Bass Management Basics – Settings Made Simple

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Only HK offers receivers that can have individual xover settings for each channel. Most all others use one global setting that applies to all channels.

Given that bass management is one topic that is rehashed over and over, I would say that not too many people really understand it. Being able to set individual xovers for each channel adds alot of flexibility but is even harder to get each setting correct for the perfect blend with the sub. Secrets had a good article explaining why if you want to look for it: http://www.hometheaterhificom.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Seems to m,e having a x over for fronts,center and surrounds would make it much easier to dial in.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
shokhead said:
Seems to m,e having a x over for fronts,center and surrounds would make it much easier to dial in.
You still don't quite understand the ramifications of Small vs Large and how LFE is routed with the Main, Sub, or Both settings found on receivers, so how are you going to deal with multiple xovers?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
hi, I can't locate the article you mentioned. I assumed (I know assume = *** out of u and me) that the receiver would be able to send the sub and speakers the correct signal as necessary. By that I mean if the center is cut off at 80 hz everything below that is sent to the sub, and if the others are crossed at 70hz everything below that would go to the subs. What am I missing. Shouldn't the speakers be used to cover the frequencies that they are capable of. I have tested and found no gaps between where the speakers end and the sub begins. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I'm not being sarcastic. One caveat though, you should know that scientific terminology makes it in one ear only on the way out the other.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Anonymous said:
You still don't quite understand the ramifications of Small vs Large and how LFE is routed with the Main, Sub, or Both settings found on receivers, so how are you going to deal with multiple xovers?

Well lets see. My mains are rated down to 47Hz so i would start at 60Hz x over for those. Center is 70Hz so maybe 80 for those and the surrounds are 60 so maybe 70-80 for those. That was easy.

T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
Question About how Movie's Are Mastered

Beyond my scope of knowledge in this discussion is how movie's are mastered and how the digital signal is actually processed. If each channel is mastered seperately for example, is a THX certified movie mastered so that:
L, R, and C Channel Info=80hz-20Khz
R,L Surround=100hz-20Khz
Sub.=20-80hz or so.

If this is the case and I set a crossover point at 60Hz in the reciever...Does the recievers crossover happen post D/A conversion and appropriately reroute that information. Or is it possible for the HT Mix to cause me to lose the information from 60Hz to 80Hz. This is purely conjecturing based on my lack of understanding of where in the stream this processing takes place. Thank you for any enlightenment. Only my second post so Let me know if this was clear or I'm simply missing a few octaves in my thinking...Thanks :confused:

Editing this kind of answered my own question with some more research though any additional info would be great...appears that it must be post D/A conversion to work right for redirecting particularly the surrounds. Interesting article on mixing 5.1 here:
Older but some good info if you really want to get into it.

http://mixonline.com/internet/newformats/audio_mastering_dvd/

Last edited:
O

oscarhen

Audiophyte
Hi really need help with my sub and receiver configuration

Hi guys, I´m really having troubles trying to configure my receiver because I can get a really good sub sound. I have new Wharfedale MovieStar 60 + speakers and sub, and a SONY STR - DE875 Receiver. I read the article and set my speakers to SMALL, with sub "ON", but, for example, when I play my PlayStation 2 games ( I have the optical conection) I just don´t get good quality sub sound, but when I play a Movie in 5.1 it´s sounds great. Can you explain me the dB stuff please? Thanks. Great forum!!!!

T

The Nerdly Guy

Banned
I've found that (url removed) has a few good beginners guides to help explain all this stuff. I found them a few months ago, and have been impressed ever since. Go check them out and see what you can find.

Edit: 5 posts, 5 links to your website. Nice try. - Admin

vierling

vierling

Enthusiast
X Over Points

You could work with a 100 Hz. Low Pass Filter,
a single 100 Hz. sound wave is like 3.44 meter, so, You would probably not feel any difference from the direct sound from the speakers and the reflected sound from the walls. So, it´s better to obtain the freq´s thet the speaker can handle pure and direct to the listener, and let the subwoofer work the other part.
Remember that the low freq´s will be cancelled ( most of the time, and depending the distance between sources ) in the center, Your position...
So, it´s better to have just one source for the low freq´s.
Yoo could even try the LPF @ 120 Hz, and hear what happens, remember that You are the one there, so dont be affraid to do some research, and a lot of experiments.

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
My new home theater was framed out and set up in my basement. The seperate room is 10 X 20 and the room is basically air tight. No windows, 2 solid core doors (1 1/2 inches thick each), and each door has a 3/4 inch door of MDF glued and screwed to it, with a layer of green glue sandwiched in between. (these doors weigh like 200 pounds each, and the whole house shakes upstairs when someone even slams one of these doors the slightest bit!) Anyway, the ceiling is only 6 feet 9 inches fom the floor, and is constructed of 2, 1/2 inch pieces of sheetrock screwed together with a layer of green glue in between. All of the walls are basically the same as the ceiling. There are 6 recessed light cans installed in the ceiling. (short cans because of height resrtictions) The floor is brand new wall to wall carpet and its decently thick with a layer of foam underneath it, and it all sits on top of a concrete slab. My sub sits in the rear left corner of the room, and the bass seems pretty good overall, but something tells me it could be better and a bit "Tighter". Do I need BASS TRAPS? (Room is only 10 X 20) Also, the sub must stay where it is. Putting it up front would cause way too much traffic up there, and really throw off everything. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, but it's true. Now the issue of the X overs. My Onkyo TX SR875 lets me set each speakers Xover individually. I have Tannoy Sensys DC 2's as my front L & R's with crossover set to 80 and the front center is a Tannoy Arena highline 500C set at 90. The L & R side surrounds are Tannoy Arena Sattelites set to 90, and the rear L & R's are Tannoy Arena Highline 500 Sattelites set to 90. I use an Aperion Audio Intimus S-12 with it's output set to about half (way too much). I have the individual crossover setting on the back of the sub set to it's max and the phase is set to -o-. I think I missed something in my set up. Any suggestions? Also, can I, or should I set the db levels on the side surrounds to something that will make them a little more noticeable to hear? Right now, it's as if they are for aesthetics only' Have to get right up on them to hear something. I'm confused. (Hell, I spent $700 for 2 very nice looking pieces of art that LOOK like very good speakers too...) The rears are a bit faint too, but I expected that, right?
Any help?? Thanks! Joe B.
:confused:

P

petty77

Enthusiast
subwoofer built into front and center spearks

I have a pair of Definitive Technology 2007 for fronts and a 2500 for center. All of built in subs. What should I set them as large or small? My receiver will let me set the cross over. What should it be at or not be at?

thanks

Matt34

Matt34

I have a pair of Definitive Technology 2007 for fronts and a 2500 for center. All of built in subs. What should I set them as large or small? My receiver will let me set the cross over. What should it be at or not be at?

thanks
Run the subs of your towers thru the sub out on your receiver and set the X-over at 80hz.

P

petty77

Enthusiast
I only have one sub out and have 2 speakers, do I need to split the sub connection some how

thanks

P

petty77

Enthusiast
On my receiver I have one subwoofer out then another on multchannels sub out can I use the mutlichannels

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
On my receiver I have one subwoofer out then another on multchannels sub out can I use the mutlichannels
That's probably m-ch in not out. Split the sub preout with a Y-adapter cable.

S

squizy

Audiophyte
x overs

hello
just been reading Bass Management Basics to help set up my new upgraded system
having a little trouble understanding about hz and stuff
my new 5.2 system is as follows
polk rti a7 front floor standers
polk rti a5 rears floor standers
polk csi a4 center
2 x klipsch sub 12 subwoofers
sony str-da5300es receive/panasonic bd30 blueray player
have reset all speakers to small but not shaw what to set the x overs at

im only new to this site so bear with me
have some idea but just looking for a starting point so any help would be cool
thanks squiz

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
have reset all speakers to small but not shaw what to set the x overs at
im only new to this site so bear with me
have some idea but just looking for a starting point so any help would be cool
Start at 80Hz for your x over point. Level match your speakers and listen to great sounding music while seaching out and reading the volumes of articles and posts supporting those two suggestions.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis