Basic Setup Question

M

MikeVF

Audiophyte
I'm new to this forum and new to home theater systems. I've bought the following; a JVC 52" D-ILA tv, a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver and a Sony universal DVD player. The tv and the dvd player have HDMI ports. Having read all three owner's manuals, I'm more confused than ever as far as connections are concerned. What lines should be hooked up from one component to the other? I can't tell from the manuals whether one set of connections take the place of others or compliment each other. The HDMI connections have me totally confused even though I thought they would make the setup easy. Any help is appreciated.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
MikeVF said:
I'm new to this forum and new to home theater systems. I've bought the following; a JVC 52" D-ILA tv, a Yamaha RX-V1500 receiver and a Sony universal DVD player. The tv and the dvd player have HDMI ports. Having read all three owner's manuals, I'm more confused than ever as far as connections are concerned. What lines should be hooked up from one component to the other? I can't tell from the manuals whether one set of connections take the place of others or compliment each other. The HDMI connections have me totally confused even though I thought they would make the setup easy. Any help is appreciated.
Try this:

Take the HDMI from the DVD to the TV, this will give you the best picture. You will then want to take the digital out from the DVD player (either digital coax or toslink (AKA optical)) to the receiver for the sound processing. Also remember to tell the receiver that you are using the digital inputs and which one it is going to, it should tell you in the manual.

Good luck and I hope this helps :D

PS...welcome to Audioholics!!! ;)

M

MikeVF

Audiophyte
So this means that the RCA jacks, component video jacks, etc. are unnecessary for the this setup?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, that is correct.

The one drawback is that sometimes HDMI does not actually give you a better image, so you may want to have those component cables ready to test out the component connection vs. the HDMI connection.

Don't buy expensive cables for this, they really won't help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis