Behringer DCX2496: Flashing lights

S

scix

Enthusiast
Okay, so I recently bought a Behringer DCX2496 second hand. At first, it seemed to work fine, although I have yet to hook up any equipment to it. But after attempting to do a "factory reset" by pressing both page buttons whilst powering the device on, it now doesn't work at all. When powering it on, all I get is flashing red, green, and yellow leds on the "A" input and the "1" output. The OSD shows no text, it just shows as a blank, green screen. Has anyone run into this problem before, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: The green LED screen seems to be flickering a little, as well.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, so I recently bought a Behringer DCX2496 second hand. At first, it seemed to work fine, although I have yet to hook up any equipment to it. But after attempting to do a "factory reset" by pressing both page buttons whilst powering the device on, it now doesn't work at all. When powering it on, all I get is flashing red, green, and yellow leds on the "A" input and the "1" output. The OSD shows no text, it just shows as a blank, green screen. Has anyone run into this problem before, and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: The green LED screen seems to be flickering a little, as well.
I just looked through the manual, its fat, I do not see anything like that mentioned also I have two of these and never experienced this action you describe, I will read up some more and hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in, sawz.

S

scix

Enthusiast
Yeah, I looked through the manual as well and there is nothing there about it.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Have you tried the reset again? Have you tried connecting a computer to see if it recognizes the drive? If not it probably needs the PS replaced ("power supply electrolytics") which seems to be a common problemas well as some noted soldering issues as well.(which would not be you issue)

S

scix

Enthusiast
Have you tried the reset again? Have you tried connecting a computer to see if it recognizes the drive? If not it probably needs the PS replaced ("power supply electrolytics") which seems to be a common problemas well as some noted soldering issues as well.(which would not be you issue)
Yeah, I have tried the reset again, it doesn't help. I don't have a computer with a COM port any more, and I've found that those usb-rs232 converters tend to be pretty unreliable. If I can find the converter (or borrow a computer with a COM port), I'll try to connect it up.

BTW there is a thread on diyaudio.com describing the same issue. I'd post a link, but it won't let me do it just yet. You can search for "Help me repair a DCX2496 with Tent clock" to find it.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Yeah, I have tried the reset again, it doesn't help. I don't have a computer with a COM port any more, and I've found that those usb-rs232 converters tend to be pretty unreliable. If I can find the converter (or borrow a computer with a COM port), I'll try to connect it up.

BTW there is a thread on diyaudio.com describing the same issue. I'd post a link, but it won't let me do it just yet. You can search for "Help me repair a DCX2496 with Tent clock" to find it.
I have no issues using a usb to serial cables. If you use vista there are some tweaks needed depending on the version. The repair is about $80 so don't spend to much time trouble shooting it.

S

scix

Enthusiast
The repair is about $80 so don't spend to much time trouble shooting it.
Through Behringer themselves, or through a random repairer? I'm in Australia so it might be more expensive, too.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Through Behringer themselves, or through a random repairer? I'm in Australia so it might be more expensive, too.
Repair center, although I'm not sure about the dollar conversion.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
As for the usb connection, if you still have issues let me know the OS and ill pm you the changes that need to be made in the device manger

S

scix

Enthusiast
As for the usb connection, if you still have issues let me know the OS and ill pm you the changes that need to be made in the device manger
I'll have to find the converter first, but I've got a PC using windows XP, so it shouldn't really be an issue. It was probably the device I was using had compatibility issues.

S

scix

Enthusiast
I got around to hooking up the DCX2496 to a PC, and I have managed to got it working again. I'm not sure how to be honest, I had to do multiple firmware uploads from the PC, and connecting and reconnecting the device to the PC often didn't work. It seemed it would just randomly start working again, and then stop working again. I think what eventually go it working was storing a preset after the device was powered on and running. After that, I didn't have any troubles booting it up, and I tried multiple times.

Hopefully, that is the end of the issue and it will continue working from now on :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I got around to hooking up the DCX2496 to a PC, and I have managed to got it working again. I'm not sure how to be honest, I had to do multiple firmware uploads from the PC, and connecting and reconnecting the device to the PC often didn't work. It seemed it would just randomly start working again, and then stop working again. I think what eventually go it working was storing a preset after the device was powered on and running. After that, I didn't have any troubles booting it up, and I tried multiple times.

Hopefully, that is the end of the issue and it will continue working from now on :)
Glad to see you got it working again. I had trouble getting mine to work, brand-new, out of the box. There was nothing wrong with it - I'm just thick:eek: and the manual was probably translated from German by Behringer's Turkish janitor....:rolleyes:

If I had encountered the same problem as you, I'd probably have taken a hammer to it.:eek:

S

scix

Enthusiast
Old post, but I figured out what the problem was. It seems that it doesn't like SPDIF for some reason. The manual says it is supposed to work (and other people have reported that it works fine) but with this unit, it doesn't. Unless it only works well with a CD player's SPDIF output (I don't own one). I tried both my Asus Xonar Essence STX Essence's SPDIF and onboard intel HD audio SPDIF. It looks like the output is too strong, as it clips very heavily for a few seconds, then goes into the flashing lights state.

Analog output run through my old Yamaha A520 integrated amplifier's send/receive ports (which aren't true preout/main ins supposedly) works fine although volume control is a bit awkward. I'd rather use the digital out for better quality, if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

S

scix

Enthusiast
I looked closer at the DCX manual, and it appears that the input impedance for the XLR SPDIF/AES port is 110 ohm. Coaxial SPDIF is 75ohm. Could this problem be caused by an impedance mismatch? Doesn't seem likely that it would cause such a severe issue, though.

S

scix

Enthusiast
I pulled it apart and reseated all of the ribbon cables, and the DIP chip on the main board. Now both analog and digital outputs work without the DCX crashing :)

However, when using the digital in, the output doesn't work with the receive inputs on my old amplifier (or any of the input ports for that matter). It just results in very distorted and quiet output. Probably clipping like mad from a too strong signal.

I had been reading in the past about putting a volume control in between the DCX and the amplifier, which would have the added benefit of giving me more control over the volume. Are there any affordable options these days, or is it still a $300 plus cost? Would prefer not do DIY, unless I can get it in kit form without having to build an enclosure.

S

Sptrng

Audiophyte
Very old post, but i have a dcx with the same problema after a fall. It was the ribbon cables that went a bit out of the socket as some members commented.
A friend have a unit with the same problem after a light shut off. I Will check It and update, but i supose It os the PSU, like others members commented.
Thanks for the help!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis