Best AV Receiver Recommendations for B&W Speakers

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
OK,

So I had Denon AVR 4308CI. Daughter got some liquid on receiver and no audio now. Its out of warranty and not sure if I should repair or buy a new one.

I do have a 5.1 B&W CM series speakers.

Now that I'm thinking about a new receiver... don't know if I should go with receiver with separate amp ? or just with a receiver ?

I would be willing to spend up to 2K.

I was looking at Pioneer VSX-1021-K. Although its only $550, I liked their included features like AirPlay and iControlAV iPhone Application (where u control AV Receiver with iPhone app). Currently checking if their Elite models also have these features.

Not really into 3D or HDMI 1.4 but probably best to have these features to future proof.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
I've used the Outlaw monoblocks before and they were great performers. Just to give you another option though. You could get the Onkyo 3008 from newegg (they sell it for 1150 on the weekends usually) and an xpa5 from emotiva. I've also owned and xpa3 which again I thought was a great amp. I just bought an Onkyo 3008 which I'm waiting for from newegg! Good luck in your hunt.

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
Just as a side note you could also look into used amps on audiogon. Amps are pretty sturdy so as long as they are taken care of I don't think it's a big risk to go used. I was able to pick up an Anthem MCA50 for $1100.

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
OK... so I suppose using a receiver and a separate amp is better... but how much better ?

Wouldn't it be better to get an amp for all speakers instead of getting individuals for each speaker ?

Also, checking the back of amp, inputs are balance/unbalanced inputs. Checking Marantz I don't see these outputs... how would I connect to amp ?

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
OK... so I suppose using a receiver and a separate amp is better... but how much better ?

Wouldn't it be better to get an amp for all speakers instead of getting individuals for each speaker ?

Also, checking the back of amp, inputs are balance/unbalanced inputs. Checking Marantz I don't see these outputs... how would I connect to amp ?
I don't want to step on his toes but I'll answer to the best of my ability and I'm sure he'll chime in when he can. As far as how much better a separate amp is as compared to just a receiver....in a lot of ways it is somewhat subjective. There are people who thinks it makes a huge difference as those who don't. It also depends on the speakers. Some speakers are more power hungry than others and so it will make a bigger difference. With the cm9's having something like an 89db sensitivity if I'm remembering correctly (I looked at them as a possible purchase when I was looking for something new) I believe it will make a nice difference for you. I think it will really help your speakers shine and really open them up. Only my opinion and what I felt getting a separate amp did for my speakers. As far as needing one for all five....well with the receiver you are getting it is more than capable of driving the surrounds on its own which is why you could forego the amps for the rears. However, if you want one for all five obviously that is available as well. The Marantz will also hook up fine with those monoblocks. The monoblocks have rca hookups as well as the balanced ones so you would just use rca's too hook the amp to the preouts on the Marantz. Hope I was able to help a little.

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
I was checking the following Marantz combo AV7005 & MM7055. What about this ? Seems better than having individual amps ?

O

ougrad02

Audioholic
If it were me I would look for something with more power like in the 200 watt range. If you want a single amp I would go with an emotiva xpa5 or look on audiogon for something used.

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
If it were me I would look for something with more power like in the 200 watt range. If you want a single amp I would go with an emotiva xpa5 or look on audiogon for something used.
Yes, emotiva xpa5 has more watt range and is cheaper too :) I'll start checking this out. But in reality my broken denon 4308 had 140 Watts and it was more than enough...

BTW, Is it better to connect the balance or unbalanced inputs ? Or does it matter ?

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
OK, so after troubleshooting looks like my AVR 4308CI had reset and the reason no audio was because audio was assigned incorrectly....

I was really looking forward in upgrading :)

Dunno, although my 4308CI is working fine now... I'm really looking for excuses now to upgrade :)

Maybe I put receiver on ebay and see if it sells.... So I can offset upgrading...

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
If I decided to upgrade now, I probably would go for Marantz AV7005 & Emotiva XPA5.

Since I'm in no hurry to upgrade... Is it better to upgrade now or wait a few months ? Anything special coming out soon that is worth waiting for ?

J

jeannot

Audioholic
I have a 3808CI which is being obsoleted by HDMI 1.4a as we speak. I know, if it does everything I need so what, but the fact is that I can still get decent money for it, but as 3D catches up its value will fall and I'll have to spend even more money then.

Fool me once... So i thought of a novel approach. In order to minimize my losses from now on, I will buy the cheapest receiver with all the features I want, and PRE-OUTs. (which will still be a decent mid-range receiver) I already bought my next 4ch power amp, which will power the 4 fronts (L,R,C,S). That will leave more than enough power in the receiver for the surrounds.

It is a shame that we have to trash perfectly good amplifiers that make 70% of the weight of the receiver and environmental footprint, just because they're in the same box as an obsolete processing unit.

That way, when some plug/wiring/protocol/digital standard makes my system obsolete again, I will loose less money, having enjoyed a much higher quality amplification in the meantime, and will be able to shop for a low-power receiver again.

Just an idea.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Most modern 3D BDPs allow dual outputs (one video one audio) so I would not call it obsolete by any means.

J

jeannot

Audioholic
If I decided to upgrade now, I probably would go for Marantz AV7005 & Emotiva XPA5.

Since I'm in no hurry to upgrade... Is it better to upgrade now or wait a few months ? Anything special coming out soon that is worth waiting for ?
Always, always better to wait until you can't stand it. Electronics prices never go up, new standards come with no warning, rooms are rearranged every day. My 2 cents.

J

jeannot

Audioholic
Most modern 3D BDPs allow dual outputs (one video one audio) so I would not call it obsolete by any means.
Not obsolete from a functionality standpoint, but everything that sells now is more advanced from a standard standpoint :D

I thought HDMI 1.3a did not support the dual-stream signal that 3D blu-rays send.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not obsolete from a functionality standpoint, but everything that sells now is more advanced from a standard standpoint :D

I thought HDMI 1.3a did not support the dual-stream signal that 3D blu-rays send.
With the dual hdmi outputs, the blu-ray player sends the audio to your receiver with one output, and the picture to the tv directly with the other. That way, you only need to have a 1.4 tv and not a 1.4 receiver. The audio on the 3d blu-rays are no different than their 2d counterparts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis