bare wire or banana plugs

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Please forgive me if this issue has been discussed before, I searched posts and couldn't find any information.

Is there any advantage sound wise or any other reason to use banana plugs over bare wire? Other then the fact that banana plugs are generally easier to remove from the back of the amp and speaker.

Thanks a lot!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
There will almost certainly be no audible advantages to banana plugs over bare wire. There might be advantages in terms of connection security and safety.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Like Irv said, security and safety are big. If you're not experienced handling the bare wire, then theres always the odd change a random strand could escape you and touch something metal and you'd be in some trouble. If the speakers are ever knocked over, or if there are kids who could catch a foot on the wire, banana plugs are a must.

Just stuff like that, or if you'll be plugging and unplugging often. Otherwise, like Irv said no audible difference.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure there is standard answer to this question, but the rule of thumb seems to be plugs out from the receiver, bare wire to the speakers. This varies depending on the situation like Irv and Fuzz have said.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I'm not sure there is standard answer to this question, but the rule of thumb seems to be plugs out from the receiver, bare wire to the speakers.
Whoever came up with that rule of thumb should have their thumbs removed. :rolleyes: :)

I can't think of a situation where I'd willingly choose to use bare wire over banana plugs. The convience and safety factor of banana plugs are far superior IMO.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
templemaners, that's too funny. I am currently using bare wire. I have my speakers bi-wired, so I am not sure how that would work out if I tried to use banana plugs. I went to listen to a new receiver. I plan to upgrade shortly from the Yamaha RX-V2500. I thought I wanted another Yamaha (the RX-A2010) until I heard the Marantz SR 6006. I plan to bi-amp that receiver, so I'll guess I'll go to banana plugs based on every ones advice. Thanks

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
The general consensus is that bi-wiring is "hocus pocus" while it may provide improvement in sound conceptually, realistically any improvements it provides will not be audible.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Bi-wiring = Buy Wiring = Waste of time.

And if your passively biamping your speakers (i.e. the speaker's crossover is still connected), you're wasting your time there as well.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hey,
crossover is not connected. I did remove the straps. And I have to disagree. I did notice tighter bass and improved sound. but that's just me. Was not night and day, but again the sound did improve. I have older infinity speakers, the crescendo 3006, which are very revealing.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey,
crossover is not connected. I did remove the straps. And I have to disagree. I did notice tighter bass and improved sound. but that's just me. Was not night and day, but again the sound did improve. I have older infinity speakers, the crescendo 3006, which are very revealing.
Removing the straps does not bypass the crossover. All that does is feed one amp to the crossover for the highs, and one amp to the crossover for the lows. If you wanted to remove the crossover you'd need to actively biamp which requires an active crossover to be placed in front of the amps such that the amplifies only provide the frequencies that can be handled by each driver, in addition to opening up the speaker cabinet to physically bypass the crossovers.

That said if you like what you hear, keep doing it!

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I bi-amped my speakers because I had the equipment and wanted to try it out to see what all the fuss was about. Can't say I notice any difference. I'll switch it back and forth a couple times to be sure, but it to me it seems the outcome out weighs the cost. I have an XPA-5, and I haven't fully setup my media room, just running 2.1 (2.2) for now. I won't say it works or doesn't work, I just can't notice a difference to justify it. That's just my opinion though. If you see, well hear a difference, then by all means go with it. :D

About the banana plugs I tried a couple different types, and I liked these (Nakamichi) the best. I liked the security of the 2 screws. The other types seem to come loose after time. Some blue thread locker may have cured that, but I never got around to trying it. They also make these in the spade configuration. I would only use them (spade style) on the speaker side though. Good luck!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Thanks for explaining about the crossover. Good info from everyone. I really appreciate it!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
About the banana plugs I tried a couple different types, and I liked these (Nakamichi) the best. I liked the security of the 2 screws. The other types seem to come loose after time. Some blue thread locker may have cured that, but I never got around to trying it. They also make these in the spade configuration. I would only use them (spade style) on the speaker side though. Good luck!

Where did you buy these?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can buy those easily all over the place on the web. They are pretty inexpensive.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
This is just a general question for anyone. Why do newer receivers offer the option to Bi-amp your speakers using 2 of the receiver's internal amps, and state in the manual that you will hear an improvement in the sound quality, when a lot of people think there is no benefit?? Is there anyone out there who who uses this feature and does here an improvement in sound??

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
For the same reason people will sell you $500 a foot speaker wire, some people will most certainly hear an improvement. Given how a modern receiver operates, assigning the front stereo channels to two additional amps is something that is basically free for them to do, allowing them to add another feature to the list. Additionally, though it may not offer you any sonic improvements you do get some additional power from using the two amps.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is just a general question for anyone. Why do newer receivers offer the option to Bi-amp your speakers using 2 of the receiver's internal amps, and state in the manual that you will hear an improvement in the sound quality, when a lot of people think there is no benefit?? Is there anyone out there who who uses this feature and does here an improvement in sound??
For the same reason people will sell you $500 a foot speaker wire, some people will most certainly hear an improvement. Given how a modern receiver operates, assigning the front stereo channels to two additional amps is something that is basically free for them to do, allowing them to add another feature to the list. Additionally, though it may not offer you any sonic improvements you do get some additional power from using the two amps.
Exactly: Whether or not their claims are valid, they are trying to sell you something. The people who are telling you it doesn't make a difference most likely aren't.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just as an aside, I avoid metal banana plugs. Not the bananas themselves, the grips. Heaven forbid one should get loose and short against the other one. That kinda defeats their purpose, IMNSHO.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I strongly do not recommend those. They're single-use bananas, because the plug is so easily kinked.

The "Nakamichi" plugs with the standard banana end may be fine, but the Z-tooth ones are just crap.

Just as an aside, I avoid metal banana plugs. Not the bananas themselves, the grips. Heaven forbid one should get loose and short against the other one. That kinda defeats their purpose, IMNSHO.
Ditto. My favorite bananas are still the 95-cent nickel-plated ones from PE. If they would come out with a series of those with double set screws I'd never have looked elsewhere...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis