been looking everywhere for accurate information please help verify

K

kevcam111

Audiophyte
NOT SURE WHERE I CAN ASK THIS QUESTION. im trying to connect my pc to my avr and my tv.
i have gone with a pc display port to display port to hdmi converter to hdmi in on tv
and from pc hdmi to avr hdmi in
is this the best option for me?

if there is any other info you would like to know i just wanted to keep it short and simple for now.

thanks

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
The PC -> DP-to-HDMI adapter -> TV solution will probably only net you stereo sound. Stick with the PC -> HDMI -> AVR path.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
NOT SURE WHERE I CAN ASK THIS QUESTION. im trying to connect my pc to my avr and my tv.
i have gone with a pc display port to display port to hdmi converter to hdmi in on tv

if there is any other info you would like to know i just wanted to keep it short and simple for now.

thanks
What kind of computer and how old is it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to know what your options are....what are they?

K

kevcam111

Audiophyte
I have a PC windows 10
AMD radeon 5800 series video card
With an hdmi, dvi, and display port.
My avr is a denon avr s700w
Tv is an older Samsung smart tv with hdmi, and optical inputs,
Pretty confident. My tv doesnt have arc but my avr does.

My problem is I want to be able to get dts through my system when video is coming from the PC.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought i read somewhere whe. Hdmi from PC to avr and hdmi to tv from avr, that i wouldnt get 7.1 because the signal is converted to PCm at the reciever, or something like that.

If I am way off please correct me. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What happens when you connect your pc to the avr via hdmi? Not sure what ARC has to do with it unless you have other audio you need from the tv. I've used my laptop to my avr/tv this way and have had multich audio (with appropriate output settings in pc)...try it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
HDMI out to receiver is the best way to do it. It's how I'm doing it in my theater and I'm able to bitstream all formats without issue. Windows will recognize what formats your receiver supports, but you'll have to configure your playback software to output the audio properly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI from PC to AVR then HDMI from AVR to TV is usually the way to go. That's how probably 99% of us do it. We get full 5.1, 7.1, 7.1.4, 7.1.6 just fine as long as our systems have it.

K

kevcam111

Audiophyte
But I cant get dts this way. When I change the input to dts on avr it just goes silent. I have the PC settings right and the tvs as far as I know. The avr I probably missed something but I am not sure what. Hopefully someone else does

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
But I cant get dts this way. When I change the input to dts on avr it just goes silent. I have the PC settings right and the tvs as far as I know. The avr I probably missed something but I am not sure what. Hopefully someone else does
Are you connecting it through the HDMI port in your video card? What do you get if you leave it on auto? The AVR is processing what is sent to it. If your PC is not sending DTS you can't process it. Not sure why your concenred about the TV settings as that should have nothing to do with what's going on at the AVR/PC

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but why would you send 2 PC HDMI video card port connections to the TV and AVR? Realistically you should only have to send one HDMI port connection to the AVR HDMI input(s).

B

BT1650

Audiophyte
If you have silence on your avr input from PC, it is likely that you need to change the input type on your avr. Go to settings on avr find your input settings make sure that your input from htpc is set to hdmi otherwise no sound will be heard from avr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DTS isn't an input. Your avr can decode a lossy DTS (or lossless DTS HD-MA) codec if you bitstream to the avr (and if you decode in your pc then it would output as multich pcm/lpcm). Your avr also has a sound mode from DTS (like Neo:6 or Neo:X) that can upmix from say 2.0. Is DTS the only problem, what about Dolby encoded formats?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What are you using for playback from your PC to the AVR? Not hardware, but what SOFTWARE are you using?

Issues related to PCs connected to home AV systems almost always are issues that exist within the PC. Whether it's the video card, bad drivers, or just weak software which is in use.

Specify, exactly, which software you are using on your PC.

No question, you should be using HDMI from the PC directly to the Denon, then on to the TV. Period.

You also suggest that it only outputs 'PCM' audio, like that's something bad. PCM audio output just means that the PC is decoding the audio from surround sound internally, to deliver to the receiver. It doesn't mean the audio isn't full resolution or worse. It just moves the conversion from inside the receiver to inside the PC.

An issue arises when the PC converts it from surround sound down to stereo, or something like that. That's not good.

I had a similar issue recently where my PS4 was internally decoding audio from surround sound to PCM. I had the audio output set to PCM audio. My receiver handled it just find and played back in surround sound. But, I had a secondary DSP which couldn't downmix the PCM audio to stereo for playback on headphones and in stereo only rooms. I had to go into the PS4 and change my audio output settings from PCM to Bistream. Bitstream audio output allowed for the original surround sound mix to be sent to my AV receiver properly, and it allowed my secondary DSP to convert from surround sound down to stereo accurately.

The issue? In my source.

Your issue? 99% of the time will be in your source.

Don't complicate things by using DisplayPort, or sending audio to the TV first. Keep it simple then look for the issue that is going on with your PC and most likely with the software you are using with your PC. Make sure it is set to Bitstream for audio. Default may be PCM, but if the software handles DTS at full audio resolution, then you are getting full DTS audio at your receiver.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

thanks
Sounds more complicated than it needs to be... definitely not short and simple.

As has been suggested, HDMI out from PC to AVR HDMI input. The AVR HDMI out to TV HDMI in.

That said, I've had to change settings in my PC by right clicking on the sound icon and changing from "5.1" to "stereo". When my PC is set to 5.1 my receiver does not up mix stereo to 5.1 for some reason so that was my solution. Whether or not I did it right, stereo up mixes now for me.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis