Beginner trying to select a system

R

rki

Audiophyte
Been auditioning a few 5.1 systems: ELAC 310.2 Jet, Canton 790.2 and the PMC twenty-24. Each systems were auditioned at different locations with other systems and these are my favorite 3.

They are all great system and it turns out the ELACs are my favorite. Although the ELAC 310.2 are small speakers, they do perform quite well in a small room with noisy traffic(shop was on a busy road).

What I am concerned about is my new house is still under renovation and the living room is much larger than where I was auditioning. My living room is where the system will be fitted is connected to the dining room with no walls. So I have a very wide open space on one side.

If anyone here are using any of these systems, please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Give us some dimensions and budget, also a room layout wouldnt hurt..

R

rki

Audiophyte
I have around 8k to 10k budget for a 5.1 system.

Here is my floor plan:

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, that is an awesome budget...

Heres is how I would do it if it was my money..

Onkyo 709 $450 a4l
Emotiva XPA5 $900
2- HSU vtf2's $1200
Jade center- WHARFEDALE JADE C1 CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER (EA) at Music Direct
jade 5 towers- WHARFEDALE JADE 5 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct
jade surrounds- WHARFEDALE JADE SR SURROUND SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct

That would actually be at the lower end of your budget, with the 2 subs it would be a 5.2, but the vtf2's aren't Huge so you can easily place them and the 709 has really good calibration software so you can set the room up perfectly.... The jades are known for being very easy to setup, you can almost face them anyway you want and they sound great, they look like they are sealed but they are actually have invisible porting that blows down near the bottom...

I just ordered a set of 5's, they also make a 7 tower but I have tried them every which way and the 7's are good if you arent running a sub for 2.0 music, but if you are crossing the fronts for theater anyway the 5's with twin subs sounds awesome...

In this budget you have a lot of options, but the Jades are just plain sexy and sound very laid back and warm... Very neutral, if that can make sense... And you get a lot of technology for your money, they aren't plain mdf cabinets, they have a lot of design time invested and the result is good...

Keep in mind I have already auditioned these speakers, and MANY others, it is a hobby of mine to drive around to different shops and audition stuff, at the high end stores I make an appt. and bring coffee and snacks for the employees, I took 2 of the girls that work at sound escapes to lunch {where they drank too much wine lol}. I like neutral, warm, well detailed speakers that sound good down to at least 80hz, {which is easy for most towers, most go down to 30 but with subs you cross them at 80, at least I do anyway..} heres a review of the 5's http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wharfedale2/1.html .

Also check out ascend sierra towers, with there center and which ever surrounds you like the look of {surrounds are just effect speakers and you will notice they don't fire much, just stuff like car doors, foot steps, heavy breathing, ect... Also there are a few sales on Focals, But I havent heard all of them... let us know what you decide to try out..

Last edited:
C

ctciatti

Enthusiast
That is going to be one hell of a system, with that budget. Can't wait to see it.

DreamUnicorn

DreamUnicorn

Enthusiast
I'm not gonna bother posting specific models because there are just too many good options, especially with a generous budget. Audioholics has some speaker shootouts and recommended systems at various price points that should steer you in the right direction. imcloud posted some good suggestions but I have to disagree on one point. I strongly suggest starting with one sub and adding another later of you feel the need. Almost everyone on this forum seems to think you need at least two subs for all but the smallest of rooms, and that just isn't usually the case. Buy one powerful sub and put some money into bass traps and wall treatments. That one sub will sound much better in a treated room than two subs in an untreated room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis