Beginner Home Theater

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
18' deep by 20' wide. The fireplace comes out 3' into the 18' so it's 15' from my TV to the back wall behind the sofa.
Okay our spaces are similar...if you can find the sweet spot location, 1 of those might be good enough, but with furniture placement, etc that's rare. Two of those beasts will be too much for that space, it's not a terrible thing...much like mine, they won't be taxed a great deal. I have two of the VTF3 mk5 subs and one along the TV wall and one behind the main seating is where I have them...I played a John Wick Bluray last night (1st one) and they shake the house in some scenes.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
That's awesome I can't wait. I'm going to put this one up front at first then in a month or so get the other and put it behind the listening area. They will be overkill for sure but I would rather never push em super hard then they last a long time hopefully. Probably order the second sub and WOW1's at the same time.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Oh yea Jim did say sold he just said he's really busy and would get the payment info to me today. He's also boxing up a couple other orders today he said. I just mailed him so hopefully he will send me the payment info here shortly.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Edited to add...Wow monitors...I've heard great things about them. For the capability of the speaker, it seems a bit of a waste to put them in surround duty unless that's just what you want.

I just got a few multi channel SACDs in and I played two over the weekend...Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms is outstanding imo. The sound engineer sent a fair amount of content to the surrounds without it sounding goofy. The RBH Rb5i handled it beautifully...under $250 a pr.

But...if you did get them and found you've essentially put them out to pasture in surround duty...you could always move them to another room and enjoy a kick ass little speaker.
That's what I thought also but Jim kind of talked me into them lol saying he uses them as his surrounds. I'm going to get them finished just like the ones I posted above that looks awesome to me. This way when I upgrade to the Sound Scape 8 or Veracity HT2-TL later I can have them finished to match the surrounds. The maple will work for now but I like dark.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watch for Amazon sale on Denon AVRs. Keep an eye on the Denon X4200. Price may go to $699 BRAND NEW. Regular price is $1500. Now it's $1,100.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For speakers, I would get 5 identical monitor speakers + 2 identical subs (same exact brand and finish as the 5 monitors for AESTHETIC reason).

Place 2 of the monitors atop the 2 subs using 18" SPEAKER STANDS (same color as the speakers, like black, so black monitor, black sub, black speaker stand). This will turn the 2 monitors + 2 subs into bigger "Modular Towers".

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Payment made and Jim is shipping them out in the morning woot woot!

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
For speakers, I would get 5 identical monitor speakers + 2 identical subs (same exact brand and finish as the 5 monitors for AESTHETIC reason).

Place 2 of the monitors atop the 2 subs using 18" SPEAKER STANDS (same color as the speakers, like black, so black monitor, black sub, black speaker stand). This will turn the 2 monitors + 2 subs into bigger "Modular Towers".

For right now I'm going to put my HSU VTF-15h Mk2 in the middle with the center channel on top of it flanked by the L and R towers. I will pick up the the other matching sub and surrounds next month.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Well not going to do the WOW1's in that finish Jim said it's stupid expensive lol. Going to get a quote on the African Bubinga with Rose Red Dye.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Or I could just go with the HSU HB-1 Mk2 or CCB-8s as surrounds and save some cash. Might be best.

2channel lover

Or I could just go with the HSU HB-1 Mk2 or CCB-8s as surrounds and save some cash. Might be best.
Nothing against the Wows...smallish room in a 2.1 set up with a nice sub...in a heart beat. But I might save the cash too if surrounds was the purpose.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
What surrounds did you find that deal on 2channel? Hold on let me scroll back a bit.

2channel lover

Anyone heard the KEF Q100 or ELAC Uni-fi UB5?
Can't help much with either of those speakers...I'm late to the Elac party and have no experience with the brand at all, but they have a following. They have to have some merit to achieve that. I'm quite familiar with the Kef line. I have heard the R100 BS speaker...outstanding performer, the B&W 805d3 is probably the best BS speaker I've heard...this R100 is pretty close imo.

I would have to assume the Q100 is maybe a step down based on price. Again, if you're looking at these for surrounds I have no doubt that either would do the job well.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Can't help much with either of those speakers...I'm late to the Elac party and have no experience with the brand at all, but they have a following. They have to have some merit to achieve that. I'm quite familiar with the Kef line. I have heard the R100 BS speaker...outstanding performer, the B&W 805d3 is probably the best BS speaker I've heard...this R100 is pretty close imo.

I would have to assume the Q100 is maybe a step down based on price. Again, if you're looking at these for surrounds I have no doubt that either would do the job well.
At 6k per pair they better be damn good lol.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
Just contacted Dennis Murphy I think I will just get some Affordable Accuracy Monitors.

2channel lover

At 6k per pair they better be damn good lol.
They are nice, but way over priced...the entire D3 line up ridiculous now. I've heard the original diamond tweet and the D3....eeehhh.

The 805 is a sweet little speaker, the sound is amazing from such a small box, but not for that kind of money...I'd get the Kef R100 any day.

You mentioned the Salk Soundscape 8...I seriously thought about the Song3 Encore or the SS7 and just dropping the center channel. Jim said with the subs I bought the 3A would be a great fit with a center to cap off the HT.

If I ever get a windfall of cash and can build a 2 ch only system...I would splurge on a pair of the Exotica3s...and probably go deaf.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis