Beginner - Wired speakers through out home Denon AVR 687

• Thread starter DenonforDummies
  • Start date
D

DenonforDummies

Audiophyte
I just bought a house with wired speakers throughout in the ceiling. The former owners left everything plugged into a Denon AVR 687. I am 100% new to using an AVR. I don't think the owners left the mic or the remote for the Denon AVR 687. It seem like the in ceiling speakers play when the zone 2 button is selected. Some speakers on the bookshelf play when zone 2 is not selected. I would like to play spotify from my phone through the ceiling speakers, guessing I need to use Zone 2. I have a bluetooth receiver and a 3.5mm to 2-male RCA adapter audio stereo cable. I plugged this into the V. Aux input audio L and R. This works when zone 2 is NOT ON and I select the input of video aux, and plays in the bookshelf speakers. However when I select Zone 2 for the ceiling speakers, it does not play. Only the TV sound plays. I can not figure out how to change the input source from the TV to Aux for Zone 2.

Does anyone know how to change the input for the Zone 2? Is the remote necessary? I read the manual, but it seems to only show remote steps. In addition, the manual is a bit over my head since I have never used an AVR before.

Thanks for your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally you simply set the avr for zone 2 (vs main zone) and then select the input to be used for zone 2...it sounds like you may be simply missing this step of selecting input while in zone 2 mode but not sure from the description (were you able to get sound out of the ceiling speakers and with what input did you get such?). I'd think this is something you could easily do from the front panel without a remote. I was thinking at first you had a digital input which may be restricted to main zone, but since you're using the analog inputs it shouldn't have such a restriction. Amp assign and input assignments might need to be checked as well.

One of the best sources for information is the manual, and while you may not need to know everything, they're generally good to get acquainted with. Older Denon manuals were known to be a bit hard to interpret (was even a guy on the internet by handle of batpig that created a Denon to English dictionary :) ). Remotes usually are the best way to control it/set it up.....are you using the graphic user interface with a tv or just using the front panel display on the avr?

You can still buy a Denon remote on ebay I'd think, or get a universal remote like something from Logitech's Harmony line....the microphone probably not particularly worth it but probably also available on ebay. It's always fun when someone leaves behind a whole home system without all the components or info on how it was setup....

D

DenonforDummies

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for the information. The Denon to English dictionary has been so helpful. I also found that remote! It immediately allowed me to change the input to the right location for the input source! And now we have sound in all the speakers. I do think I need to try to do the auto setup to optimize the sound quality. Do you think I should buy the OEM microphone for the Denon AVR 687? I did see it on eBay.
Thank you.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you so much for the information. The Denon to English dictionary has been so helpful. I also found that remote! It immediately allowed me to change the input to the right location for the input source! And now we have sound in all the speakers. I do think I need to try to do the auto setup to optimize the sound quality. Do you think I should buy the OEM microphone for the Denon AVR 687? I did see it on eBay.
Thank you.
The mic and Audyssey won't do anything for the whole house speakers, but it will work for the Main Zone speakers. Also, you'll need to add the Harmony software should have asked if you want Zone 2 as a separate device- you definitely need to select that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you.
I was thinking that avr has an old basic version of Audyssey but I don't see that mentioned. You can get the mic and use the auto setup for the main setup, but likely you could do as well setting it up manually IMO with an spl meter (even a basic app on a phone for such). I see those mics (DM-S205) on ebay for about $20.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis