Beginning AV confusion, advice appreciated.

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Hello Everyone, I am new to the home theater world. I have sound bars and a few basic audiophile headsets. But this seems to be a new realm, and I was shopping for a new better sound bar and the prices are making lean towards a full setup.

I got some of the basics down, however I am still confused. First off, I have a Samsung Q90R. So my tv produces 4K @ 240 hz. I see these AV receivers have 4K pass through. What’s got me confused is lets say I want to connect my 4K player to the receiver. I see a lot of them 4K/60hz or 120hz. How is this supposed to match up with my TV?

I do realize that if I stream through the TV it will be fine and I will get my display output. Console and PC will be fine 120hz. Did I miss the memo that 4K players only do 120 hz?

Second, I’m going to be purchasing a basic home theater system just to get my toes wet. I need to maintain between 80 to 150w rms for this set up according to the manufacturer to avoid damaging them. Seems like all I could find are much larger power output for 4K/120 receiver.

I search 4K/240hz and can’t find anything.

Third, and probably most confusing of all is the entire Dolby Atmos setup. I will be buying a Klipsch R-625FA, I believe it’s 5.1.2. So for right now I’m just going to buy that, but I want to make it 7.1-2.4 eventually. So this where it’s getting confusing and the power output question stems from above.

I am also trying to keep my budget at 600 or less.

I appreciate all of you who take the time to hear me out and your feedback

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A refresh rate of 240hz is just something your tv is doing, has nothing to do with actual content. An article like this might help https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

I have no idea why you think you must "maintain between 80 to 150w rms" for any setup. Speakers use power as they need to get to the desired volume level. Many use just a few watts at normal listening levels. If your speakers are capable and you want higher spl then a suitable amp may be in order.

$600 is just too little for a full component set up for the number of speakers you're talking about and doesn't even buy you much of an HTIB (home theater in a box), even you only wanted a 5.1 speaker setup.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that budget is too tight. A full 5.1 setup that's half way decent under $750 is going to be very hard to find. Are you close to a big town or city? I've found some very good deals on nice speakers on Craigslist, but I'm near Phoenix and there are always a couple thousand speaker listings. Also, you could just start with a stereo pair or 2.1 and add on as funds become available. I think a decent 2.1 to start out will sound better than a soundbar.

Now the upshot with expanding your budget and getting a proper 5.1 system is that it's going to pretty much blow any soundbar out of the water. Even a budget system, if you pick the right gear. I think we have some articles 'round here somewhere for budget systems... I'm gonna go see if I can find the one I'm thinking about.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Third, and probably most confusing of all is the entire Dolby Atmos setup. I will be buying a Klipsch R-625FA
Before you buy those Klipsch speakers you need to find time and go sit yourself in front of them for an Hour. You need to see (Hear) if they are to your liking.

As you can see thats a deal

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, thanks for the response. Okay, how about we up the budget to 1000? 1200?

I live in Los Angeles, so I have options, but as of right now I chose Klipsch because we have frys electronics home theater demo. They have the cerametallic older model of Klipsch. Yes it has a titanium tweeter and all that. A downgrade isn’t that bad.

and yes that’s a 15 min experience.

I realize the center channel is crucial, I will swap out to the 404c for the center.

I also in the debate of getting the 112 woofer instead of the 12sw. Not certain if it’s worth it.

this is a $1079 dollar set up with Dolby. I don’t think that can be beat.

I can get the full system from Klipsch right now on Labor Day sale for 2,200+

I can add a pair of 610F’s for 200. So that’s 1279 for a full 7.1.2

I can add a pair of 625F to the rear for 500. That’s 1579.

Im not definitely not a home theater wizz so I’m asking for your feedback with what I’m considering.

Honestly I wouldn’t be cheap, but I got no work and I can’t go back until probably mid 2021. So I’m at home a lot and on the TV 50% of my day.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic

Looks like think highly of the Fluance brand? Do you own them?

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Do you guys have any suggestions for other home theater set ups with built in Atmos preferably in a similar tier?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Do you guys have any suggestions for other home theater set ups with built in Atmos preferably in a similar tier?
When I start thinking of a super budget system, I think of Parts express.

Their sub1200 is every bit as good as the Klipsch 12’s and only 150ea.

Here’s another example. Their towers are 140pr, and are a great bargain. @shadyJ has experience with a variety of Dayton speakers, and could possibly chime in. If you have the option to mount ceiling speakers, either in or on, some of their bookshelf models would work well. Keep in mind, this kind of system will have some limitations, and won’t peel your skin off at loud volumes, but should sound very good overall, and especially for the money.
I also like @Pogre ‘s suggestion of used. You can find some real gems out there.
Also, I would look at 5.x.4 before 7.x.2. It seems like you might have room behind the LP for top rears or rear surrounds, and a good 5ch bed with four Top, or height speakers will be more immersive. I would not use Atmos enabled upfiring modules unless there’s no other choice.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@MacCali How is your set-up going? It is all about what your budget can afford at the time and be able to look up independent reviews, if available. Myself, I have L/R and 2 surrounds that are bookshelf speakers. As someone else said, the center speaker is the most important in the system, for clarity/understanding. The subwoofer, one 10" will be fine in med size room or smaller, whatever that is. My room size is 8W X 12L. Sitting head distance to the 55" 4K UHD, is 7.5 feet. https://tvsguides.com/tv-viewing-distance/ Hear is more speaker info: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/search/428551/?q=speakers&t=post&o=relevance

Last edited:
M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Well I am in a two part fiasco. I am doing the headphone thing, and I am learning trying to prep for any upcoming sales. Most of that is out of the way.

I have now shifted a bit, I do not believe I am going with Klipsch. I am now down the Elac road. So I am trying to see what I wish to do with that. Just unfortunately getting tossed around.

I got a three part battle going on, Unifi vs Unifi 2.0 vs Adante; and yes it is going way over budget. I have a local audio shop selling the adante 5.0 set up for 4700 no tax. It's driving me a bit crazy, cause that is a road I would like to go down. Unfortunately I do not have work at this time during the pandemic situation. But that is a damn good deal.

However, with the Unifi and Adante's I am running into a more costly situation. I feel that that route is going to require seperates for the 4 ohm load and sufficient power to destroy my neighborhood. I believe the Adante's are 4 ohm, definitely not an expert.

So now the shift comes and the question which arises is it seems a safe bet would be to go with Emotiva's amp, regardless of what setup I am going with. Now second, which is probably more crucial is what processor or avr pre amp I should go with without financially crippling me.

I get the notion that whatever processor/avr preamp you get needs to have the channels to feed into the amp. But does that mean I can go with a trash avr preamp? since lower power avrs are obviously much cheaper.

Probably the most confusion I am experiencing right now. I will ask to see what people say on another threat I am going to post.

But yea that Adante is making lose sleep at night, if I had the correct equipment right now I would definitely have purchased those in a heart beat. But now an additional 2500-3000 to get optimized performance is out of my range.

So Much for a Budget. I am actually considering them because they offer financing. So the payments like that I could manage, but I cant do like 8k right now. And the consideration of so much additional costs.

Went out and demo'd those guys, in case youre wondering what was so captivating. the original Unifi and the Adantes, as the gentleman was saying for the extra cash that's a banger of a deal. The adantes are demo's.

They only got the Unifi towers, but as a demo a pair for 500... that would virtually put me back into my old price points.

I also read above what was mentioned about Ali Express and subs, I think I am going to go with Bic philharmonic 200, probably not the right name. If you fix those ports they are a great bargain for performance.

If I go with the adantes I wouldn't be getting a sub for a while for sure, but they sound amazing hands down solo

Thanks again guys, and sorry for such a late response, not sure why but I haven't received and notifications in my email from your responses. Not sure why.

Appreciate your feedback on the topics I just discussed.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Dont cheap out too much on the AVR even if going separate amp. Many of the cheaper ones dont have pre out and you get a lesser version of the room correction also. The Denon 3700(or slightly older depending on need) series is considered a good AVR to use with separate amps, it has the connections and top audyssey version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

MacCali

Full Audioholic
Dont cheap out too much on the AVR even if going separate amp. Many of the cheaper ones dont have pre out and you get a lesser version of the room correction also. The Denon 3700(or slightly older depending on need) series is considered a good AVR to use with separate amps, it has the connections and top audyssey version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes I totally agree, right now I got two new AVRs I’m looking at, Marantz 7013 OB for 1100 from an authorized dealer and 8012 for 2089 from an authorized dealer online.

currently just considering going with the 7013 and just using that extra 900 to just get the Unifi 2.0’s. As they run at 6 ohms.

it’s basically the same deal, price wise, either get the 8012’s to run the 4 ohm uni fi which are older but cheaper

at the end they both are running up to the same price 5 channels Unifi + 8012 is 3300

or Unifi 2.0 + 7013 is 3300 as well.

So I think logic says go with the better speakers and that are easier to drive at the same time. Helping the AVR’s longevity.

Just going to grab the bookshelves and hold off until blackfriday and see if I can cut down my costs for the rest.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis