Basic Native 1080p projector selection help!

I

iKokomo

Audioholic Intern
My thrifted Optima HD70 just died and I am in need of a new projector! I am not looking for anything fancy, just 1080p and bright. Most of these are 3000 lumens and all are 1080p, much better than the old Optima’s 720p, 1000 lumens.

I have narrowed it down to two projectors from three brands that are all approximately about the same price (within 50 dollars or so).

My only requirements is the ability to be used about 10-12 feet away on a wall (100 or so inches) so probably a manual zoom of some sort and keystoning.

After reading about these, they kind of all seem the same, what is the difference? Is one really better than the other? Which one of these would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Here are my selections:

Epson Home Cinema 1040

Epson Powerlite HC2030

Optoma HD142X

Optoma HD27

BenQ TH670

BenQ HT1075

I know Epson released new ones today, but I am looking for a good price

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly it boils down to whether or not you like DLP or LCD projectors.

I'm partial to DLP as LCD makes my head hurt due to screen door effect, but DLP causes some to see rainbows.

If you like your current DLP and just want an upgrade, then I'd stick with it. The HD27 gets very good reviews and is very cheap. You probably won't be able to audition any of these, but I'd try to if you can.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not a fan of Optoma's cheap stuff as they have opted for a 2x color wheel with a clear segment to boost brightness claims, while delivering much weaker post-calibration brightness. Certainly as an entry level projector it gets incredibly good reviews from people who buy it and haven't seen anything else. But, it does do well, as most of their products do, after calibration because it is a decent product. The rub is that the BenQ models are better. For home theater, BenQ has opted for a 4x-6x RGB/RGB color wheel in what it offers. It reduces the rainbow effect and increases color saturation and post calibration brightness. In almost all cases where people have tried a cheap Optoma vs. BenQ, they have stuck with the BenQ projector over the Optoma. So, that would be my recommendation. Specifically, the HT1070 or HT2050 if that's in your price range. The HT1070 should be.

LCD is nice, for sure. The Epson models go brighter, no doubt. But, the DLP models will hit better black levels, and typically are sharper overall due to the single chip design. I would stick between the BenQ HT2050 and the Epson 2040 if I were buying entry level and those were what I could get. But, from a HD70, I would think that the HT1070 would be a solid choice. The HT1075 is an older model at this point and would not be my first choice from them.

Rachel Dohmann

Rachel Dohmann

Audiophyte
Here are my selections:

Epson Home Cinema 1040

Epson Powerlite HC2030

Optoma HD142X

Optoma HD27

BenQ TH670

BenQ HT1075

I know Epson released new ones today, but I am looking for a good price
I work for BenQ with our home theater products, and I'm happy to set you up with a unit to try and see how you like it.

Message me if you're interested!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis