A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Just curious. &nbsp;I am about to buy my first DVD-Audio player not universal though) and it may not have internal bass management feature. &nbsp;All the speakjers are full-ranges but I would like to still use my sub for multi-channel audio. &nbsp;My preamp, however does bass management minimally, that is it allows 5.1 analog input with independent level controls and time delay among channels. &nbsp;I am curious if DVD-As have an LFE channel so that my preamp can control the bass frequencies. &nbsp;Thanks.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Not sure about the need for bass management, but you will have six outputs for multi-channel audio. r,l,sr,sl,c,& sub!</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
I recently discovered that not all DVD-As are encoded in 5.1, many are in 5.0, thus no LFE channel, evidenced by my subwoofer that has no activity.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
av_phile you are correct. In fact, many DVD-A discs (IE. Toy Matinee) and SACD discs (Norah Jones) are mixed for 6.0 or 6 full range channels where the 6th channel is an overhead channel. If you don't apply bass management to this channel and have it connected to a sub, you will be in for a surprise :)

This is one of the major issues remaining with these formats. IMO multichannel DVD-A/SACD are NOT always compatible with traditional 5.1 setups. Eventually I may write an article about this to make it more publicaly known.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Gene, what are you saying exactly? I have the Nora Jones disk, I will here something different if I let the sub play full out with no bass management on? Turn it off at the DVD player? What will I hear different? Is that enough questions for one post? :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis