Beginner looking for recommendations on 3.0/3.1

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just another option with a wood like finish and front ported.

I have never heard HTD, but I hear good things about them. They seem to focus on engineering over marketing, and operate by word of mouth, also located in the Dallas area.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I did notice however that the KEF Q750 do not have a port at all. Also, I could get two walnut versions on Amazon warehouse deals, one with a imperfection on the front / top of the speaker (as you may know, Amazon warehouse deals are very nonspecific and do not provide pictures), the other with imperfections on the back / bottom of the speaker according to the description. I could obtain both of those speakers for less than $1,100 before tax. Obviously the center that matches them is $600, which would already put me at $1,700 without a sub or amplifier. Im honestly tempted to just go with some polk audio S55 in walnut due to the fairly good, although inexperienced reviews, and the downward firing port. I really want some decent sound but I also don't want to make a money pit out of a hobby like this in fairly desperate times If you know what I mean.
I think the KEF q750's are really good speakers, I've listened to them and really liked them. You could get them and forgo a center channel for now until you have more money later. I'd get them before polks. My last suggestion about RSL was specifically because you asked for something in the $1200-1500 range that we'd recommend. To be honest, that's a tight budget and you have a lot of constraints (desires) on that budget, and it may not be possible to get them all.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
I decided to go for KEF Q750 because I should be able to put them right up against the wall given no port and there were two used options on Amazon with hopefully just cosmetic blemishes that maybe I can fix or reduce. These totalled $1168 after tax And I have 30 days to return them. I will probably go borrow my dad's receiver to make sure there are no functionality issues while I wait for labor day sales to purchase the center channel that goes with them and my own receiver. Open to suggestions on a good receiver for this three-channel setup. Thank you guys.

Also, it seems as though these probably have a pretty good bass response So I'm hoping I can delay the purchase of a subwoofer temporarily.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
Somehow I skipped over that HTD link otherwise I might have gone for those + their center channel and saved a few bucks. I'll keep you guys posted.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
Well I got the first speaker from Amazon today. Looks like there are three fairly significant dings on three of the four corners all on one side of the speaker. The veneer is sort of peeling and veiny in a couple areas but the drivers appear totally intact I'll have to upload pictures to a third party host since this website doesn't resize automatically and considers my camera phone images too large.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hopefully the Interior Bracing and Crossovers are OK

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try tapatalk for access if using a phone....sorry to hear about the dings...

Well I got the first speaker from Amazon today. Looks like there are three fairly significant dings on three of the four corners all on one side of the speaker. The veneer is sort of peeling and veiny in a couple areas but the drivers appear totally intact I'll have to upload pictures to a third party host since this website doesn't resize automatically and considers my camera phone images too large.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
If you look back a few posts I found two of these speakers on Amazon warehouse deals with described dings for approximately 40% off full retail with 30 days to return. One speaker had supposedly more significant dings or dings in more noticeable areas versus the other. I was kind of surprised today to find out that this speaker is actually supposed to be the one that's in better shape, and that I paid about $590 for before tax. The one that was described as having a "minor cosmetic imperfection on the rear and/or side". The speaker I have yet to receive is supposed to have a cosmetic imperfections on the "front and/or side" and was listed for about $490. I'm kind of nervous to open that box but as I stated I can return it or both. Here are pictures from the more expensive speaker that I received today. The other one should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Currently out of stock, but A4L is a trusted vendor and is also the certified vendor for KEF B-stock and Refurbs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, take a closer look over at A4L.

Seems that you may be able to step up to the Q950 for a similar price, and in stock!

If you have doubts on the condition, give them a call. I have never bought from A4L, but I hear they have excellent customer service.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
Hey, take a closer look over at A4L.

Seems that you may be able to step up to the Q950 for a similar price, and in stock!

If you have doubts on the condition, give them a call. I have never bought from A4L, but I hear they have excellent customer service.
I believe I looked at their site and quickly passed because they only seemingly had white products from KEF for some reason and I preferred a wood finish. The Amazon options were the only used/refurb/redone in a wood finish I could find.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I believe I looked at their site and quickly passed because they only seemingly had white products from KEF for some reason and I preferred a wood finish. The Amazon options were the only used/refurb/redone in a wood finish I could find.
If the one you got is the one that's in better shape I'd consider sending them back and waiting until A4L gets some wood grain KEF's back in stock. I for one wouldn't want to be spending $500+ for speakers beat up like that.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
Costco is selling this receiver for $429:
Denon AVR-S750H 7.2-Channel 4K AV Receiver

May be a silly question but what is the benefit of the receiver you linked? I'm new to these home audio receivers. I'm only planning on running this 3 channel KEF system +/- a subwoofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Costco is selling this receiver for $429:
Denon AVR-S750H 7.2-Channel 4K AV Receiver

May be a silly question but what is the benefit of the receiver you linked? I'm new to these home audio receivers. I'm only planning on running this 3 channel KEF system +/- a subwoofer.
Not a silly question, but the biggest differences among avrs will generally be connectivity/feature set. Amps somewhat, and the lower range of avrs will not generally have the most robust amp sections, those generally come with avrs from the upper end of the range. What I'd personally like in a Denon avr is the Audyssey XT32 feature and pre-outs for all channels (so Denon models in the series X3xxx and above). The S750 does have a nice general feature set and may well work fine for you, tho.

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
What's the purpose in seeking a 7 channel receiver for a 3 channel setup?

D

Daesonn

Enthusiast
I was finally able to connect my dad's receiver which took a little finessing. The DAC I had to buy didn't work so I ended up using the headphone jack on my smart TV to convert to RCA. I'm using a Sony STR DH130 receiver on max volume and it's not as loud as I would hope at full volume. Also one of the speakers is damaged so I will most definitely be returning both to Amazon and hopefully purchasing a pair through A4L. I may even go with the Q950s depending on what comes in stock and when. I'm still trying to figure out what type of receiver to go with. This will be a 3.0/3.1 setup for now and even far into the future I can't imagine having more than a five channel setup so should I stay away from seven-channel receivers? Seems like I should try and find a receiver with less channels and more amps per channel. Thanks again

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the purpose in seeking a 7 channel receiver for a 3 channel setup?
It's the general format of current avrs so most available and cost effective. Even just a 5.1 avr is pretty rare now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis