Basic Set Up with REW, Drivers, and Software Configuration

R

Rylan

Audioholic
I’m needing some help getting set up with REW. I have been starting to read and learn how to use REW this week. I’m currently reading the AV Nirvana REW Step-by-Step Guide v 6.5 from Dec 31, 2022 written by Austin Jerry. I’m not sure if some things have changed or maybe don’t apply any longer, but I have a few questions with set up while navigating the GUIDE.

I am running windows 11, and currently have the UMM-6 mic. (I have a UMIK-1 on order)

On the REW Soundcard page, I am having an issue with my Output showing “Not Connected”

Under Hardware and Devices/Sound, I have MY AVR X4700h selected by default. On pg. 26 of the guide, it says to install the ASIO4ALL Software. I did this, but when I select AISO for the driver, it won’t find any devices. I am able to see my PC desktop on my TV display.

On the REW soundcard page, when I change the driver to Java, my AVR appears in the Output Device List. Should I assume it's not a connection issue with my AVR since I’m able to see my AVR when switching over to Java? Does it maybe have something to do with the AISO driver I downloaded? This is all new to me so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

1705607691384.png

1705607664264.png

1705607744349.png

Should I not have downloaded the ASIO4ALL software? I read online that the ASIO4ALL was used on an older version of REW to help with multi-channel measurements. Do I want to be able to do multi-channel measurements? I'm not even sure what running measurements looks like at this point or the options surrounding them. I have no knowledge yet of how to run or set up REW. My hope is to learn how to take measurements and improve the sound in my room. I'm spending a few hours every day reading guides and educating myself so I can eventually understand running measurements. Should I only be running JAVA and forget about the ASIO4ALL? I am not sure which direction to go. I just want to make sure I am setting everything correctly from the start

In this post in the AVS forum, there is discussion about this, but there are downloads and advice that confuses me with my limited current knowledge on this topic. Please help

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Looked into this a little bit more.

It seems that you'll need ASIO4ALL if you want to do multichannel testing (IE, more than just your front L & R channels). The other advantage of ASIO is that you'll bypass some of the Windows internal audio processes that can affect final output.

You can just use Java mode too if you want a simple measurement. It may not be as accurate, but I haven't compared myself. I do have an ASIO driver on one of my systems so I might re-measure out of curiousity since I don't think I swtiched it over last time.

I've never used ASIO4ALL, so I have no tips for you concerning setting it up if it's not currently working correctly for you.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
@dolynick, thank you for looking into this! I received another answer on the AVS forum that is very useful information.

“Yes the current download of REW supports 7.1 on Windows using WASAPI exclusive mode already built in. On the Preferences panel you need to select the Java device and the EXCL Output Device for your AVR (shown below from you example above). This will allow you to do 7.1 multi-channel measurements. AustinJerry discusses this on page 42 of his getting started guide.
1705626156157.png

Other preference setting examples (screenshots) for the current REW version can be seen here. If you scoll down in that post you'll find REW Sound Preferences in Win 11
examples, something you had asked about in another thread.

I'm not an REW expert, I leave that to others who are. But I have been using it off and on for several years. I saved links to the posts that helped me transition from the previous REW version to the current, so I thought these would help you as well.”

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
That's interesting. I tried a little earlier with Java but couldn't get it to work. I may have overlooked the EXCL set of devices though, not realizing what it meant. I will definitley have to take another look.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Using the EXCL output does enable multi-channel output assignments.

Wasapi exclusive and ASIO exclusive should be effectively identical and unmodified by Windows, so use whichever is easier and more convenient for you.

R

Rylan

Audioholic
Looking for some terminology understanding. Are Modal Frequencies the same thing as Room Modes?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis