Battlefield Bad Company II: DEMO

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Started playing yesterday and tought that game was pretty cool. The demo is well done and give you a good look at what the real game will look like. It's gonna be sick!

The video quality is not that good, but I guess it's normal since it's a demo.

OTOH, the audio is balistic! Crispy, punchy, LOUD! The dynamic range is well used. Bullets that fly by your head are so real that can make you jump of your seat!

Video Quality: 3.00*
Audio Quality: 4.50*
The Game Itself: 4.00*

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I have the Beta for PC at the moment and I was initally really disappointed in it. The bullet damage was just far to low and it came down to unloading an entire clip of ammo into someone before they would die.

Although they did patch the weapon damage it is still too low. The last real FPS I played online was CS:S and BC@ just felt clunky in comparison. Not being able to strafe while running was kind of a turn off as well.

The only saving grace to this games mulitplayer is hardcore mode. The bullet damage is pretty spot on. However you have to give up your entire HUD, including map and crosshairs. This brought up some other problems since some guns do not have iron sights, such as the tracer dart gun. If HC was the same plus a crosshair it would be a very nice multiplayer game.

Taking away a crosshair only encourages screen marking with a non permanent marker or very small piece of electrical tape. At least for any "hardcore" FPS player anyways. It doesn't really add anything to the gameplay.

I have high hopes for the game, especially since I had to buy the game in full to get the beta on Steam :(. The release game better impress me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Damage is pretty high on the PS3. Practically one shot kill, but feels about right. Overall I liked it. Sound and graphics are both great. I was reading the review in PToM and they said there are things they like better about Bad Company II better than MW2 online. I like the gameplay of BCII.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Started playing yesterday and tought that game was pretty cool. The demo is well done and give you a good look at what the real game will look like. It's gonna be sick!

The video quality is not that good, but I guess it's normal since it's a demo.

OTOH, the audio is balistic! Crispy, punchy, LOUD! The dynamic range is well used. Bullets that fly by your head are so real that can make you jump of your seat!

Video Quality: 3.00*
Audio Quality: 4.50*
The Game Itself: 4.00*
Are you running this on PC or console?

Because to me the graphics are stellar as I have tried the game on my 28" Monitor in my office and my 50" plasma in the basement and both looks very good.

I would agree that the audio is fantastic and its what really set this game apart from the rest of the "good" FPS's. I noticed the audio right away. It actually makes the game easier and more enjoyable to play on a surround sound system as it is so well done that you can actually hear people running around you.

@Shock

You didn't have to buy the game. You could have joined the open beta on gamestop or gotten a key at another site for free. Thats what I did. I'm still reserving judgment on whether or not I will buy it. I would agree that the damage is not quite enough yet. Also the BF games have always been "arcadey", and so is CSS, if you want a real sim go play ARMA or ARMA-2.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
Are you running this on PC or console?

Because to me the graphics are stellar as I have tried the game on my 28" Monitor in my office and my 50" plasma in the basement and both looks very good.

I would agree that the audio is fantastic and its what really set this game apart from the rest of the "good" FPS's. I noticed the audio right away. It actually makes the game easier and more enjoyable to play on a surround sound system as it is so well done that you can actually hear people running around you.
I play on PS3. I find the graphic from MW2 are way cleaner. But since it's only a demo, I'll have to wait till the release date to judge.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I play on PS3. I find the graphic from MW2 are way cleaner. But since it's only a demo, I'll have to wait till the release date to judge.
I play MW2 on PC as well and this looks better than MW2 on PC. I haven't seen either on a console yet though. Do consolers get access to the beta? Or is it only a demo that you get?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I play MW2 on PC as well and this looks better than MW2 on PC. I haven't seen either on a console yet though. Do consolers get access to the beta? Or is it only a demo that you get?
It is a demo that gives access to limited areas and no single player.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
@Shock

You didn't have to buy the game. You could have joined the open beta on gamestop or gotten a key at another site for free. Thats what I did. I'm still reserving judgment on whether or not I will buy it. I would agree that the damage is not quite enough yet. Also the BF games have always been "arcadey", and so is CSS, if you want a real sim go play ARMA or ARMA-2.
I know, a bunch of people I know bought it, and I haven't bought a game since WoW really. The concept of the game is good, and I like how it is really important to work as a team, just as it was in CS.

However I couldn't disagree with you more about CS:S. It's not that it's arcadey, it's that true sim games are really really boring. CS was designed to be a truly balanced FPS, and that's what they achieved. Far more effectively that any FPS since.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I know, a bunch of people I know bought it, and I haven't bought a game since WoW really. The concept of the game is good, and I like how it is really important to work as a team, just as it was in CS.

However I couldn't disagree with you more about CS:S. It's not that it's arcadey, it's that true sim games are really really boring. CS was designed to be a truly balanced FPS, and that's what they achieved. Far more effectively that any FPS since.
Yeah I would certainly say that sim games are really boring. I tried to get into Arma II and it was cool at first but all the BS rules on the servers and the rank system drove me away....you have to play a ridiculous amount to rank up, and you can;t use any vehicles and sometimes weapons before you have a certain rank.....its a good idea to a degree as it keeps the noobs from stealing the aircraft only to crash it 30 seconds later.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
its a good idea to a degree as it keeps the noobs from stealing the aircraft only to crash it 30 seconds later.
Hah, oh man. I tried flying the helicopter one time in BC2, I will never attempt to fly it again until I get some actual practice on it.

I've never owned a game that requires you to rank up before you unlock certain weapons until this one. I'm glad it's not as bad as you're saying Arma II is. Although one thing I've noticed is that the unlocks in BC2 are significantly better as you unlock more and more things. Where this can be a nice addition and offer replay value, it also is detrimental to new players. The initial guns aren't terrible by any means, and infact it's really only the perks that make you better, but it would be nice to have everyone on an even playing field. I unlocked the red dot only to revert back to the plain iron sights because they offer a larger field of view.

All of this talk makes me wish I wasn't stuck on this laptop from 1990 for the next few days.

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
I don't know about you but I've experience some serious lag since a week or so (on the PS3 demo). I did check my internet connection and everything is in the green.

I'm I the only one?

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Anyone here has it now? Not the demo. How is it compare to MW2. Im waiting for a fellow Audioholic review before I buy it.;)

jeanseb

jeanseb

Audioholic
That is just what I needed. I'm not a noob anymore ;)

BTW I find the game really entertaining. You really feel in the middle of a combat ground (with less adrenaline and pain). The sound is 5x better than in MWII and there is much more lattitude on what you can do with your caracter too (except for prone).

Cool game! Get your copy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I have the full game for PS3... and have beaten the single player already... is not too bad, short and sweet, similar to MW2 in that is it US vs Russia... etc... but the end of the single player sets up the multiplayer... in that Russia is invading the US through Alaska... and also, being a Texan... I like all of the Texas references in the game... especially the end cutscene :).

But on another note, did anyone notice that it states both DD and DTS on the game box... however, there are no options to choose which in the game settings... (ala Uncharted 2) I like the dynamic sounds in the game, and the way that sounds are portrayed in the game world... however the explosions do not seem as potent as they are in MW2... everything else is better... it just seems to have a weaker low end... maybe its just me...

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
I have the full game for PS3... and have beaten the single player already... is not too bad, short and sweet, similar to MW2 in that is it US vs Russia... etc... but the end of the single player sets up the multiplayer... in that Russia is invading the US through Alaska... and also, being a Texan... I like all of the Texas references in the game... especially the end cutscene :).

But on another note, did anyone notice that it states both DD and DTS on the game box... however, there are no options to choose which in the game settings... (ala Uncharted 2) I like the dynamic sounds in the game, and the way that sounds are portrayed in the game world... however the explosions do not seem as potent as they are in MW2... everything else is better... it just seems to have a weaker low end... maybe its just me...
It MUST be just you. This games audio is leagues ahead of any other game I have ever heard.

Make sure you have the audio set to "War Tapes" as this is the lossless uncompressed setting.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Ok, will check that, I think I have it currently set to Home Cinema... and then Direct input on my AVR.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis