Basement Renovation and Sound Proofing

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Hello HT friends,
I have a basement I’m currently renovating and there will be a dedicated room measuring 13’ wide and 27’ in length. The ceiling is 7.5’ high.
I’m currently before the insulation and drywall stages and would appreciate your thoughts-
My purpose is to block sound from traveling upstairs. I don’t care about sound coming from above at all because the space above is covered with carpet and underlayment and has almost no traffic.
I already plan to install a solid door in that listening room and a 5/8” drywall in the ceiling.
Some other options I’m considering and would like to hear your thoughts about are:
1. Installing resilient channels to decouple the drywall from the floor joists
2. Install Rockwool 3” between the floor joists
Which of these options will actually help blocking the sound from traveling upstairs (if any)?
Any other (or better) options for me to use in order to achieve my goal?
Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I can only speak from my own experience. I have a studio in an upper level of my house that has a couple acoustic drum kits and a 2.1 system. We installed acoustic channel and R-12 batting. The kick drums and floor Tom’s and subwoofer travel pretty well through the floor, and some through the door as well. I would say it reduced overall DB’s by about 25-30%. If you were to install channel and roxul and didn’t listen at really high volumes, it might be enough. But I don’t know the tolerance level of your household either. Lol.
I believe a staggered stud wall would be more effective, but might be more expensive. Also not sure how it would translate into a floor/ceiling situation.
This might be more useful…

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello HT friends,
I have a basement I’m currently renovating and there will be a dedicated room measuring 13’ wide and 27’ in length. The ceiling is 7.5’ high.
I’m currently before the insulation and drywall stages and would appreciate your thoughts-
My purpose is to block sound from traveling upstairs. I don’t care about sound coming from above at all because the space above is covered with carpet and underlayment and has almost no traffic.
I already plan to install a solid door in that listening room and a 5/8” drywall in the ceiling.
Some other options I’m considering and would like to hear your thoughts about are:
Which of these options will actually help blocking the sound from traveling upstairs (if any)?
Any other (or better) options for me to use in order to achieve my goal?
Thanks!
To sound proof you really have to build a room within a room, with double doors. If you have HVAC that will blow the whole plan. Bass will beat all less then optimal approaches. You plan will make some difference and worth doing.

E

eagleray

Enthusiast
Hello HT friends,
Any other Edmonton basement development(or better) options for me to use in order to achieve my goal?
Thanks!
i got a unfinished basement and need to set the following. 1. setup 2 rooms and preferably sound proofing between them. both me and my wife are loud and want to use it as our own individual work spaces + heated floors for the basement office 2. what would be the best lighthing so we dont feel we are in the dark underground. 3. add dampers and hopefully motion sensors so the heating and lighting is not wasted when we are not there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis