Basic Subwoofer Setup Guide NOT for Dummies

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Anytime I see a book on a complex topic that attempts to disseminate the subject material in layman terms for the average reader using the word Dummies in the title, I cringe. I'd love to learn a foreign language or how to setup a complex home network but I absolutely refuse to pick up a book whose author assumes I am a dummy. Realizing a large portion of our readership are essential enthusiasts when it comes to home theater, but also intelligent readers, I conjured up this article for those wanting to get a good grip on how to properly setup and integrate a subwoofer into their new home theater system. Learn how to place and configure your sub and A/V receiver in layman's terms to ensure you get the most out of your A/V system.

Discuss "Basic Subwoofer Setup Guide NOT for Dummies" here. Read the article.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
Great post... Just in one quick scan, I picked up a good tip (about "setting the crossover to its maximum setting").

I'm pretty sure mine's not, and I'm also pretty sure by bass is too intense as a result.

Thanks.

A

Alain Singapore

Audioholic Intern
May I share my own experience with subwoofers:
- get 2 (or more) smalls sub instead of a big one, they will be easier to place, are more WAF compliant and will distribute bass more evenly in your targetted listening area with less need to use EQ if at all.
- subs that combine high level and low level input are bliss (REL, BK Electronics, ...). You extend the low end of your main speaker for HiFi and have full LFE outpout on multichannel with flexible configuration.
- lower the gain, we tend to set it too high
- test with different xover frequences until you get the right mix for your speaker and your room
- get a sub with a phase that can be adjusted precisely and works effectively. This is important to match your front speaker.
- if you buy new sub, take the time to run them in. They are stiff and need some workout before they can deliver their best.
- when adjusted properly, a pair of subs is something you cannot live without in 2 channel stereo... unless you have monster speakers.

My current setup: Tannoy Revolution Signature (DC6Tx2, DC6LCRx1, DC6x2), BK Electronix XLS200DF MkII (x2), NAD T785, Oppo BDP 83 NE, Project Expression MkII + Ortofon OM10 + Cambridge 640P
Owned subwoofers: JBL HT1S (12' passive in a huge ported enclosure), Velodyne CHT10R now used in the kitchen!

krabapple

krabapple

Banned
Great post... Just in one quick scan, I picked up a good tip (about "setting the crossover to its maximum setting").

I'm pretty sure mine's not, and I'm also pretty sure by bass is too intense as a result.

Thanks.
I would expect setting the sub crossover too low would *reduce* bass intensity, not augment it.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I would expect setting the sub crossover too low would *reduce* bass intensity, not augment it.
I believe the article says to, on your subwoofer, set the xover at its highest possible point, and then use the bass management system in your AVR or pre/pro to handle the crossover duties.

I did a few things described in this article (that was one of them), and I also lowered the crossover point on my AVR from 80 Hz to 50 Hz (it was the next lowest setting).

And I set all my speakers to small.

It made a huge difference (well, to me it did).

M

mlibbey

Audiophyte
how to connect 2 subwoofers

Seems like a lot of the articles on the site talk about having 2 subs. But, most of the receivers reviewed/recommended seem to only have 1 sub output. For instance, the Yamaha RX-Z7 is the 2011 $3500 system recommended receiver, appears to only has 1. Is there something I'm missing?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Seems like a lot of the articles on the site talk about having 2 subs. But, most of the receivers reviewed/recommended seem to only have 1 sub output. For instance, the Yamaha RX-Z7 is the 2011 $3500 system recommended receiver, appears to only has 1. Is there something I'm missing?
Newer receivers are 7.2 or you can use a Y splitter with an older receiver. Keep in mind that with most 7.2 receivers the two subwoofer jacks receive an identical signal and you'll have to manually balance the output from the two subs using a sound pressure meter.

There are a few high end receivers (for example those with Audyssey MultiEQ XT32) have the ability to automatically configure the two subwoofer channels independently.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Good reminders in this article. My only issue is that i keep reading that the subs be set to 75dB to match the speakers. To me that is way to high. All my auto calibration systems that ive owned have set the subs a bit lower & to me thats even a lot of bass. Im thinking its just my personal prefference.

Just wanted to mention that Yamaha's top 2 Aventage AVRs also have independant subwoofer calibration. YPAO sets dual subs up & sets a PEQ for each then you can manually adjust each as desired in the ManualPEQ mode. Both Denon & Yamaha have really done a wonderful job of having that feature in their calibration systems!

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
2 sub question

when 2 identical powered subs are used,does the gain have to be the same on each ? or can they be a little different ?

C

camf33

Audiophyte
More bass management!

First of all I would like to thank the audio experts in this thread helping others - time is valuable and I appreciate that!
I read the bass management article in here and indeed it was so easy to folow yet NOT dummy-headed as the author described. Now, my question is simple.
If we are going to let the AV receiver manage the bass internally, What do we do we do with the control knob on the front of the receiver? It is usually marked as Tone, and typically only adjusts bass or treble. That part confuses me because my receiver has the bass volume digitally and with the physical buttons well. Which one to adjust? Or which one to leave alone?

Thanks for helping novices!

D

dgkirkman

Enthusiast
when 2 identical powered subs are used,does the gain have to be the same on each ? or can they be a little different ?
they can b different due to sound pref. just bcuz they r identical subs doesnt mean they r going to produce the same spl at the same gain # on the dial.to truly dial them in is to use a sound level meter n tone disc.

D

drivinscool

Audiophyte
Unwanted Subwoofer noise from AVR?

Hi, I've had a problem with subwoofer noise from my receiver, a brand new Denon avr-x4000.

I have a pair of subwoofers driven by a behringer EP2500, the behringer is connected directly to the pair of RCA subwoofer outs on the receiver so there is no physical in-line crossover or LPF. (which I know might solve the issue, but It's still an issue I'd like to know more about)

There is an audible noise coming from the actual sub drivers, but not a hum, it's hard to describe but I'd say it's like a dull electrical crackle, a bit like the test tone rumble but not in the bass frequency range.

It's not loud but it does increase with the receiver volume so I think it's the receiver which is causing the noise, when a silent section between two songs occurs I can hear it quite clearly at med-high volume.

Does anyone have any clue what this noise could be caused by?

It's not present on the main powered speakers, just the subs and it's much more evident on one of the subwoofer outputs than the other (I did some cable swapping)

I've made a short recording of the noise, I was testing on optical input and I've noticed if I unplug the Optical cable (fed from PC sound card) the sound goes away for a few seconds but then after 3-4 seconds the amp detects a change, makes the relay 'click' and the funny sound comes back but twice as loud!

For control, this was done with a different amplifier and speaker but from the same "Subwoofer 1" output (which is the noisiest of the two)

20131109_155912.mp4 - YouTube

I used an old BK elec MF 300 amplifier and Tannoy speaker to eliminate the behringer/subs being the issue.
The results are identical on both set-ups.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Does that sound occur even if nothing other than the subs are connected. Meaning, unplug all other cables to see if the interference is origination from a noisy source or receiver pre-amp. If latter, return it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis