best amp for Klipsch RP-150M Reference

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Hi all
I have just been given a pair of Klipsch RP-150M Reference as gift
:)

need some help to chose the right stero amp for it...
I will use them on my working desk ...

at the moment I have Voll 50 and using s.m.sl SA-36A Pro but I think for Klipsch RP-150M I can get better amp...I am not using Subwoofer and need something can run Klipsch RP-150M but also be compact as I want to put it on top or under my RME ADI-2 Pro FS which I use for my headphones...maybe I use RME ADI-2 Pro FS as DOC for Klipsch RP-150M also I have Audioquest Evergreen for 3.5mm to RCA or RCA to RCA ...
so please let me know which amp would be a good choice under $1000 .

Thanks in advance

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
is Klipsch PowerGate Amp any good...I can use my RME ADI-2 Pro FS as DAC?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you spend $1000 on an amp for $370 speakers? That doesn't make much sense. Just what features/connectivity do you want in the amp? The Klipsch speakers can be driven well enough by even your SMSL amp if you're good with the features that amp offers, altho you could get a lot louder with a more powerful amp; you might just use what you have for a while and see if it suffices.

The Klipsch is $200, much more reasonable, and appears to already have a dac built in and even has a phono stage; you could probably use your other dac if you wanted to by using the analog inputs, tho....here's a review of the Klipsch unit https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

I would suggest not buying silly Audioquest cables, that will be money better spent on things that matter.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully the Audioquest cables were gifted...

It seems completely upside down to me, to spend so much on cables and electronics. You're taking budget away from the things that can offer audible improvements and putting it into jewelry that offers absolutely nothing more in performance.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Why would you spend $1000 on an amp for $370 speakers? That doesn't make much sense. Just what features/connectivity do you want in the amp? The Klipsch speakers can be driven well enough by even your SMSL amp if you're good with the features that amp offers, altho you could get a lot louder with a more powerful amp; you might just use what you have for a while and see if it suffices.

The Klipsch is $200, much more reasonable, and appears to already have a dac built in and even has a phono stage; you could probably use your other dac if you wanted to by using the analog inputs, tho....here's a review of the Klipsch unit https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-klipsch-powergate-dac-amp.7376/

I would suggest not buying silly Audioquest cables, that will be money better spent on things that matter.
thanks for the comment

the fact is RP-150M is $800 in Australian$ which even if you convert to from US$ its still much more expensive and unfortunately this is true to almost all tech and AV product ... so when I said $1000 I meant Australian $ not US $ so perhaps anything here with 1000 AU$ you can find over there for $400-$500 ... for example Klipsch PowerGate here is between AU$ 500 - AU$600

also its good to know whet would be the logical correlation between speakers and amplifier ...
I wonder between Klipsch PowerGate , Yamaha WXA-50 , cyrus one hd and MaiA DS – Pro-Ject?

perhaps something up to US400...also I dont need Bluetooth or any other functionalities , I'd rather to pay only for a bare good store 2.0 amp ...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks for the comment

the fact is RP-150M is $800 in Australian$ which even if you convert to from US$ its still much more expensive and unfortunately this is true to almost all tech and AV product ... so when I said $1000 I meant Australian $ not US $ so perhaps anything here with 1000 AU$ you can find over there for $400-$500 ... for example Klipsch PowerGate here is between AU$ 500 - AU$600

also its good to know whet would be the logical correlation between speakers and amplifier ...
I wonder between Klipsch PowerGate , Yamaha WXA-50 , cyrus one hd and MaiA DS – Pro-Ject?

perhaps something up to US400...also I dont need Bluetooth or any other functionalities , I'd rather to pay only for a bare good store 2.0 amp ...
The WXA-50 is good, or if you don't mind spending more, the WX-C50 and a low cost power amp would be more future proof.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
How about a used Yamaha P2500s amp...sound great, and in the USA uou can pick one up for $200 used (not sure about your location whepat the price is). I ran my RP150Ms with them and it aas great sounding.. The amos fan never turns on in home use, and they are Yamaha reliable.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How about a used Yamaha P2500s amp...sound great, and in the USA uou can pick one up for $200 used (not sure about your location whepat the price is). I ran my RP150Ms with them and it aas great sounding.. The amos fan never turns on in home use, and they are Yamaha reliable.

Yep, and there are no shortages of low cost power amps with good specs that can be paired with the WX-C50. The WX-A50 measured better than quite a few separates measured on ASR, and I expect the WX-C50, that has no internal power amps, will do even better.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Absolutely. I use a p2500s on my mains. Great amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes Australia does change things up a bit price-wise. Still, don't overthink the amp. If your dac offers switching between the inputs and has a volume control and anything else you might want, a power amp rather than an integrated amp is a good option to look into. Really don't know what's available to you there or at what pricing, tho.....link us up to some examples of what you're looking at.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
thanks all for the helps...I tried to search Yamaha P2500s but there is only 1 in US which they wont ship to Australia...is there any other similar ...also as the speakers are in my office on my desk... the room is 3.5m X 3.5m ...
so the clarity at low volume is more important to me ...will WX-C50 or WX-C50 alone enough ?

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Yes Australia does change things up a bit price-wise. Still, don't overthink the amp. If your dac offers switching between the inputs and has a volume control and anything else you might want, a power amp rather than an integrated amp is a good option to look into. Really don't know what's available to you there or at what pricing, tho.....link us up to some examples of what you're looking at.
thanks again... how about this BASX A-150 Stereo Power Amplifier :

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know a lot about that particular model. Looks a little on the lean side for power tho.

Dig up some more options and link them here. It's a lot easier for us to help you out with more options to choose from.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
I don't know a lot about that particular model. Looks a little on the lean side for power tho.

Dig up some more options and link them here. It's a lot easier for us to help you out with more options to choose from.
and how about Rega Brio R MkII Integrated Amplifier ? it seems I can source it here

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
thanks all for the helps...I tried to search Yamaha P2500s but there is only 1 in US which they wont ship to Australia...is there any other similar ...also as the speakers are in my office on my desk... the room is 3.5m X 3.5m ...
so the clarity at low volume is more important to me ...will WX-C50 or WX-C50 alone enough ?
It's handy using a good VPN so I can use an Australian server and able to know what's available in your country.

TAG (Technical Audio Group) are located in both Melbourne and Sydney. They sell the QSC Audio brand products and might get you a GX3 2 channel power amp. It's also possible that they could rent you one for trying:

Also the following dealer who has the GX3 amp for a reasonable $495. This amplifier is an excellent reliable product:

Last edited:
M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
It's handy using a good VPN so I can use an Australian server and able to know what's available in your country.

TAG (Technical Audio Group) are located in both Melbourne and Sydney. They sell the QSC Audio brand products and might get you a GX3 2 channel power amp. It's also possible that they could rent you one for trying.

Also the following dealer who has the GX3 amp for a reasonable $495. This amplifier is an excellent reliable product:

Thanks Verdinut
How about Rega Brio? Which one better?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If your dac can handle the inputs/preamp duties, that could work fine....how much does it cost there? The Rega integrated amp might be interesting if you need the features a power amp doesn't provide but I also don't see cost for that. The QSC pro style power amp may have some fan noise to consider but they're very good amps and much more power than the other choices.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Verdinut
How about Rega Brio? Which one better?
I don't know anything about the Rega product. But about QSC, let me mention that it is one of the major professional audio equipment manufacturers and suppliers to the entertainment industry. Their amps are used by musicians in gigs, in public venues such as stadiums as well as in cinema theaters.

Their products are so reliable that you won't be able to blow any of their amplifiers. I am using four of their amps in my home theater system. The ones which I have are in the more expensive DCA series which are actually used in cinemas worldwide. QSC is a 50 year old company and I wouldn't use anything else for power amps.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If your dac can handle the inputs/preamp duties, that could work fine....how much does it cost there? The Rega integrated amp might be interesting if you need the features a power amp doesn't provide but I also don't see cost for that. The QSC pro style power amp may have some fan noise to consider but they're very good amps and much more power than the other choices.
The QSC GX3 amp has no noticeable fan noise. One of my close friends is using one in his small living room, and you cannot hear it running. It's not the same situation however with the RMX series of amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The QSC GX3 amp has no fan noise. One of my close friends is using one in his small living room, and you cannot hear it running. It's not the same situation however with the RMX series of amps.
Thanks, I remember yours have some fan noise that doesn't bother you on your DSC series....couldn't remember what audible fan noise the other series might have or not....

Another pro amp style is Crown XLS, whose fans run very quiet. I have several of those. In some parts of the world they market those as Amcron, not sure about down under.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis