Best $2000 A/V Receiver?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Room EQ system is not really about distance but to try and minimize the negative effects of the room and speakers interaction. Even for distance though, I trust a good REQ such as Anthem's ARC more than the measuring tape. Measuring tape is fine if you are doing the EQ yourself, but if you going to relay on auto REQ then you are going to have trust the mic and the software, that don't go by the physical distance. I guess they display distance because that's easy to understand. For regular speakers, the figures do come very close, but for subwoofers, the tape measured results could be very different, but could also be close, it just depends...

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212341543-Subwoofer-Distance
Uh, the speaker distance, whether actual or in the settings, is extremely important. If that's wrong, life is gonna suck.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Uh, the speaker distance, whether actual or in the settings, is extremely important. If that's wrong, life is gonna suck.
Of course it's important. My point is, what the tape measured shows is not necessarily better than auto REQ's measured value that is based on time delay but displayed in distance (ft, meter). If both happens to be the same, it's accurate and also look good, if not the same, I would go with REQ's at least Audyssey XT32 and Anthem ARC that I know I can trust. We are dealing with Acoustics in room, time delay based "distance" is better than the physical distance, thought quite often the measured values are the same or almost the same. Again, for subwoofers, the distance could be a little more different.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Of course it's important. My point is, what the tape measured shows is not necessarily better than auto REQ's measured value that is based on time delay but displayed in distance (ft, meter). If both happens to be the same, it's accurate and also look good, if not the same, I would go with REQ's at least Audyssey XT32 and Anthem ARC that I know I can trust. We are dealing with Acoustics in room, time delay based "distance" is better than the physical distance, thought quite often the measured values are the same or almost the same. Again, for subwoofers, the distance could be a little more different.
And, for those who may be reading but not responding in this thread, I would add that the side walls need to be considered when using any kind of auto-EQ system, so the reflected sound isn't as strong as the direct sound so the distance isn't skewed.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And, for those who may be reading but not responding in this thread, I would add that the side walls need to be considered when using any kind of auto-EQ system, so the reflected sound isn't as strong as the direct sound so the distance isn't skewed.
I should also add that some speakers (aside from the obvious suspect the subwoofers) may also have enough delay to skew the results depending on the crossover design. I have not experienced that with my L/R/C speakers as the results have been very closed to that of my tape measurements but it does not mean other's won't get "skewed" (from the physical distance) even without the possible side wall effects you mentioned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis