center:
105 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.08 % T.H.D.)
135 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)
Surround:
Surround back / Height1 / Height2:

No 4 ohm rating. Does show something about 4 ohm on output connector....
Accessories4less site under Specifications has it listed as 4 Ohms, Minimum Impedance. Although I would tend to believe that Denons website to be more accurate one. A4L has it as FRS 4 Ohms Minimum Impedance. Still in Genes test of the 3600H, he came up with over 70 watt x 5 that’s a very Solid amplifier. He went on saying that Denons test came up with over 80 x 5.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Accessories4less site under Specifications has it listed as 4 Ohms, Minimum Impedance. Although I would tend to believe that Denons website to be more accurate one. A4L has it as FRS 4 Ohms Minimum Impedance. Still in Genes test of the 3600H, he came up with over 70 watt x 5 that’s a very Solid amplifier. He went on saying that Denons test came up with over 80 x 5.
It's just the use of the phrase ratings as it is usually considered a specific output rating by the manufacturer (like it has in the manual a title for the section copied called "Rated Output") and to a specific standard (well, as to how much the FTC standard still applies check this thread perhaps). Most avrs are not rated for 4 ohm but most are capable of being used with 4 ohm speakers (to an extent). Some test rather well with 4 ohm loads, too but perhaps not for long term/sustained high output levels with every amp channel in use, power supplies in avrs are somewhat limited, particularly compared to large external amps. I have one of Denon's more powerful avrs (4520, here's the S&V bench test) and wouldn't hesitate to use it for even 4 ohm rated speakers, but it's not rated for 4 ohms by Denon particularly (I currently don't have any 4 ohm rated speakers on any of my avrs). Keep in mind a nominal speaker impedance rating doesn't tell the whole story either particularly.

I wouldn't worry about yours particularly although perhaps if I wanted to setup a full set of 4 ohm rated speakers used as full range without sub all powered by the avr at reference levels in a large room.....maybe then I might worry. Some avrs might have a 2/3/4/6/8 ohm dynamic power rating but that's fairly vague.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
It's just the use of the phrase ratings as it is usually considered a specific output rating by the manufacturer (like it has in the manual a title for the section copied called "Rated Output") and to a specific standard (well, as to how much the FTC standard still applies check this thread perhaps). Most avrs are not rated for 4 ohm but most are capable of being used with 4 ohm speakers (to an extent). Some test rather well with 4 ohm loads, too but perhaps not for long term/sustained high output levels with every amp channel in use, power supplies in avrs are somewhat limited, particularly compared to large external amps. I have one of Denon's more powerful avrs (4520, here's the S&V bench test) and wouldn't hesitate to use it for even 4 ohm rated speakers, but it's not rated for 4 ohms by Denon particularly (I currently don't have any 4 ohm rated speakers on any of my avrs). Keep in mind a nominal speaker impedance rating doesn't tell the whole story either particularly.

I wouldn't worry about yours particularly although perhaps if I wanted to setup a full set of 4 ohm rated speakers used as full range without sub all powered by the avr at reference levels in a large room.....maybe then I might worry. Some avrs might have a 2/3/4/6/8 ohm dynamic power rating but that's fairly vague.
Loveinthehd, thanks for posting up those links, well stated on Speaker impedance not being the whole story.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The newer models have the impedance setting that allows the manufacturer to say it is okay to connect 4 ohm speakers if you use the 4 ohm setting. If you do, you would potentially be trading dynamic punches for "safety" in terms of regulatory requirements, depending on your actual power needs.

As HD mentioned, they are not rated for 4 ohms as such but I would they could have rated the X3600H 50 W into 4 ohms if they wanted to based on the double down/half up theory.:D

I have never come across an AVR that actually offers a "4 ohm rating". That doesn't mean there are none.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis