S

Sunsetter

Audiophyte
We are remodeling most of our house, and I am really struggling to figure out stereo speaker placement in the master bedroom. The layout is in the attached picture. There will be a king size bed along the 13'6" wall (headboard against that wall). I was hoping to have two bookshelf speakers facing the bed, but there isn't a great location for them due to the location of the walk-in closet doors on the wall opposite the bed. Speakers cannot sit on the outside of the doors since it would block the entrance to the bathroom. I think my options are:

- Two bookshelf speakers on the edges of the 7' wall facing the bed, between the two closet doors. This feels like they would be somewhat too close together, while also being pretty far from the main listening position (sitting up in the bed). Likely candidates here are KEF LS-50 or R3, Revel M106 or M126be, or Focal Aria 906. Need to listen to them.

- Ceiling speakers. I could do two or four. There are various KEF or Revel options which seem like candidates.

- On-wall speakers in the corners (meaning the 18" and 22" walls)? Eg, Revel S16?

-In-wall speakers in the corners? Eg, KEF Ci3160RL-THX?

I know none of this is optimal, but what is the least-bad option likely to be here? In either case, I can put a small subwoofer (SVS micro or KEF KC62) in the corner along the 18" wall near the windows. Amplifier will be Yamaha XDA-QS5400RK, which can handle 4 pairs of speakers total. I will be able to bridge two channels if necessary. I could actually do two pairs of speakers in this room, but I suppose that is probably causing more problems than fixing anything...?
bedroom.jpeg

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
We are remodeling most of our house, and I am really struggling to figure out stereo speaker placement in the master bedroom. The layout is in the attached picture. There will be a king size bed along the 13'6" wall (headboard against that wall). I was hoping to have two bookshelf speakers facing the bed, but there isn't a great location for them due to the location of the walk-in closet doors on the wall opposite the bed. Speakers cannot sit on the outside of the doors since it would block the entrance to the bathroom. I think my options are:

- Two bookshelf speakers on the edges of the 7' wall facing the bed, between the two closet doors. This feels like they would be somewhat too close together, while also being pretty far from the main listening position (sitting up in the bed). Likely candidates here are KEF LS-50 or R3, Revel M106 or M126be, or Focal Aria 906. Need to listen to them.

- Ceiling speakers. I could do two or four. There are various KEF or Revel options which seem like candidates.

- On-wall speakers in the corners (meaning the 18" and 22" walls)? Eg, Revel S16?

-In-wall speakers in the corners? Eg, KEF Ci3160RL-THX?

I know none of this is optimal, but what is the least-bad option likely to be here? In either case, I can put a small subwoofer (SVS micro or KEF KC62) in the corner along the 18" wall near the windows. Amplifier will be Yamaha XDA-QS5400RK, which can handle 4 pairs of speakers total. I will be able to bridge two channels if necessary. I could actually do two pairs of speakers in this room, but I suppose that is probably causing more problems than fixing anything...?
View attachment 63159
I just installed Sonos architectural in-wall speakers with Sonos amp in a very small space. I Went with in-wall over in-ceiling because I could place the tweeters at hear height. Sounds good but I’m not concerned about critical listening. Didn’t add a sub even though the amp has an output. Grilles are paintable so they should disappear which my wife will appreciate. You will have better sound if you go with KEF or Revel speakers and a sub. Both are excellent choices. For stereo music you probably don’t need multiple pairs. SVS and others even have in-wall subs. Suggest in-wall or on-wall depending on if you want to see the equipment. I like saving floor space beyond a dedicated listening room. Good luck!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think that 7' wall facing the bed offers the best possibilities.

Will you have furniture or a TV there? It might work better if you wall mount the speakers instead of using stands or sitting them on furniture. You'll be able to hang them higher up off the floor, at roughly ear level.

A very good speaker for stand or wall mounting would be Philharmonic Audio's Ceramic Mini. I've heard it, and like it better than a KEF LS-50. The last I heard, they were available in black, blue (somewhat darker than in the photo), or white. They have very wide horizontal sound dispersion which will make their precise placement in a room easier. https://philharmonicaudio.com/

Each speaker weights 17 lbs., easy to wall mount. Any of these wall mount brackets should work. It will probably require mounting a threaded insert in or a bracket on the back of the speaker cabinet. Not to worry, its very easy to do. (Ask me how if you want.)

Contact Philharmonic Audio to get a photo of the backs of those cabinets. Ask how thick the rear cabinet wall is, and if they recommend a particular wall bracket. The first two brackets on the list look identical and look to me like they'd work the best:

Last edited:
DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Take a look at Triad InCeiling Bronze/8 LCRs. They are designed with a 45 degree angle, and the sound will appear to come directly from the wall in front of you. Triad will also paint the speaker grills the same color as your wall or ceiling. https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/home-theater/54606-1000-4

More info on Triad:

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls. In addition to InRoom speakers, Triad has In-Wall, OnWall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for rooms in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a development partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio. Most recently, Triad Gold Monitor speakers won Best of Show at the 2019 CEDIA Expo in Denver. How Triad's Are Built:

Regards,
Dawn

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis