Bass Management question - my observation has been shared

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
Hi Experts,

Need your help in setting up Bass Management for my Home Theater setup. I have seen/read Gene and all other experts talking/writing regarding bass management. I understand that I should set my towers as Small and set crossover frequency appropriate. I know this much and I have been using this way.

First here's my current setup. Klipsch RP-8000F fronts, RP-504C Center, Klipsch SA-140 front Dolby, Paradigm Surround 3 as surrounds, Sonance in walls as rear height speakers, Paradigm PDR-100 Sub and Denon X-3700h receiver. I have used Paradigm Monitor v9 for long time and recently retired them and bought Klipsch (for a change). Please note that my Sub is a small sub (27hz - 120hz), it cant go down to 20 as suggested for home theaters. (Will buy SVS PB-2000 Pro soon!). My fronts has frequency response 32hz-20k hz.

Last weekend, I played with my home theater system tweaking bass settings, I have downloaded 5hz to 100hz Flac bass test sound file from THX site and tested. Here are my findings.
1. My fronts are set to Small , crossover set at 40hz, Bass setting LFE - I couldnt hear bass until 5 seconds into the sound test file (it increments by 5 hz)
2. My fronts are set to Large, Bass setting LFE. - its perfect, I hear bass from start of this clip. I observed when I'm listening some old tracks and other music, I lost bass effect.
3. My fronts are set to Large, Bass setting LFE+Main - its perfect again, I heard bass from start of this clip. I observed when I'm listening some old tracks and other music, I hear bass, seems this is perfect for my setup.

Based on my observation, I have following questions.
1. In case 1, I lost bass effect because of my small sub? (if you see specs, my sub starts at 27hz whereas RP-8000f at 32hz)
2. I left my fronts as Large, Bass setting to LFE+Main as I felt this is perfect for both music and movies for my current setup, is this okay to use like this?

Please shower some knowledge and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could be several things. What make/model of sub? How did you choose location and where is it? Room dimensions?

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
Paradigm PDR-100, 20x15ft room.
I didnt feel bass when my fronts are set as small , when I changed to Large I was able to hear it(I maintained same volume level and I tested it several times to make sure). I'm wondering 32hz rated RP-8000F can go lower than 27hz rated Sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It could be placement of sub to an extent as far as potential cancellations going on as well. Did you do a sub crawl....or how did you choose location?

Checking the spec it seems that your speakers may even have the edge in that I see a DIN rating of 29Hz for the Paradigm, which Paradigm defines as the f3 in a typical room (different than traditional measurements like done here or data-bass.com).

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
It could be placement of sub to an extent as far as potential cancellations going on as well. Did you do a sub crawl....or how did you choose location?

Checking the spec it seems that your speakers may even have the edge in that I see a DIN rating of 29Hz for the Paradigm, which Paradigm defines as the f3 in a typical room (different than traditional measurements like done here or data-bass.com).
Thank you, I did subwoofer crawl placed my sub where I'm getting best bass. Oh I didn't know about Paradigm typical measurement.

Here are questions I have.
1. In case 1, I lost bass effect because of my small sub? (if you see specs, my sub starts at 29hz whereas RP-8000f at 32hz)
2. I left my fronts as Large, Bass setting to LFE+Main as I felt this is perfect for both music and movies for my current setup, is this okay to use like this?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you, I did subwoofer crawl placed my sub where I'm getting best bass. Oh I didn't know about Paradigm typical measurement.

Here are questions I have.
1. In case 1, I lost bass effect because of my small sub? (if you see specs, my sub starts at 29hz whereas RP-8000f at 32hz)
Your speakers nor sub "start" at those frequencies, it's just an f3 (the -3dB point) and exaggerated a bit with the Paradigm (and probably Klipsch, they use in room for sensitivity figures and possibly bass response as well). It's a relatively small sub. Have you tried flipping the phase on the sub to see if response improves? Some simply like the duplication of bass frequency overlap that the LFE+Main setting with full range speakers provides.....it's just personal preference so go for it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis