Banana Plugs - do we need them?

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Banana plugs definitely good!

I know that there are many experienced audio experts that will insist on bare wire and I think that to a certain extent they are correct in saying that it gives you the best connection (especially if you are making several runs in and out of walls for home theaters). However, the convenience of using banana plugs is appreciated especially when you want to ensure that everything is connected properly. I like the GLS expanding banana plugs because they fit nice and snug and don't move. Also, for those in the DIY category for speaker wire, it certainly allows you to go with heavier gauge wiring without having to worry about fitting it at either the speaker or receiver end. One other benefit is that structurely, the banana plugs take some of the stress off of the wire itself. Obviously though, you also generally need to provide more room behind the speakers and the receiver for making those connections too.

Dumar

Audioholic
I could talk banana all day :)

Experienced audio experts notwithstanding, the best connection is a soldered one ... period. We have to connect our speakers to the amp somehow and the best way to do that, although not practical, is to solder the speaker wire directly to the output stage. The only reason we are using bare wire to make these connections is because someone in the audio industry gave us this option (which is convenient for most people). No where else do you see bare wire connections. We don't strip back a little insulation and stick our power cords into the wall socket, :eek: and we don't use bare wire to connect dvd payers, etc. If bare wire makes the best connection, why aren't people insisting that all their equipment be connected that way?

Anyone that knows their way around a test bench is familiar with the banana as a tried and true connection medium that's been around for ages. The reason we are having this discussion is because some smart guy in the audio industry said "why in the heck is everyone using bare wire to connect their speakers? ... that's crazy ... lets give em bananas!".

Although I don't buy snake oil, you will notice that the "very best" speaker cables come terminated, and there's a reason for that.

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
What about the compression style like this one? compression plugs from parts express I don't trust myself to solder anything at all, and I'm using these guys. Guess what, I love em. They replaced some radioshack plugs that I bought that had trouble accepting 12g wire.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Only $34.50 each??!! Why that's barely a skosh over $950 US to connect all of the speakers in a 7.1 surround system. Bargin of the decade if you ask me, after all it does "produce a chemically optimum contact point".

B

bobman1235

Audioholic Intern
Dumar said:
Experienced audio experts notwithstanding, the best connection is a soldered one ... period. We have to connect our speakers to the amp somehow and the best way to do that, although not practical, is to solder the speaker wire directly to the output stage. The only reason we are using bare wire to make these connections is because someone in the audio industry gave us this option (which is convenient for most people). No where else do you see bare wire connections.
Um... I have to take issue with your "counterexamples"...
We don't strip back a little insulation and stick our power cords into the wall socket, :eek:
Uh, no, but there are what amount to spade connectors (the plug) that goes into the wall. Do you solder your plugs to the wall socket?? :eek: :eek:

and we don't use bare wire to connect dvd payers, etc
No, you use RCA connectors for the most part, unless you're talking optical connections. Or do you strip your RCA plugs and solder those directly too?

So based on your two examples, we should either be using plug-type connectors or RCA-type connectors. Unless your point was that if someone were to use banana-style connectors, they should be soldering THOSE to the wire... but I don't think I read that.

Dumar

Audioholic
bobman1235 said:
Unless your point was that if someone were to use banana-style connectors, they should be soldering THOSE to the wire...
Bingo. You got it, bobman1235.

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
They are insulated - sort of

Leprkon said:
timw said:
I have a question about this type- shouldn't they be insulated, rather than exposed metal ? :confused: :confused: it would be very easy to short out across them...

The Monster quick-connect have a rubber base on the lower part of the connector that prevents them from shorting out somewhat, but they can still make contact at the ends if you are not careful, but then so will all banana plugs. I am using Belkin 5000 UE 12 ga speaker cable from Blue Jean Cable and it is very stiff and keeps the plugs spread apart when unplugged where they will not short very easy. I can hold the cable up with the plugs on the bottom and they will not touch. They do not have nearly as much contact area as a "regular" screw-down plug which is 100% metal; I always shrink wrapped those types to prevent shorting.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
History forgotten is history repeated.

There is no reason why Banana plugs can't be used as an acceptable interconnect for hooking up speakers.

Soldering is also an option I guess but not very practical either. Soldering can have problems too, if not done properly, you can create a cold solder joint which can be brittle and suffer poor connection mating and thus increase your resistance.

The old Banana plug vs. bare wire debate came about years ago when poor quality control was an issue in manufacturers assembling speakers with binding posts. They often had poor tolerances(wide variations) and used several suppliers and molds for making binding posts/banana plug which made it very difficult to match banana plugs to binding posts. Alot of time, it was a matter of trial and error before finding an adequate solution which in the end just meant that bare wires were just simpler to use. But hooking up bare wires after eating a bucket of KFC added its own issues... :) LOL :)

Reputable speaker mfgs. recognized these issues and have since made improvements. There are always 'tolerance' factors but they should be minimal.

Sincerely, as long as you have a clean connector (no digital fingerprints, oils etc) with proper isolation to prevent shorts and that has adequate contact surface with the binding post, I can't imagine why you would have problems. Some that offer a high compression/locking design can improve the snugness and fit of the connection and make it more secure.

Even though the surfaces might be smooth, at the microscopic level the surfaces are rough, full of dips and voids that result in resistance due to lack of contact surface, so high compression plugs might help mate the connectors better but i would think that a conductive lube/grease might help lower resistance just as easily by increasing the conductive surface by filling in the gaps/voids, but I have never tried.

Anyhow, Good luck

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
warpdrive said:
Talk about blinging connectors

In their defense, they *are* great connectors. I saw somebody lift a bookshelf speaker up by the wires with WBT plugs. So the connection is pretty optimal I would say.
I bet you can hang a Krell amp with these wires and those connectors, too. Check out the price at the bottom. I may order a 500' spool today.

http://www.stealthaudiocables.com/indra/index.html

Dumar

Audioholic
HookedOnSound said:
Soldering can have problems too, if not done properly
You’re right, HookedOnSound, there can be problems with soldering if not done properly ... just like anything else. But soldering really isn’t that difficult, and soldering speaker wire to a banana takes no time to master (we’re not talking board level repair here). ;)

I have a problem with these screw down compression bananas because what you are doing is introducing another connection point, and therefore additional resistance to the system. The other issue I have with bare wire connections is that they leave the copper exposed to atmosphere, which causes the strands to oxidise, also increasing resistance. Additionally, and this is especially true with larger gauge wire, it’s difficult to maintain adequate pressure on the wire because it continues to compress over time. Every time it gets a little loose, a little more oxidization occurs. :(

Whoever thought we could waste so much time talking banana? :)
This is great!

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe if I sell my house I could buy the whole setup for my H/T room, which would then be in a van down down by the river!!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis