Bass Management Basics – Settings Made Simple

D

dewey9876

Audiophyte
Wow this is a great thread. I have denon 2807 and paradigm studio 100 fronts cc-3xx for center, older Boston accouostic surrounds. One paradigm sub and one Klipche sub. I had run the autessey setup and it set my front and center speakers as large so I changed them to small and adjusted crossover to 80hz.... Wow!!!!! its like I have a new system, everything sounds better especially the bass so much tighter and more defined. :D

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
Subs need x/over set correctly

I noticed on my 7.2 setup set at 80hz the front spkrs were outputing nice bass passages on Ramble on,led zep 2 remastered and the subs were playing it also, result was overdone bass,therefore i set the velodyne vx-10 too about 75hz and it was subdued but playing weakly,there im trying to get a seemless transition from front spkrs and sub without a hole in the bass spectrum!
The nad reciever should have the subs comming in perfectly i thought but wasnt!
x/over needs tweaking only by listening so now its much better on that disc and should be fine on all material!
A few test cd,s should help but only with bass notes around 70-80hz !
I have too find a good disc,Fleetwood Mac might be good!

Steve Millers bass playing in A major scale wont work for this! I just dont want the subs comming in early but not late either! No but TULL living in the past is up and down on the bass parts,ok im close ,well thats how im finding the sweet spot and then volume at half way up is close! Im trying here,its trail and error!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I noticed on my 7.2 setup set at 80hz the front spkrs were outputing nice bass passages on Ramble on,led zep 2 remastered and the subs were playing it also, result was overdone bass,therefore i set the velodyne vx-10 too about 75hz and it was subdued but playing weakly,there im trying to get a seemless transition from front spkrs and sub without a hole in the bass spectrum!
The nad reciever should have the subs comming in perfectly i thought but wasnt!
x/over needs tweaking only by listening so now its much better on that disc and should be fine on all material!
A few test cd,s should help but only with bass notes around 70-80hz !
I have too find a good disc,Fleetwood Mac might be good!

Steve Millers bass playing in A major scale wont work for this! I just dont want the subs comming in early but not late either! No but TULL living in the past is up and down on the bass parts,ok im close ,well thats how im finding the sweet spot and then volume at half way up is close! Im trying here,its trail and error!
How are you setting up 2 subs? Does your AVR have 2 sub outs?

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
yes i have too sub outputs

I have the nad t765 and the bass resolved is awesome,but i had too much bass really,but once i set all spkrs to 80hz the subs i noticed the velodyne was overlapping and needed to be adjusted by its own x/over to about 75hz,the sub gets stronger and louder when the front pair drop off !
Dont think your spkrs wont get the bass set to 80hz x/over,theres plenty there!
Im just trying not too allow a bass rolloff on the front and the subs come in late and weakly leaving a hole or a uneven responce,ramble on led zep 2 remastered does hit these bass frequenceys above and below 80hz nicely!
The volume then is tricky because bass extends and travels the house without dissapating ,so i have roommates too u know!
My 2yr old 7.1 thx certified receiver only had one sub out put and i used a rca splitter there and velodyne recommended another splitter on the l&r sub input to drive both channels!
That receiver didnt resolve music at all compared to the nad receiver,i boxed it up for back up! So im using one rca cable to each sub but using splitter there !
I have a lg jbl 10" sub i might have a little trouble with,the sub has a x/over only showing 150hz-90hz on the knob,but i havent tweeked it except for volume! That sub really can get deep with doors moving doing dvds movies!
Let the good vibes roll ! Bandphan what are twins comming? Whats the abyss like?

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I have the nad t765 and the bass resolved is awesome,but i had too much bass really,but once i set all spkrs to 80hz the subs i noticed the velodyne was overlapping and needed to be adjusted by its own x/over to about 75hz,the sub gets stronger and louder when the front pair drop off !
Dont think your spkrs wont get the bass set to 80hz x/over,theres plenty there!
Im just trying not too allow a bass rolloff on the front and the subs come in late and weakly leaving a hole or a uneven responce,ramble on led zep 2 remastered does hit these bass frequenceys above and below 80hz nicely!
The volume then is tricky because bass extends and travels the house without dissapating ,so i have roommates too u know!
My 2yr old 7.1 thx certified receiver only had one sub out put and i used a rca splitter there and velodyne recommended another splitter on the l&r sub input to drive both channels!
That receiver didnt resolve music at all compared to the nad receiver,i boxed it up for back up! So im using one rca cable to each sub but using splitter there !
I have a lg jbl 10" sub i might have a little trouble with,the sub has a x/over only showing 150hz-90hz on the knob,but i havent tweeked it except for volume! That sub really can get deep with doors moving doing dvds movies!
Let the good vibes roll ! Bandphan what are twins comming? Whats the abyss like?
The abyss is great for music and pretty good for ht with in room response down to 19hz with usable output. I pefer the velodyne over the abyss all around. 2 Descents are the twins comming in lieu of some back pay that was owed to me. :D

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
What instrument lives at 19hz street

Well your talking tectonic plate slippage 60 miles below the subduction zone so your needing some super-natural room treatment and magnetic drink holders and sand bag ash trays there!
Maybe a pipe organ can get down pretty low but whew,i belive a open E on a electric bass gets down to 42hz ?
Well you have a really fine assortment of speakers i day dream about daily,martin logans, i cant even hear them around this town,maybe va.beach or norfolk a dealer there?
The sparse ability of my subs is hardly worth mentioning , even so im trying too better aquaint myself with there overall sound, above the infernal regions yours reach too!
The older jbl psw1000 10" cabinet is only halfway up on volume and is quite smooth and yet forceful on ht,and it gets too 30hz but the cheaper and smaller cabinet velo vx-10 10"spkr is more defined and tighter and tuned differently due to the size,i have room mates so im adjusting them on weekends! I have a 5 week old Nad t765 that makes meager spkrs awesome and the bass is stunning and musical and way good on the subs!
Oops i didnt no what Decsents are,sorry,but if youve run out of room for anyreason i could make room around here! Im Jimmy, see were friends allready! I could hold on to the abyss since your liking the velo,and you can then strenghten up your structure with trusses before Jurrasic park 8 comes out in 2012! luv too hear that thing! what velo model do you have?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The descents are logans. And yes pipe organs go low. The only reason I would want low is for lfe in soundtracks hence the musical comment on the abyss

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
ok u have 2 too many

I swear you allready have logans allready 2 pair i belive,jez, ive never even heard anything that good yet!
My jbl sub shakes my bathroom door at the length of the house on dvd sound and its not cranked either,its only 100watt, now ive added the velodyne but i restrain them for room mates,luckily i have avps so i can chose sound setup presets!
#1 is bass heavy #2 is set for cd music bass is +4db,#3 is bass weaker than either 1&2
Your subs tuning dictated by space or did you try several areas?
Im going too put the rear firing velo in the corner area and put the front firing jbl were the velo was, then see what gives,the corner might give the rear port on the velo a better tuning !
Truth is, that corner gives the jbl sub a great throw and i want the tighter sounding velo a chance too see what shes got! Aim the port reflecting off the wall or spkr im not sure!
The jbl had it going deep over there,im going too try that now!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I use REW to measure my room and apply the needed filters to the dcx2496 to handle the intergration.

C

cjsxv2

Audiophyte
Set Up Help

Figured this would be the best place to post my questions.
I have 7.1 system consisting of: Yamaha 3800, Fronts/Rears/Surrounds - Paradigm 100s v2 (All 6 speakers are 100s), Center - Paradigm CC-690 v4, Sub - Def Tech Trinity.

I am having problems setting up the crossover points. I simply allowed the receivers auto setp to calibrate everything in the past but lately Ive been jacking around with it and Im curious what everyones opinion is. All the speakers are set to lrge.... I run LFE to the sub and have it crossed over on the receiver at 60hz. Ive messed with the receiver settings some, and I believe Ive set each channel's crossover to 60hz, matching the sub crossover on the receiver.
So my questions are: a)should I set my speakers to small, b) what should I set the crossover on the receiver to and what should the crossover on the sub itself be set to or does it matter as Im running LFE and c) Does setting the speakers to 60hz on the Yamaha 3800 actually mean Im setting the speakers crossover at 60hz?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
a) Set all to small
b) Set receiver to 80 Hz, sub x-over doesn't matter using LFE input since it's bypassed.
c) Yes, if speakers are set to small. The x-over point only affects the speakers set to small. If set to large, the speakers receive the full frequency spectrum.

C

cjsxv2

Audiophyte
Since I currently have the speakers set to lrg, that means theyre running full range. So then where does the lower frequency bass go to that the speakers cant handle. For the 100s I believe they go down to 38hz..... so does that mean anything below that the sub gets, or anything below that just doesnt get heard? How does the receiver determine what to send to the sub and only the sub, if the speakers are set to full range(large)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If the speakers can't produce the frequency at a hearable level you won't hear it. With all speakers set to large, the only signal the sub produces is the discrete LFE siignal.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
X/OVER 80hz does wonders

I was advised to set all small and 80hz,whew what a difference,it came alive,i did have too adjust the sub x/over too 75hz because it was over lapping the front spkrs bass right at 80hz too exsenuated ,now the bass sub comes in evenly as the fronts fade out,a smooth transition is happening now!
Ive heard wierd stuff happens on x/over when used on subs and receivers,but it was perfect on mine!!! Usual setup is the receiver does the x/over with subs x/over set to max about 150hz!
GOOD LUCK, JAMS

N

nate88818

Audiophyte
Help With Mirage OM-8's and Denon AVR-4806ci

My setup:

Mirage:
Mains - OM-8 28Hz-22kHz
Center - OM-C2 38Hz-22kHz
Surrounds - OM-R2 80Hz-kHz
sub - OM-200

Denon 4806ci

As of now I have all set to small THX 80hz crossover, my question is about the OM-8's
They have powered subs in them, should I be setting these to large?

Thanks

maclick

maclick

Audiophyte
Great read, my Tannoy's have a Frequency response of - 6dB, so should I put my crossover setting at 120hz?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Help With Mirage OM-8's and Denon AVR-4806ci

My setup:

Mirage:
Mains - OM-8 28Hz-22kHz
Center - OM-C2 38Hz-22kHz
Surrounds - OM-R2 80Hz-kHz
sub - OM-200

Denon 4806ci

As of now I have all set to small THX 80hz crossover, my question is about the OM-8's
They have powered subs in them, should I be setting these to large?

Thanks
I would leave the sub off try your mains see how bass sounds with the .1 LFE track info going to the Mains at a listening level you prefer. Set receiver .1 LFE crossover to 45 hz. Pay attention to the how the cabinet responds to the .1 LFE effects. If they sound boomy and sloppy then change to 55 hz increasing by 1/2 an octave (1 octave is 20 hz) then once you have tried a few movies you are familiar with switch increase them to 65 hz and bring the sub crossover to 55-60 hz and adjust the .1LFE receiver crossover point to 55-60 hz and listen to the same scenes and see how different the bass volume and tightness is at the same volume. Make sure you have all bass, treble, speaker gains in the receiver or sub at zero when testing the mains then the sub. You don't want to
Muddy the results with gains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
It is usually pretty safe to say that any powered, purpose build subwoofer will outperform any full range speaker below 50-60 Hz. By setting your mains to "small" it takes a lot of stress off of them so they can focus on what they do best, which is the mids and highs.

If your mains are authoritative below 50 Hz, more so than your subwoofer, you have a bit of an imbalance in your overall setup and should find a subwoofer that will be able to keep up with your mains.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis